Complaint Review: Schwans

• Submitted: Mon, April 20, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, December 29, 2009

• Reported By:Watkinsville Georgia
Schwans
115 W. College Dr. Marshall, Minnesota U.S.A.

Schwans SCHWAN'S EMPLOYEE BENEFITS NOT WHAT THEY APPEAR! BEWARE!!!! Marshall Minnesota

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Schwans benefits good

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: If you drive their trucks-make sure you have health benefits and life insurance

Beware Schwan's employees and future risk takers! Schwan's benefits are not what you think they are. After paying for coverage for over 5 years and being told by the company that they pay for half I have just found out that is not true. I have just purchased a 'family' policy for less than what they charged me for an 'employee' policy. And with much better benefits!!!! If I had signed up for a 'family' plan with Schwan's then I would be paying less than half for a 'family' plan as an individual. Seems like Schwan's is making money off their beloved employees.

Also, and the biggest issue of all; Schwan's LTD (long term disability policy is really short term because it only helps you for a total of 12 months. And at that Standard Insurance Company who under writes the policy does everything they can to avoid paying you your benefits. They will lie, cheat and steal to keep from paying you one red cent. Schwan's doesn't tell their new employee this, ever. All they want you to believe is their benefits are the greatest. That's B.S!

God for bid, but if you are ever injured while working, look out. Even if the injury is the companies fault such as faulty equipment, etc. Specialty Risk Services is the Company you get to have ruin your life. And I mean this litterally! They are just as crooked as the rest of them. Schwans is not interested in their employees. Schwan's has very few veterans left as compared to new employees. I know, I was a veteran employee.

Good luck to current Schwan's employees but beware. The company will screw you some how, some way and anyway they can. And for the left-over veterans who aren't qualified to work anywhere else I say good luck your turn is next.

Fabian
A town in America, Minnesota

Screwed by SRS
Watkinsville, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/20/2009 07:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Schwans/Marshall-Minnesota-56258/Schwans-SCHWANS-EMPLOYEE-BENEFITS-NOT-WHAT-THEY-APPEAR-BEWARE-Marshall-Minnesota-445077. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Schwans

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Schwans benefits good

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

As a former employee I was terminated December 23, 2009, how Grinch like.  I was terminated because of low sales in a recession, go figure.  I will say that my benefits at Schwans were not as expensive as other workers at other jobs and they paid for everything when I went to the Doctor.  I also had a on the job injury and Specialty Risk Services was great to work with I had no problems at all with them.  So even tho I was terminated I have to disagree with people bad mouthing their benefits.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

If you drive their trucks-make sure you have health benefits and life insurance

AUTHOR: Ex-schwannie - (U.S.A.)

I 100% agree with the context of this report. After 16 years I was actually let go for questioning several of the companys practices. Their deceptive practices regarding compensation and benefits were high on the list but the number 1 risk a person will face working for Schwans is driving one of their trucks. Most of the fleet is converted to propane. Several years back they bought the company (Bi-Phase) that produced the components necessary for the conversions. They have had several issues over the years but the one that remains constant and the most dangerous is the problems with the oxygen sensors. The company is well aware it has a big issue here yet they choose to ignore it (cost prohibitive) and continue to put their employees at risk on a daily basis. When the sensors go bad the truck will start to run rough leading to a build up in what normally would be the carburetor in a gas engine, thus resulting in a backfire leading to an explosion. The sad part in all of this is that the company chooses not to replace this component during a routine preventative maintenance check due to cost. I guesstimate they have 8-10 trucks burn to the ground on an annual basis.

After our latest issue in October of 2008 (a police officer spotted our truck driving down the road with flames shooting out of the exhaust and thankfully pulled them over) I was so enraged that this continued to happen that I chewed on everyone in that department. Well next thing I know I am being let go ( at will employment). Bottom line is they do not care about you, your family or your safety. Although the benefit package is terribly expensive, if you drive a truck, make sure to take care of yourself because they won't. If you have issues with this report go find any current or ex-mechanics that have worked on Schwan trucks. Good Luck.