Complaint Review: Shell gas station

• Updated: Thu, March 06, 2014

• Reported By: Josefina — Denver Colorado
Shell gas station
1233 s Sheridan blvd Lakewood co 80232 Lakewood, Colorado USA

Shell gas station If you pay with a card and you don't ask for a receipt they charge $55 even if you pumped only $10 Lakewood Colorado

*Consumer Comment: Let me guess...

Yesterday I ran out of gas an had my auntie drive me to shell gas station to get a couple of gallons, I pumped only $10, them I drove to shell again and pumped $30 later I received an email from my bank with my account balance saying that I had made a $55 purchase at shell at 4:31 pm and another purchase purchase of $55 at 4:53. But since I didn't ask for a receipt I don't have proof that I only pumped $40 of gas and not the $110 they're charging me, this had happened before at another shell location but that time they could only charge $10 more because my account had only $20 in it, that time I only pumped $10 because I knew I didn't have money in my account. If you can please let everybody know about what these people are doing, imagine how many people have been scammed and not even know it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2014 06:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Shell-gas-station/Lakewood-Colorado-80232/Shell-gas-station-If-you-pay-with-a-card-and-you-dont-ask-for-a-receipt-they-charge-55-e-1128418. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Shell gas station

Let me guess...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

You used your card to "Pay at the Pump".

How do I know, because what you are describing is an Authorization.   Because a Gas Station does not know how much you are going to pump, so they request an authorization amount that "should" cover your purchase.  Now, because of how a Debit Card works the amount that is authorized is deducted from your Available Balance.

In the case of Shell and your bank that appears to be $55.  Where had you actually pumped $55 you would have found that the pump would stop because you hit this Authorization amount.

Now, in most(but not all) cases when you complete your purchase the Gas Station releases the hold and puts through the real charge immediatly.  However, due to many factors this may take additional time..even up to several days.

What you will find is that at some point in the near future the $55 charges will "fall off", and the real amount of gas that you purchased will be posted to your account.

There is one way to avoid this in the future.  When you go to get gas, go inside and let them know what specific amount you want to be charged.  When you do this there is no hold put on your card and the only charge you will see is for the amount you specified.

Oh and yes this applies to ANY bank and ANY Gas Station when you pay at the pump.