Complaint Review: Sentry Recovery & Collections

• Updated: Thu, March 10, 2011

• Reported By: Rachel.D — las vegas Nevada USA
Sentry Recovery & Collections
3080 S Durango Dr Ste 203 Las Vegas, Nevada United States of America

Sentry Recovery & Collections Mr. Allen Company violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Las Vegas, Nevada

*Consumer Suggestion: Take Action Against Sentry and Partners, Strength in Numbers

When this company first contacted me regarding a debt from an apartment complex, I was told to come into the office to set up a payment agreement.  I went in and signed some paperwork saying that I was to pay $25 every 2 weeks, and it would be automatically charged to my debit card.  I explained to them that this would work best for me since I have a 2 year old daughter, work full time and also go to school.  They took a photo copy of my card and everything.  Then a few weeks later, when I noticed that the payments were never taken out, I called the company and was told by Mr. Allen that I was in default and they were in the process of garnishing my wages.  Turns out what a signed that day I went in was a judgment against me - I had no idea.  Also I was told that they NEVER take debit cards or automatic payments, so they basically fabricated that whole payment agreement knowing that I would go into default.

So in order to stop my wages from being garnished, i had to go back in the office and set up a NEW agreement, and they said they wouldnt accept anything unless I gave them $500 cash right away.  I couldn't do that, so I agreed to give them $250 that day, and another $250 two weeks later.  Ms. White from the 'legal department' agreed to this, and we outlined a new payment plan which included 2 mothly payments of $25.

Less than 2 weeks later, I'm on my way to California for a weekend and my debit card is declining out of no where.  I call the bank and come to find out Sentry placed a legal hold on all of my accounts.  At this point, my 2nd payment from the new agreement wasn't even due yet.  I called and spoke to Mr Allen once again, and have never dealt with such an unprofessional, disrespectful business person.  He told me that when they were garnishing my wages, they were also garnishing my bank account at the same time.  When I asked why this wasn't stopped along with the wage garnishment when I paid the $250 cash, he said that it's not his problem and it was my fault because I was the one that let the account go into default.  He also used some other name calling, bullying tactics in trying to get me to come in with $750 cash to unfreeze my accounts.  He said things along the lines of "you are an incompetant mother and pathetic excuse for a human being," among other things, eventually reducing me to tears.  Mind you that I was stuck in california with absolutely NO access to any of my money.

Long story short, I had to wait until I came back to Vegas on monday and talked to a lawyer to get my accounts released.  The lawyer advised me to just make the agreed upon payment ($250 which was due the next day), and she would follow up with the company to have my accounts released.  According to my lawyer, it was a mistake on their part to even allow my bank to be garnished after a new agreement was established.  Unfortunately she said there was nothing that could be done regarding the way that Mr. Allen treated me.  I still have to call and speak to this guy every 2 weeks to make a $25 payment over the phone, and I get a nasty attitude everytime I ask for a simple confirmation number, or the remaining balance.  I'm sure when I'm about to be done paying off the account, I will have some more problems, and if I do I will be sure to repost.  If you think a class action is possible, feel free to contact me.  I already filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau, Attorney General, and the Federal Trade Commission.

I am appalled that this company is still operating and treating people like this on a daily basis.  If there is anything more that I can do please let me know.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/10/2011 01:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sentry-Recovery-Collections/Las-Vegas-Nevada-/Sentry-Recovery-Collections-Mr-Allen-Company-violates-the-Fair-Debt-Collection-Practice-704948. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sentry Recovery & Collections

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Take Action Against Sentry and Partners, Strength in Numbers

AUTHOR: Asia - ()

Senty and partner agencies have sone the same scenario to countless people, this is how there money is made. The truth is irrelevant to them. Please contact me at 702 774 4775. There is a way you can possibly recoup your money and possibly remove derogatory account from report. There is Strength in Numbers.