Complaint Review: Scout Plumbing

• Submitted: Mon, December 29, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, July 16, 2009

• Reported By:Lake Dallas Texas
Scout Plumbing
1911 Vera Cruz Dr Carrollton, Texas U.S.A.
  • Phone: 972-266-2887
  • Web:
  • Category: Plumbing

Scout Plumbing This company lacks integrity, tried to take advantage of me on Christmas Eve Carrollton Texas

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Owner

My water heater burst on 12/21/08 at about 11:00 pm, the next morning I contacted my warranty company who contacted Scout Plumbing. The tech from Scout showed up Tuesday afternoon and immediately began trying to upsell me.

First, he was offering to sell me a 50 gallon tank for an additional $200, then he offered to reconnect my water for $175.00. After telling him I only wanted him to perform the work the warranty company was paying for he finally took a look at my water heater. Here is where it went from a service call to a "HOLDUP".

The warranty company agreed to replace my water heater which was great but Scout Plumbing wanted me to pay an additional $917.00 in "upgrades and code requirements". I contacted our city code inspector who told me those code requirements Scout was charging me for were optional. I also contacted Home Depot's installation department and they were shocked at the charges as well, they offered to install for $300.00.

I eventually hired a company to install my water heater for well under $300 but I had to spend Christmas in a hotel because of the delay Scout Plumbing caused with my warranty company.

Scout Plumbing saw I was in a very vulerable situation, (no running water, house flooded) and tried to make their Christmas bonuses off of me. I do not believe the tech would have behaved that way if it wasn't an acceptable company practice; this company has no integrity and should be ashame of their behaviour.

Lake Dallas, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/29/2008 08:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Scout-Plumbing/Carrollton-Texas-75010/Scout-Plumbing-This-company-lacks-integrity-tried-to-take-advantage-of-me-on-Christmas-Ev-406057. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Scout Plumbing

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AUTHOR: Owner - (U.S.A.)

Pete has a home warranty company who issued us a work order for his water heater. His home warranty does cover his existing water heater, but does not cover to bring his current water heater up to current city, state, and federal laws. In Mr. Pete's contract with his home warranty, it clearly states in the limits of liabilty section that the warranty does not cover the cost for any permits, modifications, or code upgrades. The current Texas law regarding water heaters, requires liscensed plumbers to bring new installations up to current state or local codes. This is why we gave Pete an estimate of $917.
Lake Dallas does not have a plumbing inspector on staff. Lake Dallas contracts out all plumbing inspections to a third party inspector (Tres Rios inspections). It would be far fetched to believe he contacted his city code inspector when we have delt with Lake Dallas many times and the tri cities area which contracts Tres Rios to inspect any plumbing in those cities.
Home Depot does advertise they install water heaters for a price well below any liscened plumbing company. Mr. Pete has the right to choose whoever he wants to install his water heater. The question of whether Home Depot's installers are liscened plumbers and installed the new unit up to code should be brought up and inspected by a liscensed inspector as required by the state of texas plumbing liscense laws. Whether or not they installed the water heater legally is not that important. Every profitable business sets its rates according to overhead, liscences, and profit margin. I guarantee if Pete were to call any major plumbing company, he would have been very happy with the estimate we gave him.
By no means was this a holdup. Once again, Pete had every right to choose whoever he wanted to install his water heater. These are our normal prices set by our overhead and profit margin. We did inform him we could get him a bigger unit if he wanted at an additional cost, but he declined.