Complaint Review: SpectorSoft

• Submitted: Wed, April 09, 2014
  • Updated: Tue, April 15, 2014

• Reported By: Beware_Of_Spector — DontBuyMe Alabama
1555 Indian River Blvd Vero Beach, Florida USA

SpectorSoft, Spector Keylogger, Spector Pro, eBlaster, Spector C&E, SpectorSoft Corporation Company Disables Software And Refuses Support Vero Beach Florida

*Author of original report: Apology & Retraction

*UPDATE Employee: Inaccurate and uninformed

I have a PURCHASED version of Spector Pro keylogger.  I've been using this keylogger without issue on my home computer for a little over a year now.  I haven't used this particular machine since Febuary.  Today I logged in and tried to open Spector using the specified Hot Key commands.  But, the program won't open.

I reboot the machine, but to no avail, the software won't run.  I open the list of written files and double click the executables from the folder -- but nothing runs.  I double-click my initial install file -- but the program tells me that a newer version of the software is installed and I must uninstall the old version before proceeding.  But, since I can't open the program, I can't uninstall it either -- since there is no uninstall option.

I visited the company website seeking assistance.  There is an item under the FAQ's for 'Hotkeys no longer work'.  The FAQ says to reboot the machine.  Obviously, that does not work.

Finally, I call SpectorSoft.  The guy on the phone says my Technical Support Subscription expired in mid-Febuary.  I tell him I don't need technical support.  I tell him my program was working fine and now it's not.  He says he can't help me unless I pay for technical support.

I asked him how it is possible for me to not come to the conclusion that Spector freely took my $100 a year ago and provided a software, but after that year was up, they disabled the software from even launching, and subsequently want me to give them more money to activate it?  He did not respond.

Spector is not SaaS.  There is nothing on the site that says after my year is up the product will not load.... but that is the case.  The company refuses to provide assistance.  There is now no way for me to uninstall the product unless I resort to the extortion tactics used by this company.

If you need a keylogger, don't use Spector.  SpectorSoft is a rip-offSpector is a scam. The software may work for a while, but evetually they will deactivate the license and leave you with non-functioning software -- AND no way to uninstall!!  Or get my previously saved logs!

I called support, asked for a manager -- all that good stuff -- the agent refused to provide a manager...said everyone had gone for the day.  Do these people think we are idiots?  Of course there was a manager there.  The lowly phone support person is not there by themselves.  There IS someone there.

SpectorSoft WILL disable your software after a year and refuse to offer any assistance to customers.  Any response from SpectorSoft to this complaint at this point is nothing but a chance to save face from my public complaints.  Remember, I've called.  They don't care.  Any attempts at this point is nothing but a farse.

Don't support this company.  Don't buy their keylogger.  You'll be ripped off!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/09/2014 03:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SpectorSoft/Vero-Beach-Florida-32960/SpectorSoft-Spector-Keylogger-Spector-Pro-eBlaster-Spector-CampE-SpectorSoft-Corpo-1137614. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SpectorSoft

Apology & Retraction

AUTHOR: Beware_Spector_Keylogger - ()

Thank you for the response, SpectorSoft.  After my frustration calmed, I did realize that you are correct and I missed the renewal notice. Accordingly, I’d like to apologize and retract my statements made in the above post. My issue has been resolved, and I shouldn’t have let my emotions drive the content of my post.

Inaccurate and uninformed

AUTHOR: SpectorSoft - ()

To clarify, as you mention in one of your posts, this product is not SaaS, therefore it should be clear that we can't, nor would we, shut off or disable anyone's software. However, sometimes we see people have issues with their installs when they don't set an exclusion in their antivirus, Windows Defender and even Webroot (which I believe you're familiar with) it may be removed or disabled. So, any changes on the machine by other software that occurred causing the disablement of our software is beyond our control.

As to the availability of a Support manager, I can't speak to that, however, it does appear that you called (from a recognized caller-ID of a business in Denver, CO) just after 6:00 pm ET in which case there probably was not a manager on duty—generally 8-6 pm ET. Otherwise, our well-trained, Florida-based technical support staff is available 24/7 and is quite capable of handling 99% of the support calls received.

As for Ultimate Care, it is required to be up-to-date to receive phone or email tech support, along with receiving the on-going recorder updates—similar to a warranty on most vehicles. Unfortunately, all reminders about renewal, the last one on 3/12/2014, went ignored.

However, if you'd like to reach out directly with your real name and contact info, I can make sure that you receive the correct install of the most current version/update you received while under maintenance. That should allow you to reinstall properly if you have your serial number, know your hot-keys and have proper, legal access to the machine you're trying to use this with.