Complaint Review: Rotti Motors (Clinton IA)

• Submitted: Wed, November 06, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, November 06, 2013

• Reported By: Ace Brown — Quincy Illinois
Rotti Motors (Clinton IA)
1641 South Bluff Blvd Clinton, Iowa USA

Rotti Motors ,Clinton Iowa, Jerry Irvine we purchased a houseboat from Rotti Motors and delt with Jerry Irvine, the discription of the boat was not what it actually was, I had to work on the boat for a full day just to hear it run, MY CHOICE. We pumped about 200 gal of water out of the hull which Jerry swore was rain water. Clinton Iowa

*Author of original report: Maybe My Choice

*Consumer Comment: Just Curious...

ON Oct/26/2013 My wife and I purchased a 1978 Gibson Houseboat, the engines would not start let alone run so befor I purchased the boat I made it well aware that I would not buy the boat without hearing both engines run. I worked on this boat myself just to hear the engines run and finally came to the point that I was ready to make an offer. I told Jerry Irvine that the boat was not worth the asking price of 11900.00 and offered him a price of 11500.00.

He accepted and I baught the boat.  We palnned on leaving Fulton Il that same day and started gearing up fo the trip. We left the Fulton Marina right about 430 and made it across the river to the Clinton IA Marina which is not even 1 mile from were the boat was sitting befor. The boat broke down and We stayed the night at clinton Marina, the next day we had to replace both starters, both carberators, both fuel filters, drain both fuel tanks one new alternator, one new ignition switch, 2 new batteries, spark plugs and wires on both engines, 2 new builge pumps, oil changes on both engines, fresh water pump inside, new spot light.

At 230 pm we finally left the clinton Marina and made it 2 miles down stream and the boat broke down again, the vibration coming from the starboard side engine was so bad it violently shook the whole boat. after removing the check valves on both the fuel tanks the engines started and we were under way again. we made it down stream about 10 miles and realized that the boat was taking on water, we turned the builge pumps on and didnt make it to much further until we broke down again, this time it was the starboard side v drive locking up. My wife who was following us via our vehicle on the road drove to Burlington Ia to buy a vdrive for this boat, we replaced the vdrive and were up and running again.

I contacted Jerry and told him about the bad condition of the boat and he did apoligize but did not offer any comensation for all the parts, labor and/or problems we were having with his boat.  Unfortunatly we didnt make it very far when we relaized that the batteries were not taking a charge. Upon inspection we realized that when the ignition system was changed over from points to hei the stator wire was not hooked back up. we finally sorted out that problem and as the sun went down we tried using the spot light and realized that the spot light didnt work.

We literally faught this boat all the way to Quincy IL (200 miles) what should have taken 2.5 days took us every bit of 6 days. On 11/2/2013 we pulled in to my slip at Quincy Il and I contacted Jerry about a closing on all the problems with the boat and most importantly the hull leak, he swore that the boat has never had a leak. I told him that either he can have this boat back for a full refund or he can compensate me 1500.00 for all the repairs I had to make just to get the boat down to Quincy IL. of course he refused and of course Im am currently in the process of taking him to court. I wouldnt do any business with Rotti Motors because he will take your money and run, leave you stranded and broke and not care about the situation he put you or your family in at all. The witnesses I had on the boat with me include My 16 year old son, a Master Marine Technition and of course Myself. The whole converstion befor the sell, during the sell ad after the purchase of the boat was recorded via mine and my wifes cell phones. Beware of Rotti Motors

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/06/2013 01:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rotti-Motors-Clinton-IA/Clinton-Iowa-52732/Rotti-Motors-Clinton-Iowa-Jerry-Irvine-we-purchased-a-houseboat-from-Rotti-Motors-and-d-1097431. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rotti Motors (Clinton IA)

Maybe My Choice

AUTHOR: Willy Wonka - ()

Well, are you married? My wife fellin love with the interior of this boat, We were told that the boat was sitting for 3 years. I agree that the boat was probably sitting for a while and not being used. Therefor if I could hear the boat run I and my wifewould be satisfiedand we could move on. Im not saying that I am sorry for the purchase of this boat but I think that after pioliting this vessel down the river there is much more wrong than I was told. All I asked for was either a small amount of money be returned in order to help with the known repairs tothe boat.

I and my wife was in contactwith him since the purchase of the boat and I reported everything that was found to be wrong with the boat. Were I live there are no boat yards, lift out cranes or anything in that matter to get a bigger boat out of the water. The closest placeis either 1.5 days north or 1.5 days south of were I live. Dont get me wrong, Im not mad, I have made the purchase of this vessel, Im not sorry I baught this vessel, but I only wish he would have told me everything that was wrong with this boat. I asked for a $1500 refund because of all the things that are wrong with this boat. He kept kinda shrugging me off and even toldmy wife that now wasnt a good time because he was at an auto auction, Wll, please tell me when is a good time for a sinking boat????

However I will go out on a branch and say that Jerry did not pressure me into buying this boat, he just didnt tellme the whole truth about the boat. Unfortunatly I had to find out on my own.

Just Curious...

AUTHOR: Jim - ()

If YOU had to expend your own time to get the engines to start and run on a boat which wasn't even yours at that point, why would you think the intelligent thing to do was to buy it???