Complaint Review: Sara Schomp

• Updated: Thu, January 16, 2014

• Reported By: Sung L. — San Jose California
Sara Schomp
501 Sandretto Drive Sebastopol, California USA

Sara Schomp, Sara's Oasis Owner canceled my reservation 4 days before arrival and kept my deposit! Sebastopol California

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Sung Lee did not pay the rent.

My experience with this owner was a total nightmare. In Oct 2013, I reserved this property 3 MONTHS IN ADVANCE to celebrate my wife's 30th during the weekend of Jan 10, 2014. Friends were coming from out of town to surprise her. It was a very big deal.

On Oct 29, I gave the owner a $250 deposit by Paypal. Final payment was due Dec 28. However, that date slipped my mind because of the time that passed and because I was busy traveling with my family for Christmas. On Dec 30, the owner emailed me about this. I responded within hours, apologized and told her that I would ask my bank to issue a check to her. The owner replied she was concerned because the check was to be issued on Jan 6, which was 4 days before our arrival. (For some reason, BofA needed that much time to issue the check.) However, I assure her the check would be good. I heard nothing else from her -- until Jan 6.

On the morning of Jan 6, the owner sent me a curt email saying that she was CANCELING MY RESERVATION and WE WERE NOT WELCOME and that she was KEEPING MY DEPOSIT. I was shocked and panicked. She never called or emailed me to say she was about to do this. She just did it.

I called her immediately and left a message apologizing profusely and pleading with her not to do this. I sent an email saying the same. I also begged her to send me a Paypal so I could make a credit card payment immediately (just as I did for my deposit). I heard nothing from her that day.

Then it dawned on me that this owner was going to keep my deposit and rent the house for full value elsewhere just to pad her profit. Why else would she refuse to allow me to pay by credit card? She had no regard for our plans. But there's more…

The next day, she emailed me and claimed that my check arrived and she accused me of "perpetrating a fraud" on her. I was flabbergasted. SHE was the one who had taken my $250, refused my request to make full payment -- and she was calling ME the fraud! Even now, I can't describe I angry and outraged I am.

This owner is, at best, very unstable, or at worst, a cold-hearted swindler. I can't comment on the quality of her property, but I know a great deal about her trustworthiness and decency. Anyone who does business with her is putting their money and vacation at risk. She does not care about your vacation plans or your important life moments.

PS- Only after finding this website to file a report did I find I that she is a REPEAT OFFENDER. If only I had known...

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/16/2014 12:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sara-Schomp/Sebastopol-California-95472/Sara-Schomp-Saras-Oasis-Owner-canceled-my-reservation-4-days-before-arrival-and-kept-my-1116043. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sara Schomp

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Sung Lee did not pay the rent.

AUTHOR: Sara's Oasis - ()

Sung J. Lee did not pay the rent as he agreed to in his rental contract with me. I offered him the opportunity to pay late through paypal using his credit card and sent him an invoice. Four days after the rent deadline, on December 31st he responded saying he had sent a check which would arrive on the 6th of January, four days prior to his stay.  I told him this would not allow time for the check to clear the bank prior to his stay. I offered to accept cash, credit card or paypal payment. He refused to do any of these. When his check had not arrived on January 7th as he’d promised, I notified him and put the house back up for rent.  He lives less than 2 hours from here and if he’d mailed a check it would have reached me the next day. I believed Sung J. Lee had decided not to stay or was planning to stay and not pay.

Unfortunately I was not able to rent the house on such short notice, though I attempted to. As a result of his actions I lost the weekend rental for my vacation property. I understand his anger, however he had every opportunity to make things right and he chose not to. My policy of a non-refundable down payment of $250 upon making the reservation, with final full payment no later than 2 weeks prior to the stay is one of the best in the business. Sung J Lee’s lack of responsibility is unusual.

I invite you to read reviews about my vacation rental on my HomeAway.com and VRBO sites. I’ve been in business for 8 years and have received numerous positive reviews and two complaints.