Complaint Review: SPIRIT AIRLINES

• Updated: Sun, May 30, 2010

• Reported By: Yvonne — East Northport New York United States of America
SPIRIT AIRLINES
Miramar, Florida United States of America

SPIRIT AIRLINES stolen clothes, stolen golf clubs, stolen gifts we bought from Mexico, stolen video camera. Miramar, Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: Anybody Could have Taken the Items

My wife, son, and I recently returned to NY from vacationing in Mexico. We connected in Ft. Lauderdale flying back to New York. Our flight to New York  was on time but our bags, even though we personally checked them back in with Spirit Air after retrieving them at customs in Ft. Lauderdale, did not make the flight. We arrived in New York on sat Feb 13, 2010 but our luggage was not delivered until after midnight Sunday (12:20 am Monday the 15,2010) even though they told us the bags would be on the next flight out of Ft. Lauderdale arriving in New York Saturday evening. When the bags were delivered to our home, we insisted on checking it in front on the delivery person and, in his presence, we discovered that somone had stolen items from all three pieces of our luggage. My wife's clothes were stolen, gifts we bought for our family in Mexico ( including bottles of really good tequila) were stolen, a video camera was stolen, and two of my golf clubs were stolen (taylor made Driver and 3 Wood). Repeated calls to the baggage area and multiple messages were left but no calls back. I finally kept calling with my phone on repeat dial until someone answered. They immediately told me they are not responsible for any electronics, the bottles of tequila, and possibly not even the golf clubs. They did say they are only responsible for clothes and shoes (Any item with a value over $50.00 requires a receipt so I guess we will be going thru all out old receipts to find the ones for my wife's clothes)

When speaking to them they acted like theft is a normal occurence ( I understand theft is a reality) but they just seem to not have a plan of action, just willing to quickly say whats not covered and ready to create roadblocks. Needless to say, the experience was horrible. I have had bags not make a flight in the past but nothing was stolen and it was delivered within a reasonable time. From reading the reports, it looks like others are having the same problem with Spirit Air, especially in Ft. Lauderdale.....stay tuned for updates as i continue to haggle with them....

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/15/2010 02:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SPIRIT-AIRLINES/Miramar-Florida-/SPIRIT-AIRLINES-stolen-clothes-stolen-golf-clubs-stolen-gifts-we-bought-from-Mexico-st-569813. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SPIRIT AIRLINES

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Anybody Could have Taken the Items

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

You blame Spirit but how about the baggage handlers at FLL, TSA etc??? Lots of people have access to your bags. The only way to safeguard items of value is to take them with you in a carry on. The airlines have advised this for years and still people who appear to be seasoned travellers still complain about lost cameras and jewelry.

Next time take your valuables with you. Rent clubs at the golf course.