Complaint Review: ryder truck rental

• Submitted: Tue, July 31, 2001
  • Updated: Tue, January 08, 2002

• Reported By:Pembroke Pines FL
ryder truck rental
P.O Box 494850 Redding, California U.S.A.

Ryder Truck Rental from hell, no customer service

I called the 800 number and reserved a truck for 06/27/01 and I reserved this truck on my credit card on 05/25/01, app. 1 month previous to the move. I called several times (app. 1x every week) to ensure there was no problem, since this was a one way long distance move. I called app. 1 week previous to my move, and was told everything was fine, and my truck would be ready on the 28th as planned. Well, such was not the case.

On 06/27/01 at app. 2:30 pm, I called Rolrite Towing and was informed that my truck had been cancelled. She was very rude and told me to call the 800 number to see if they had one at another location as she didnt have any. She also informed me that they did not even plan on having a car carrier for this date.

I called the 800 number, and was informed that my reservation had been cancelled. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was transferred to Sharon. Now, this was 3pm on the date before I was supposed to pick up this truck. Sharon told me that it is very unfortunate but my reservation was cancelled as they had no trucks available.

Now, it is 3pm, the day before I need this truck. I asked her when they were going to inform me, and I also asked her when they were going to inform me as offices close at 5pm. She replied that they were going to call me but they didnt get to it yet. She also informed me that the ops manager was trying to get me a truck, and she would inform him again, and he would call me. Well, I never heard from him.

This is TOTALLY irresponsible of the management. No one ever even called me to tell me that my truck will be cancelled and to make other plans. Now, where am I supposed to get another truck with less than 24 hours notice? Well, I was very lucky, I found a great company, very reliable, called Penske Truck Rental. It ended up costing me $1851.01, app. $557.38 more, because of such short notice. I called several other truck rentalcompanies, but no trucks were available, nor car carriers. This was the only truck left. Now, what would Ryder do, say if I was unable to get a truck?

This cancellation not only caused me to consider movers, but I also sent my children on Spirit Airlines for an additional loss of $186. Sharon, customer service dept. used the unfortunateover and over again. Ryder should be ashamed of themselves. I feel Ryder, if anything, should reimburse me $557.38 plus the $186.75 for my airline tickets, that is the least they can do for all the trouble they have caused me and my family, all the aggravation and stress I had to deal with, and for all the assurances (which were lies) from the customer service staff). All I got from your company was the word "unfortunate used over and over and over again. Not even an apology. I am very sad at this situation, as I thought I was dealing with a reputable company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ryder-truck-rental/Redding-California-96049-4850/Ryder-Truck-Rental-from-hell-no-customer-service-5986. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ryder truck rental