Complaint Review: Sallie Mae

1 Penn Ave Philadelphia , Delaware USA

Sallie Mae Rip Off - Punishing - Cold Hearted People Philadelphia Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Responsibility...

*Consumer Comment: You have the money

In October 2013 my bank account was compromised. I called Sallie Mae to change the automatic deductions from the compromised account to the new account number. Unfortunately my account was frozen until investigation was completed so I requested a push off of October and resume automatic payments be removed in November from the new account and then each additional month as they were origionally scheduled. I spoke with someone, faxed a copy of the police report and bank information, and mailed a second copy to Sallie Mae as requested. Throughout November and December the holidays are rough - I am a single, working mother, I did not notice my Sallie Mae payments were not coming out automatically.

I called Sallie Mae today to explain the payments were not being deducted and I wanted to offer a payment of 1 month now and the other missing month as soon as I receive my tax refund. Is there a way to resolve the issue because they neglected to change my bank information when origionally notified. They said there was no information on file of the changed account and I just neglected my bills, my fault and it must be paid today.

I requested a manager to explain the situation, request he review the files, see how that information could be missing because all of my other accounts transferred okay and received payments from the new account, and to see how it would affect my credit because I am looking to purchase my first home. The manager got on the phone and states it is my fault for not noticing it in December and it had to be paid today or he would ensure delinquency gets reported to the bureaus by end of day. I was disgusted by his remark and explained I do not have the funds - I will as soon as my return comes in. I am looking to purchase a home for me and my children. He said if I had the money to purchase a home then I had the money to pay more per month on my loans and my payments would double each month if I received a mortgage in my name. Is this even possible???

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/13/2014 07:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sallie-Mae/Philadelphia-Delaware-19101/Sallie-Mae-Rip-Off-Punishing-Cold-Hearted-People-Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-1115261. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sallie Mae

Responsibility...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

You spend quite a bit of time talking about THEIR responsibility, yet seem to totally ignore your responsibility in all of this.

First of all when you had a comprimise in October and they "froze" your account.  Okay, understandable.  But what happened to the money that was "frozen", when they released it did you send them the back amount owed for October?  Or did you just figure you could skip a month and not pay it?

Then why when you restarted your payments in November didn't YOU verify that the money came out.  Why didn't you verify it in December.  Then the BIG quesiton..if you were thinking the money came out you obviously must have not spent the money menaing it was still in your account.  If that is the case why must you wait until your refund comes in?

Oh let me guess and give you the answer.  You DON'T actually manage your account and you spent the money.  Well guess what they are RIGHT...the situation you are in is your fault.  Don't get me wrong, they SHOULD have withdrawn the money if you told them to.  But here is the problem and why you are ultimately resonsible.  It is YOUR account, it is YOUR money and it is YOUR responsibility.  This amount should have been accounted for in your register and when it never was deducted you should have been on the phone with them in November wondering why they didn't take it out.

Now, don't pull the "I'm a poor single parent just trying to scrape by, and I don't have time to monitor my accounts".  Oh really...you seem to have time to make sure that all of your other accounts were transfered.  What did you watch on TV tonight?  Yes, you see I know several single parents who quite amazingly work a full time job(one I know actually works a full time AND a part time job).  They still have time to be with their kids AND make sure that all of their bills are paid...so what is your excuse again?

So one final thing, they are correct if you have the money for a down-payment you have the money to make the payments that you legally owe.  You are only talking about 2(or 3) months.  Where if you are truly living that "thin" there is no way you will be approved for a house, especially after the "crash" a few years ago.

As for the Mortgage causing your payments to double.  That actually may be possible, but it wouldn't exactly be because of the Mortgage.  If you are on an income based payment plan, if you show you have a higher income than they have you as your payments could increase when they readjust your payments.

You have the money

AUTHOR: coast - ()

“Throughout November and December… I did not notice my Sallie Mae payments were not coming out automatically.”

So that means you still have the money to meet your financial obligation.