Complaint Review: smithbrothers.com

• Updated: Wed, May 08, 2013

• Reported By: Brian M — Manor Texas
smithbrothers.com
7833 I-35 Denton 76207, Texas USA

smithbrothers.com This company excessively over charged my teenage daughter for shipping without disclosing how much the charges would be. 76207 Texas

*Author of original report: Problem Resolved

My daughter went online to purchase a pair of boots from this company.  As part of the ordering process she chose a shipping method that would have delivered a pair of $99.99 boots to her with shipping charges of $13.95. As is usually the case with an online order the company presented her with a final screen showing the total of her order. $99.99 for the boots and $13.95 for shipping for a total of $113.94.

It was her understanding that the boots would arrive overnight via "Express" shipping. Not only did the boots NOT arrive overnight, when they did the shipping charged was an astounding $66.95! Including sales tax of $8.24 the grand total of this order was $175.18 for a $99.99 pair of boots.

On the onscreen "Thank You for Your Order" screen the following language appeared:

"Please print this page for your records. An email confirming your order will be sent to you shortly." This same screen showed that the total of her order would be $113.94.

I'm glad my daughter did print this page because the information on it says nothing about the hidden $66.95 in shipping charges that Smith Brothers somehow slipped in to the check out process. By the way Smith Brothers is in Denton, Texas which is only about 250 miles away from Manor, Texas where the boots were delivered.

Our call to Smith Brothers customer service ended in a shouting match with the customer service rep. wherein I indicated that I would pursue this matter with any and all regulatory bodies that might be able to put a stop to what I considered to be deceptive business practices and the customer service rep indicated to me that the company had lawyers who would be happy to respond.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/08/2013 05:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/smithbrotherscom/76207-Texas-78653/smithbrotherscom-This-company-excessively-over-charged-my-teenage-daughter-for-shipping-w-1049454. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on smithbrothers.com

Problem Resolved

AUTHOR: Brian M - ()

Within 24 hours of the time I filed this report, I got a call from the Smith Brothers Customer Service Manager who sincerely apologized for the actions of the person who refused to credit my daughter's account for the excessive - undiscolsed at time of check out - shipping charges.

This person, unlike the one I encountered on the phone previously - was a true professional.  She thanked me for pointing out the problem to her and indicated that she had instructed her web team to fix it.

Her prompt action specific to my complaint couldn't have more sincere.

Good job Smith Brothers!