Complaint Review: Scott Garland State Farm

• Submitted: Fri, August 22, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, January 20, 2009

• Reported By:Frisco Texas
Scott Garland State Farm
820 S. Alma Drive #120 Allen, Texas U.S.A.

Scott Garland State Farm Told my daughter to partake in illegal business practices, sexually haraased, then fired her when she was going to report him. Allen Texas

*Consumer Comment: Scott Garland is no longer an agent

*Author of original report: update

Texas law prohibits employers with under 15 employees to sue for sexual harassment. But that doesn't change the facts.

My daughter was hired by Scott Garland in October of 2007. By November of that time, he had started to make advances toward her. My daughter is very young and beautiful. He also has a certain twitch, that my daughter said he would do about every two minutes. Customer's had asked her more than once if something was wrong with him.

Scott Garland had no business sense and did not have more than two customer's the first month he was there. Therefore, Scott Garland told my daughter and the other employee's to fake home alert documents, defensive driver discounts, etc, to get customer's. Scott had learned this from his father-in-law, Gary Mims. He also told her too give people discounts for having their homes with him so that they could have lower rates when they had the homes insured with other companies. Then in six months, their premium would go up.He also had people sign life insurance policies, who had no intention of purchasing one. This was so he could have a Free Lunch.

His bosses name was Cody Manthis. He referred to him as the drunk, fat guy that cared more about partying then work. He also would call him my "daughter's boyfriend". This was just because he liked my daughter and would smile and say hi when he came in.Cody Manthis is married with two children. My daughter was raised with morals and would always feel uncomfortable when Garland did this. He also stated that people at State Farm were promoted for sexual harassment. His wife had been a victim and the guy was promoted because of it, he stated. He would then refer to his wife as " damaged goods" and " high risk" because their daughter had a lot of physical problems.

Scott went in and deleted two life insurance policies that my daughter had sold so as not to pay her. He also went in and deleted the life insurance policy information for my son. When we filed a report with the better business bureau, State Farm, not Mr. Garland, who employees had difficulty contacting, sent us the check for the money.

Only once were employees able to contact Scott, at which time he was out of the office, golfing. His tone was unprofessional, and he sounded intoxicated. During working hours he would drink beer and offer his employees them. I won't go into to detail about all the harassment, but it got to the point that my daughter had to see a therapist.With the unemployment rate, she could not quit due to the fact that I had lost my job. She was the only income coming in at that time. But things changed in April of 08 when I got a new job. My daughter broke down in tears and stated all the disgusting things he had said and done. When I told her to tell him she was going to let State Farm know, she was fired.

My daughter was completely miserable while working for Scott Garland, but she still managed to be the number one sales employee. Her two former co-workers still work for Garland, both men. They both had no sales experience and sold half of what my daughter did. My daughter was so traumatized that she rapidly lost weight and was diagnosed with post traumatic stress. Scott Garland was able to get away with the sexual harassment because of Texas law. All I can do is warn the consumer's about the type of person he is.

We pray for Scott Garland.

Donald
Frisco, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/22/2008 07:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Scott-Garland-State-Farm/Allen-Texas-75013/Scott-Garland-State-Farm-Told-my-daughter-to-partake-in-illegal-business-practices-sexual-365704. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Scott Garland State Farm

Scott Garland is no longer an agent

AUTHOR: Retired Sgt - (U.S.A.)

Scott Garland is no longer a State Farm Agent and has been replaced.

update

AUTHOR: Donald - (U.S.A.)

Texas law prohibits employees of companies with under 15 employees to sue that owner for sexual harassment .