Complaint Review: Sallie Mae

• Reported By: dbrooks — Lakewood Ohio
Sallie Mae
220 Lasley Ave Hanover Twp, Pennsylvania USA

Sallie Mae Unauthorized debit from my checking account Hanover Twp Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: How did you process your deferment?

*Author of original report: Issue resolved

I contacted Sallie Mae and stated that I would have to defer my student loan bills for the federal loans seeing that I just got laid off and Sallie Mae told me about forbearance options.  I specifically told them that I did not have any money so I would not be interested in the forbearance if I had to pay seeing that I just got laid off from work.  The lady approved the forbearance but never told me about a fee.   I am already on a payment plan for the private loans (of which I can barely afford to pay) of 201 bucks per month.  Today I look up and see an unauthorized charge in my checking account for 325 bucks.  I did not authorize this transaction nor was I told over the phone that they would be debiting this account for the forbearance.   I even received an email from them that gave me no indication that 325 bucks would be coming out of my account. Why did they take 325 bucks from my account is beyond me.  I will be contacting the company tomorrow about a refund.  But I just want to post this complaint somewhere just in case they decide to act funny about it.  There are times where they will transfer you to everyone under the sun before resolving any issues.  I am sick of dealing with this company and wish I had never consolidated with them years ago.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/25/2013 05:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sallie-Mae/Hanover-Twp-Pennsylvania-18706/Sallie-Mae-Unauthorized-debit-from-my-checking-account-Hanover-Twp-Pennsylvania-1078962. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sallie Mae

How did you process your deferment?

AUTHOR: MochaG - ()

Did you simply request for the deferment on the phone only? Did you submit any deferment application/form as well (not talking about supported documents)? All Sallie Mae forms can be found on there website.

If you look at the deferment form on their website for unemployment, at Section 3 number 2, there is a checkbox stating that you will keep paying the interest of the load during the forbearance period. In other words, your payment should be less because there is no principle included in order to keep the total loan amount as low as you can. If you did not fill in the form yourself but processed it on the phone, the other person on the line might have checked this box. As a result, the amount may be the interest only payment.

If you believe you did not check the box, there is an interesting article about Sallie Mae charging fees when a student applies for forbearance. However, the fees would be $50 for every 3 months which is much less than the charge to your checking account -- $325. So I am not sure that it is only the fees. On the same page, there is a link to a blog of a person (Gray) attempting to stop this type of fees. You may find more information from the person.

Issue resolved

AUTHOR: dbrooks - ()

Contacted Sallie Mae and it was just a glitch with the system.  Even though I signed up with a new payment plan the system still had me schedule based on an older payment plan that I must have agreed to a very long time ago.  The amount is supposed to be refunded within the next 3 - 5 business days.