Complaint Review: Rooms to go

• Updated: Thu, February 20, 2014

• Reported By: electrocret — Dallas Texas
Rooms to go
6041 L.B.J Freeway Dallas, Texas USA

Rooms to go Refuses to Honor 1 Year warranty or Lifetime leather warranty Dallas Texas

*Consumer Comment: same situation happening to me

*UPDATE Employee: Follow Up

I ordered a sectional and matching ottoman May 2013 (about 9 months ago) , and one of the sections is already broken, and rooms to go has repeatedly refused to uphold their 1 year warranty, or their lifetime leather warranty (which I payed extra for). I have had their technicians out twice for a broken front support, which they claim is “Customer damage” when it clearly is not. I have also attempted to contact them on the peeling leather, which they simply do not respond to or acknowledge my email. I have paid ~$1650 ($1520 couch + $130 Leather warranty) on a couch that I can only use 3/4ths of due to a company not willing to honor their own warranty.

Whole story:

Shortly after receiving the couch the leather began showing wear and peeling despite following their monthly leather conditioning regimen provided under the lifetime leather warranty. [continued below]....

..... I had decided to ignore the leather issues until it got bad enough to warrant a service call. The frequently used seats began to creak when sat in. I didn’t think much of it until the support on the most frequently used seat broke. I called rooms to go out to examine the couch, and have the issue repaired. When the technician was taking the sectional apart, he rubbed the left recliner against the wedge, and ripped the leather. He made no mention that he had damaged the leather.

When the technician removed fabric from the broken support, He did not ask how it happened. He did not examine the wood for defects. Nothing. He simply asked to take a picture of the break, which I of course allowed, then was complete with his investigation. I told the technician to not put the couch back together since the section isn’t safe to sit in until repaired. A week later I received a call from their customer service with the results. Customer service found that the damage was caused by the customer. They offered no suggestion on any additional service outside of the warranty or any plan on remediation. They practically told me customer damage was the cause then hung up the phone.

A week later I look at the couch support to see if the support is fixable. That’s when I found the ripped leather on the wedge. When I examined the support I found multiple points where the wood was delaminated (See attached pictures), which would compromise the integrity of the wood, and be classified as a manufacturing defect, and would fall under their 1 year warranty. I scheduled another technician visit the following week via email. Once I had the visit scheduled I responded to rooms to go mentioning all the issues with the leather and included pictures. A week later when the technician arrived I had not gotten a response from their customer service, and the issue hadn’t been relayed to the tech.

I showed the tech the issues with the leather, and he said that it’d be under warranty, however he couldn’t relay the issues to the customer service department because his service request was only for the couch support. I showed the tech the delamination of the support, and told him how it broke when I sat down on it, and that we in no way have mistreated our couch. He said that the support did look to be defective, and that it shouldn’t break under the weight of a 200 lb man sitting on it. However his work order was only to provide the customer service department pictures of the support, and they would determine what the cause was. I of course allowed him to take a picture of the support. A week later I received a call from the customer service department saying once again customer damage was the cause.

That brings us to where we are now. Rooms to go customer service department refusing to “... guarantee our furniture for a full one year against manufacturer defects or we will repair or replace at our option.” (per rooms to go pamphlet) I am appalled that I have had to resort to writing this to get their customer service to hopefully service their customers. I have purchased my bedroom set, dining room set, and living room set, about $6000 total, from rooms to go thinking it was a reputable company. If I had known that their customer service was this abysmal I would have gone somewhere else.

(Order# 4336211, Order# 4336212, Store#2105)

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/20/2014 07:55 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rooms-to-go/Dallas-Texas-75240/Rooms-to-go-Refuses-to-Honor-1-Year-warranty-or-Lifetime-leather-warranty-Dallas-Texas-1125036. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rooms to go

same situation happening to me

AUTHOR: Christine Garcia - ()

I wanted to respond because I am in the same situation right now. We have a sectional that was represented as having a solid wood frame from the sales associates and online. Come to find out, it is made of particle board, which is what yours looks like as well.

In January,  my husband who weighs about 250 sat down and we heard a crack and the sofa collapsed in one section. I called and a service tech wasnt able to come out until 3 weeks later to take pictures.  Same as you, they said its not a defect and they will not cover anything. At this point, it was broken in 2 spots. The tech said the second happened as a result of the first because we were still using the sofa. Who knew I needed to sit on the floor for 3 weeks.

I have been waiting on calls from a  supervisor for almost a week and the only thing customer service could recommend is another tech to come out and take more pictures. Sounds like this is gonna be a long road. I have emailed our friend ashley twice recently as well but still no response.  Keep us posted here if you have any luck. Thanks

AUTHOR: TellUsRTG - ()

Wow! I am very sorry to hear that this is happening with your leather sectional and for the frustrations caused in the process. Rooms To Go does have a 1 year manufacturer warranty for our merchandise. This is for any manufacturer defects that could arise within the first year. However, I would like to resolve this issue for you the way it should have been handled the first time you contacted us. Could you please send these pictures to me to Tellus@Roomstogo.com "Attention Ripoff Report"? Thank you, April.