Complaint Review: Safeco Insurance

• Updated: Mon, January 27, 2014

• Reported By: thania — tooele Utah
Safeco Insurance
175 Berkeley St. boston, Massachusetts USA

Safeco Insurance safeco Pedestrian accident in crosswalk will not cover medical bills boston Massachusetts

*Author of original report: the best huh?

*Consumer Comment: Really?

While riding my bike to work about 3/4 of a mile I was hit while corssing the street during a green light, with a walk sign by a woman who was turning left through a non-protected left turn.  She hit me hard enough that my bike and I rolled up onto her hood, and then I was thrown off by her hitting her brakes.  I was knocked unconcious.  When I came to I was being assisted by some people who were waiting for the light to change for their intersection, she was still sitting in her car.  Once she saw I was revived she stormed over and told me "it was my fault I got ran over"  The two witnesses told her she had cut through the intersection at a high rate of speed and she was the one who was at fault.  When the police and ambulance arrived she was cited for no current registration and failiure to yield to a pedestrian.  She is now being prosecuted by the city criminally.  This was 6 months ago on july 26th 2013.

Fast forward to today.  My lawyer is still trying to get safeco to pay my medical bills, my lost work days, replace my bicycle, and get me better.  I had to goto months of physical therapy.  I had to file under my own car insurance so that at least the PIP would be paid to some of the bill collectors.  I now have around $20,000 of bills from the ambulance, MRI's because I was knocked out, and the physical therapy.  That doesn't include how much it hurts every day and what I had to do just to get a little better.  Nor have they replaced my bike, glasses, or helmet.  Safeco doesn't want to own up to anything.  They are doing everything they can because this woman told them it was not her fault when it ever so clearly is simply by reading the police report.  For 3 months they were conducting their investigation trying to find some way to say that the driver wasn't actually the insured, even though she was on the insurance, the insurance was valid, and the insurance was for the car she was driving.

Now everyday is a day I dread because the mail and phone are nothing except hospitals and such trying to collect their debts that I owe.  Every month I have to pay on these debts, its not bad enough to have to shoulder rent insurance and food in this economy but now I have extra burdens placed on me because of bills I didn't create or cause.  Due to safeco's incredably slow pace I shell out an extra 250$ a month for medical bills, when I only make 1000$ a month after taxes.  It;s nice to know that safeco is depleting my savings because they are terrible.  At least my insurance paid out when I called them.  However I now will get higher premiums because I filed against my own insurance.  I never liked insurance companies or lawyers, but now I detest them all.

Tooele Utah

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/27/2014 05:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Safeco-Insurance/boston-Massachusetts-02116/Safeco-Insurance-safeco-Pedestrian-accident-in-crosswalk-will-not-cover-medical-bills-bos-1118853. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Safeco Insurance

the best huh?

AUTHOR: thania - ()

I believe what you are saying is as an agent of safeco since now they are denying my claim.  After 6 months of delays it is now denied and I will end up going to court.  The reason for denial is that they believe that I ran into the car not vice versa, even though the police report has 2 witnesses that back up what I am saying.  Go safeco, if anybody else has safeco I would strongly reccomend that you dump them as fast as possible since they operate by the triple Ds, Delay, Deny and defend. I sure hope that the adjusters pizza party or micro fridge for this quarters profit increase is worth it.

Really?

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

I have had Safeco for almost almost twenty years and have never had a problem covering any accidents I have had.  They paid my medical/therapy bills when I was in a hit and run, paid the owner of a car I hit and even paid to have my door fixed when the wind blew it out of whack. I do not understand the reason you having a hard time with them because they are easy to deal with, pleasant agents and the best insurance company I have ever had.

bones