Complaint Review: Security Auto Loans

• Updated: Wed, June 25, 2014

• Reported By: g_schultz11 — Cleveland Ohio
Security Auto Loans
4900 Hwy 169 N, Suite # 205 New Hope, Minnesota USA

Security Auto Loans SAL Wrongful reposession of loan vehicle, car New Hope Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: comment

*General Comment: Yes you did....

I am a Cleveland, OH- area resident. My girlfeiend and I bought a used car at a lot of former rental cars. The loan provider assigned to us was SAL, Security Auto Loans. Simply put, it has been a nightmare working with this company over the last two plus years.

First, there were simple account issues. Fees added, calls for payments received a few days late because of my company's payment schedule, incorrect balances, and the like. You have to watch them and read their bills. Later, our payments fluctuated wildly. We got a continuance on one payment, then they said they forgot that WHEN THEY CAME TO TOW THE CAR.

Twice now, they have found the car using some kind of GPS tracking device. I have worked steadily, but have gotten behind on the account, sure. They know where I live, they know where I work, they know where some of my relatives live. But they came to a meeting site for my company that I've never mentioned and towed it out in front of witnesses. [continued below]....

..... My Boss saw this.

Yesterday, my girlfriend was in the ER of a local hospital. She was later admitted and had to have surgery. They came and towed the car out of the ER parking lot !!!  How did they know it was there ??

We are not wealthy people. This is currently the only car we have /use. It is almost completely paid off !!  I had to take a day off of work to follow up on this matter. She is still in the hospital, and I have to arrange a ride now just to get her home. I walked to the hospital and it's not close by.

I do have an attorney, and we hope to have this company prosecuted as well. We never gave our consent for or agreed to any GPS tracking system for this vehicle as a condition of the loan. If they had insisted on such, we would have said No. We would have balked on the whole loan.

While we move forward with our lawsuit against SAL, I urge anyone considering this company to beware. They have a slew of complaints against them in the BBB, they lie, and as I've described, they steal. No one should seek to have an auto loan with a company like Security Auto Loans. They are a collective insult to their industry.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/25/2014 11:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Security-Auto-Loans/New-Hope-Minnesota-55428/Security-Auto-Loans-SAL-Wrongful-reposession-of-loan-vehicle-car-New-Hope-Minnesota-1157409. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Security Auto Loans

AUTHOR: ChrisC607 - (USA)

Actually, i had my vehicle repo'ed twice by security auto loans. Illegally both times. They did the EXACT same scam with me too. They were downright pushy about them being able to defer a payment. They then would call me up saying something wasn't filled out or so and so didn't remember it. I would have to quick scramble to get the money together at the last moment. I eventually had the person in charge of my account switched to a supervisor. He did the same routine on me. I was in there in person one day, and he swore up and down that they would make sure one would go through properly for me. I didn't really need need to do it, but I was Short that month and it would have helped me live comfortably normal through it so I accepted. I even joked with him saying that he wasn't going to call me up saying that I was late on a payment again was he. He laughed and assured me there would be no problems at all.

I woke up one morning, about a week and a half later, and my vehicle was gone. I made a police report about it being taken. I called SAL to let them know and out of a feeling that they had done it. They had. They didn't follow the legally required procedure either. They had the crooked dealership come pick it up. The dealership resold the repo'ed vehicles. Illegally. The law requires the vehicle to be stored, and after X amount of time, to be sold in an auction. The amount they get is to be deducted from balanced owed. They were going to have the dealer resell it. While they had it, the dealership or repo guy stole my subs and amp and 2 CD books, 200+ CDs in it, and my leather jacket. I wasn't about to tolerate this. I did some research, and learned I could technically rerepo it back from them.

As long as I followed the same laws they had to in taking possession of it. I drove there in my 2nd car, parked it 2 lots away, got in my Durango, started it up, and drove it home. Before doing so, I called the Columbia heights police department. I explained the entire situation to them, and told them i was going to be taking the vehicle at 5am. They put me on hold to check if it was legal and came back on the phone and thanked me for letting them know. SAL was really ticked off when they called me later. They threatened me about calling the cops. I told them I had called beforehand and got the ok to more forward on things. They verified with the police and denied up and down any wrong doing. Suddenly the supervision had no memory of any of the conversation. I kept the vehicle blocked from being able to be towed, but one day I was late to work and just parked it unblocked and they took it again. Illegally. I made my payments. It was not 2 months behind. They bold faced lied. If you see Security Auto Loans as a lender, run from the dealership. Most likely the dealer is a crook and in it with them.

#2 General Comment

Yes you did....

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

I would suggest checking all that paperwork you signed. It is not illegal or wrong for them to have a GPS unit in the vehicle. With the state of our economy its only WISE to be to find and track YOUR PROPERTY when someone has not paid on it. One would think that YOU would understand. But im guessing you are one of those self-entitled dipwads who thinks the world revolves around them and that ANYTHING that happens to YOU is UNFAIR and UNJUST!!! YOU need to grow up and accept that if you don't pay your bills, they take away their toys. YOU are how far behind?? I know from my own experiences that they do not initiate the repo until you are atleast TWO MONTHS behind. Since you claim to have been repoed a few times, this tells everyone who reads your complaint that YOU are a habitual deadbeat. So maybe its a good thing there is a GPS in the vehicle. YOU might decide to just up and NOT pay your bill again and this time run to Mexico with the vehicle. THEY DONT KNOW AND GIVEN YOUR HISTORY WITH THEM THEY CANNOT KNOW!!! Why is it that YOU are the deadbeat, but when they come and collect THEIR PROPERTY, THEY are the bad guys?? How does that work exactly?? Im sure that if YOU ran a business like theirs that YOU would have vehicles repoed if YOU did not get paid. WHY is it a moral sin when they do it?? Oh that's right, with the universe revolving around YOU its ONLY FAIR when YOU do it. Get over it and grow the hell up.