Complaint Review: Sprint PCS

• Reported By:Kearns Utah
Sprint PCS
Nationwide, Utah U.S.A.

Sprint PCS The worst cell phone company in the world! ripoff Nationwide Utah

*Consumer Comment: Jay, WHY would you revive a thread that is almost 2 years old???

*Consumer Suggestion: be aware of other options

*Author of original report: OK Marcus

*Consumer Comment: Sprint PCS

*Consumer Comment: Just Wait

This company has got to be the biggest joke on earth! I've had their service for a few months now and recently moved to Utah. The day after I got here, I went into one of their stores and had the phone number changed to a Utah number and changed my address at the same time. This was around Sept. 13th.

Yesterday, I got one of their automated messages saying my service would be cut off within 48 hrs if I didn't pay the bill. The funny thing is, I never got a bill.

I called customer service using the *2 on my phone and the recording, before a human answered, said my balance was $138.00 due on the 17th of October. I have a $150.00 spending limit. None of this is past due, all current charges. I did expect my bill to be higher this month due to the move.

When a rep got on the line, I asked her why my service was going to be suspended, I was not over my spending limit and their recording said it was not due until the 17th. She said it was because of the "extra" charges. I said, "What extra charges? And why doesn't their recording just state the total amount due?" She said it was due to text messaging. I have a block on my phone for text messaging which was put on my phone when I got it! She claimed those charges were $10.00! Sprint sure has an odd way of doing math.

I also inquired why I had not received a bill yet. I guess I'm supposed to be psychic and just figure out when it is due and how much. She claimed it was mailed out on Sept. 21st and that I needed to call my post office. Funny thing is, I've gotten all my other mail here, just not their bill!? So, I told that rep that I could pay this on Tuesday when I get my first check from my new job and she said that she would have to transfer me to a different department to make payment arraignments. She put me on hold and then the witch hung up on me!

So, I call back using *2 again and this time the recording said my bill was $142.00. WTF? Not 5 minutes ago it said $138.00. So, they jacked my bill up $4.00 just so I would be over that spending limit. Of course, I know why they do this. It's so they can shut off your phone and then collect that $20.00 re-connect fee. That makes them alot of money! Greedy bastards!

This company is the worst!! Take my advice, DON'T USE SPRINT!!

Me
Kearns, Utah

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/15/2006 06:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sprint-PCS/Nationwide-Utah-84118/Sprint-PCS-The-worst-cell-phone-company-in-the-world-ripoff-Nationwide-Utah-215862. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sprint PCS

Jay, WHY would you revive a thread that is almost 2 years old???

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Jay,

Are you just seeking out and posting to every Sprint thread? You must be because the thread you responded too has been dormant for almost 2 years!

With that said, I cannot see any rip off here on the part of Sprint.

The OP simply did not understand the billing.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

be aware of other options

AUTHOR: Jay - (U.S.A.)

You've mentioned that you just moved recently. I think the most recent bill was sent out on the old address. Even so, if you weren't getting your bill when it was suppose to come in already would've prompt you to see how much it should be and when it's gonna be due as I'm sure you're already aware as you clearly stated that you subscribe to Sprint several months ago. Did you at least try logging to your account online to see your bill. It would only take 10 minutes of your time. Same amount of time that would probably take you to open an envelope and read what is written on it. What about contacting the automated thing and see you spending limit balance?

There are several things that affects your current charges even if its not yet due. If you go over your minutes, you incur unbilled overage, same thing if yu go over your sms plan. Or if you download application (ringers, games etc.), international calls, sms dir assistance...all these generates running charges and gets added on the amount that has already been billed and if it reach 80% of your spending limit, you get a message (courtesy reminder). Thus, prompting you to call customer care so they can help you avoid interruption by how?...setting up an arrangement.

Sprint takes full responsibility in correcting wrong charges. They give out courtesy credits for the inconvenience. They even let most customers to use the service for 90 days even with no payment because they understand how important the service to their cusomers.

For customer that has spending limit to their account, just dont take it against the company, it's a protection that they are giving you for you guys not to overspend. It's their commitment to provide phone service and they continously work on that. You on the other hands responsibility is to pay them on or before the due date. They're giving you 23 days after the bil cycle ends to pay it. And even if it's more than 23 days you still get your service running though you get late fee (which to me is valid anyway)

OK Marcus

AUTHOR: Me - (U.S.A.)

You are obviously an employee of Sprint. Did you even read my report? HOW CAN I PAY A BILL IF I DON'T GET THE BILL?

Before I moved I actually had a credit on my account. Like I said, this bill was for ONE month!

When I spoke to a service rep, they said that my bills are mailed out on the 21st and they did have my new address on their computer!

Yes, your service SUCKS! But, that's OK because I have changed to another provider. Who offers more minutes for the same price as your lousy service. And with NO DEPOSIT or activation fees! At least I no longer loose a signal in the Salt Lake Valley!

Oh, and yes the bill was paid along with all fees for the early termination!

I never had a problem with how much the bill was, I knew it would be higher than normal due to the move. I do have a problem with a company that expects you to be psychic.

Funny thing is, I've spoken to other people who have had Sprint PCS and they have had the same problem. They also never got a bill and had their phone shut off, so don't try to tell me it's not so they can charge that $20.00 fee! Not to mention the lies your company tells people.

I had another friend that lived in an extremely rural area and your company swore up and down that he would have service out there. Yeah, he had service, if he stood on a certain rock in his yard! And if it was cloudy or raining he had no service!

Of course, I see Sprint has gotten in trouble with the FCC for that very thing, that is why you now have to offer that 14 day free trial period!

Sprint is the worst cell phone provider on earth and I would not recommend them to my worst enemy!

Sprint PCS

AUTHOR: Marcus - (U.S.A.)

Whenever a customer signs up with Sprint there is a credit evaluation performed and the customer is assiged a credit class which identifies if any deposits or spending limits will be placed on the account. This is all made aware at the time of activation. Sprint bills it's monthly service one month in advance which is explained as well.

Whenever you had a bill that was $138.00 and due by the 17th was correct however in according to the agreement of service with the spendling limit that you are made clear of if you exceed the spending limit with current usage charges the phone will be suspended. There is a notificaion when you are nearing the spending limit.

The spending limit is designed to help customer's pay the monthly bills without them being outrageous. If a customer starts going over the anytime mins and has $800.00 worth of overage when the bill comes out then they will call Sprint and ask why no one told them. This is why it does help the customer.

Also, if you didn't want your phone to get turned off all you had to do was make a payment to keep yourself under the spending limit. If you would have made a 5.00 payment that would have kept your service on. The account is never charged a reconnect fee of $20.00 unless the account goes into non pay disconnect. Non pay disconnect is when the account goes without payment for 90 days, after that point there is a reconnect fee. However if you exceed your spending limit 20 times a month as long as you pay the bill, there will never be a reconnect fee.

If you hate the service so bad the best thing to do is cancel and pay the termination charge, it is only $150.00 to $200.00 depending on when you signed the agreement, and that would be cheaper that contantly hating a company that you are supporting by being a customer. I have heard that Sprint may do away with spending limits, however personally I think this may have a negative affect because when people start to get high bills, they will wonder why Sprint did not notify them.

Just Wait

AUTHOR: Debra - (U.S.A.)

You think they are bad now, just wait till you cancel their service. I cancelled with them in May after more than 3 yrs and they claim I did not. I paid my bill off in full too and even wrote it on the check. They continued to bill me through August even though as they could see there were no calls made. And they could care less.

They want me to pay this and I guess I will have to in order to avoid it being put on my credit report. I even had a lawyer write them a letter and that did not do any good either! I heard they are changing their name to Embark because their reputation is so bad. I don't know for sure if they are going to do away with the Sprint name but Embark is related to them from what I understand.

So, if you cancel with them, put it in writing and send it certified mail, return receipt requested because if you don't, you'll get ripped off also.