Complaint Review: Silverleaf Resorts, Inc

• Reported By: PDB — Chicago Ridge Illinois
Silverleaf Resorts, Inc
1221 Riverbend Drive, Suite 120 Dallas, Texas USA

Silverleaf Resorts, Inc Silverleaf Scam Dallas Texas

On 8/11/2013, I attended what I thought was a two-hour presentation regarding travel and lodging with Silverleaf Resorts, Inc.  After about four hours I was roped into buying a timeshare ownership under the guise that I actually owned something and that I could maintain my travel habits (I vacation yearly) and save money.  I was told that I purchased a package where I could travel anytime I wanted for free but use my week through Silverleaf or RCI every even year.  Silverleaf promised a chance to win two different cars or $49K, but to do so you had to scratch off a lottery ticket.  This ticket had 25 boxes and you had to find the five 'crowns' in order to win.  Finding those five crowns without making a mistake is absolutely impossible.  Needless to say I didn't win any of the cars or the money.  I was then told I had won a free trip to Vegas and to Aruba; but in order to go on these trips I have to pay a small "fee"...how is the trip free if I have to pay a fee?

On 8/30/2013, I attended a new member orientation and that's when I realized I was scammed.  The person conducting the orientation explained to me that the package I purchased actually only allowed me to travel every other year.  That means I'm paying $150+ a month and can only use my free time and my week every even year.  If I travel yearly, and I made that fact very clear to the sales representative and manager, then why would I purchase a package I could only use every other year?  I asked them to cancel my contract right there but was told that under Illinois law I only had five days to cancel a contract so of course they refused.

That same day I sent two letter to Silverleaf terminating any withdrawals from my account as my first paymet was due 9/15/2013.  I sent a third letter on 9/13/2013.  Silverleaf received the first of my letters on 9/3/2013 and according to the original payment authorization agreement, they are supposed to terminate payment authorizations 10 days after receipt of written notificaiton.  Although they received my written notification on 9/3/2013 they still took $158.42 out of my account on 9/17/2013--a full 14 days after receiving my letter.  They violated their own agreement.  Now I've had to deal with my bank to stop payment and send a demand letter to Silverleaf to return my money.

I've since filed a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General-Consumer Fraud Unit in hopes they will stop Silverleaf and their manipulative practices, cancel my contract and return to me the almost $1K I am owed from Silverleaf.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/21/2013 11:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Silverleaf-Resorts-Inc/Dallas-Texas-75247/Silverleaf-Resorts-Inc-Silverleaf-Scam-Dallas-Texas-1086301. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Silverleaf Resorts, Inc