Complaint Review: Sonic Drive In

• Submitted: Sat, October 06, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, December 22, 2010

• Reported By:Columbia South Carolina
Sonic Drive In
315 ASSEMBLY STREET Columbia, South Carolina U.S.A.

Sonic Drive In Sonic food made me sick. Manager ignored contact and clearly unwilling to addres problem. Columbia South Carolina

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Sonic food poisoning

*UPDATE Employee: Possible but not likely, management is the real problem

*Consumer Comment: I agree with Jodi

*Consumer Comment: LOL Jodi

*Consumer Comment: Tallulah Phoebe is wrong

*Consumer Comment: Food poisoning

After consuming a sonic cheese burger toaster from Sonic last week, I fell extremely ill during my exam. I had to leave early without finishing the test. Needless to say, I scored terrible. Sonic's food was clearly the culprit - since it was the only thing I had eaten all afternoon.

I went back to sonic and politely told them my complaint. The clerk was totally unapologetic but upon my insistence, instructed me to return the next day to collect the refund I was owed.

I returned the day as promised, only to be given the runaround: I was told that only the manager can issue refunds and that if I really wanted my money back, I'd have to wait for 30 minutes for him to show up.

I knew right then that I'd not be getting my refund, but I decided to humor them anyway and wait. Sure enough, 30 minutes went by and there was still no sign of the manager.

Not wanting to wait around any longer, I wrote down my contact information for the clerk I had been speaking to, who assured me that he'll see to it that manager receives this information and compensate me for my inconvenience.

Well now it's been over a week and I've not received a single phone call let alone an apology. These people are crooks! Eat else where if you can!!

Beetz12
Columbia, South Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/06/2007 09:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sonic-Drive-In/Columbia-South-Carolina-29201/Sonic-Drive-In-Sonic-food-made-me-sick-Manager-ignored-contact-and-clearly-unwilling-to-a-277515. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sonic Drive In

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Sonic food poisoning

AUTHOR: Melissa - (United States of America)

This happened to me yesterday. About an hour an 1/2 to 2 hours after eating a 1/2 of a junior cheeseburger atSonicI suddenly started getting stomach cramps and feeling sick. I had eaten only 1/2 of it because it didn't taste as if it was cooked all the way and had thrown the rest of it out. I was sick with chills and felt really, reallyweak for about 6 hours and just really tired once it all finally subsided. I saw some of the other comments about your post and I know this was some time back but, I agree...you can get food poisoning within an hour or two after consuming something bad. I did a lot of research on it and Sonic has had a lot of reports of undercooked meat and food poisoning...the link belowshows you can get it as quickly as within 2 hours and if your body is run down like mine with no sleep as I have an infant then you can probably get it even sooner...

I did call the manager on Waterloo in Edmond, Oklahoma where I ate the burger and they said they would immediately look into it and that no other complaints were called in. However, I plan to check with the health department to confirm as that ruined my whole day yesterday and actually still feel just a little tired but, am much better.

Possible but not likely, management is the real problem

AUTHOR: Amy - (U.S.A.)

Just a quick response, I work at sonic and I believe that it COULD have been but unless you went to the doctor to have that confirmed it is unfair to immediatly blame your last meal when it could have also been from the day before or even before that. Anyway, my main concern is that this wasn't made a priority by the manager to resolve the issue. That is what they get paid to do and we are to treat every customer as welcoming as we can. I really do hope that you give sonic another chance and odds are you have and haven't had the same experience. Next time I would suggest though that you demand contact information or the Store Supervisor, not the general manager. They have to give you that information. A supervisor would be more likely to handle the problem correctly and with urgency than a manager who is too afraid to confront the issue. I really hope that your next experience is better and that more people aren't discouraged by your post. Every business has it's bad employees etc. Don't make it sound like ALL sonic stores will operate the same way that this obviously sub par store has treated you. Thanks!

I agree with Jodi

AUTHOR: Betty - (U.S.A.)

I can tell right after eating something bad that I am going to be sick. My daughter is the same way, she can tell too. I start feeling knots in my stomach like little balls. I know what this sounds crazy but is true.

LOL Jodi

AUTHOR: Tallulah-phoebe - (U.S.A.)

Jodi, may I suggest you take a minute to read the information that you provided? "The symptoms can develop rapidly" does not mean from the onset of eating contaminated food, but rather that one can go from feeling totally fine to experiencing nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea quickly. Interesting how you left out the part about the prodromal period of 24-48 hours.

You know things "for a fact" because they happened to your grandfather? Oh puhlease! How does one old man's personal experiences constitute a "fact"?

Tallulah Phoebe is wrong

AUTHOR: Jodi - (U.S.A.)

I know for a FACT that food poisoning can set in within an hour. It happened to my grandfather. Anyway, I copied this directly off Emedicine. It's the first choice if you google food poisoning:

Food Poisoning Symptoms

Symptoms of food poisoning depend on the type of contaminant and the amount eaten. The symptoms can develop rapidly, within 30 minutes, or slowly, worsening over days to weeks. Most of the common contaminants cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramping. Usually food poisoning is not serious, and the illness runs its course in 2448 hours.

The OP in this story could be legit. A lot of people here on ROR are too quick to judge. Even when they don't know the facts!

Food poisoning

AUTHOR: Tallulah-phoebe - (U.S.A.)

It takes 24 to 48 hours to experience any signs of food poisoning after consuming contaminated food. Hence, the burger you ate "a few hours ago" is not responsible for sudden symptoms as you describe. Sonic is clearly not to blame in your situation.