Complaint Review: Roto-Rooter Plumbers

• Submitted: Mon, August 25, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, June 13, 2010

• Reported By:Grand Prairie Texas
Roto-Rooter Plumbers
3817 Conflans Irving, Texas U.S.A.

Roto-Rooter Plumbers, Matt Torre Overcharge for Water Heater Replacement Irving Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: Hang in there

*UPDATE Employee: You used my name instead of the company..

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: ex employee other roto rooter idaho

We (my wife and I) discovered that our water heater was leaking from the bottom and given its age, a replacement was required. On a Saturday afternoon, my wife was able to get Roto-Rooter to agree to send a technician out to our home. A Matt Torre came to my home and after an inspection, wrote up an estimate specifying $1524.00 plus parts (water heater, drain pan, shut off valve and sundry items). "Parts" are marked up at a rate of 1.4 times their cost to Roto-Rooter, so a $400.00 water heater from a supplier will add $560.00 to the bottom line, plus all of the others, including inspection. Mr. Torre also clearly stated that he and another plumber would take "all day" to do the installation (an effort to justify the labor charge, or so it would seem.)

Roto-Rooter would cost me easily over $2000 dollars, probably in excess of $2100.00, after all the extras (the parts and inspection) were added on.

We wisely did not go with Roto-Rooter, but chose Home Depot instead. Our iniitial estimate for parts and labor was under $1000.00. When they came out with the replacement heater they added about $500 to the estimate, based on the difficulty of the installation. About $600 cheaper, and the HD techs took under 2 hours to do the installation.

I'm grateful that we dodged the bullet of the price-gouging practices of Roto-Rooter.

Mkandrac
Grand Prairie, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/25/2008 03:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Roto-Rooter-Plumbers/Irving-Texas-75061/Roto-Rooter-Plumbers-Matt-Torre-Overcharge-for-Water-Heater-Replacement-Irving-Texas-366718. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Roto-Rooter Plumbers

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Hang in there

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

Hey Matt

Hang in there Matt,The $1500.00 price sounds a little high to me as well,but you don't set the price that your company charges.Roto Rooter has been in business for 75 years.They know what they have to charge.How many other companies do you know that has been around that long.This customer did what he should have done,he got another Estimate.I hope it works out for him.In 1995 this company was doing sales of 52 million $.Today they are producing 350 million per year.They must be doing something right.My guess is that Roto Rooter gave the man a FREE estimate.What is he bitching about?

You used my name instead of the company..

AUTHOR: Mrplumber - (U.S.A.)

First off, I just want to state how upset I am, that YOU are going to ruin my reputation by time I get my own company, if I even do. The slander was more towards me then the company. I just work for the company, however I look at all the other postings and it states the company name and the word "employee", it DOES NOT state their first and last name. Your unreal.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

ex employee other roto rooter idaho

AUTHOR: Jeffr1503 - (U.S.A.)

yes that was a bit much. Why did you wait until a weekend? most do charge extra.for weekend. Use to install for home depot. You got screwed. 600.00 more wow My avg time to replace water heater (gas) in basebent in 70-80 year old homes 32min. plus most home depot water heaters do not meet code or laws. due to the recovery rate of said heater. if yours is 50gal gas yours has 59gph recovery assumeing you have at least two bath, law states80gph recovery. And it is a american brand heater. good luck with your warranty if you should have a problem with it.