Complaint Review: Staged to Sell Design Services

6615 N Scottsdale Road, Suite 160 Scottsdale, Arizona USA
  • Phone: 602-652-2220
  • Web:
  • Category: Realtors

Staged to Sell Design Services Complete rip off, contract is completely flawed! Scottsdale Arizona

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: The facts stand for themselves.

*Author of original report: Your Information is way off...

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Response to complaint

I am so taken back by the fact that this company would A) do the work with out receiving a signature from me, the property owner and B) except my relotors signature on my behalf where the X that says "property owner" is supposed to sign is signed by the agent instead.

If I was given the chance to read the contract I would have never signed as it is written all in favor of the Stager and releases them from all/any liability and puts it on me. In addition, the contract has no cancellation clause.

The contract was for a period of 2 months. After 2 weeks the home sold to my agent and the stager removed their belongings. I assumed that I would be given some sort of refund as Staged to Sell would be able to use their goods for other homes. They recieved plenty of notice and I feel that the Owner of the company could have atleast reimbursed part of the second month.

I am furious and hope that any realots/sellers find another company to go with!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/11/2013 07:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Staged-to-Sell-Design-Services/Scottsdale-Arizona-85250/Staged-to-Sell-Design-Services-Complete-rip-off-contract-is-completely-flawed-Scottsdal-1083554. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Staged to Sell Design Services

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

The facts stand for themselves.

AUTHOR: Robin Leigh - ()

Yes the property was listed for $149K as the seller admits.  I have a complete copy of the listing report and the listing history of this property as recorded by the Arizona Multiple Listing System.  The sequence of the listing and pricing is not open for dispute as every entry and change is listed in the MLS on the date it is entered.

The Mitchell property was originally listed February 8, 2013 for $149,000 and was taken of the market about a week later.  On April 5 2013 the price was increased to $179,00.  Then the price was lowered again.  Then the price was raised to $184,900 (not $189,900-my error) after staging on 8/07/13. The listing status again changed on 8/07/13 but then showed it it was under contract on 8/1/13 and closed 8/06/13 which isn't at all what the listing agent represented to us.  In fact our staging occurred after this date and shows another owener on tilte who is not the person filing this complaint.

The MLS and tax assessor roles show multiple changes, prices and options (for sale, for rent) on this property over the period of time from Feb 2 of 2013 to 8/7/2013.  It was for sale, for rent, on the market, off the market and the pricing was all over the place.

The listing agent did not ever say a single word about anyone else involved in payment for our services, in fact the exact opposite....and she paid us with her own credit card.

And as I said we have NEVER represented that the staging would or could increase a property's value by 27%...to expect that is absurd.  We didn't make that representation and can not understand why a seller or agent would think it would.

As for the comment that 'this would never have happened' I can only say that we too wish we hadn't had this experience; we certainly don't want to work with clients who are arbitrary, inconsistent and not fully committed to the services we provide.

Your Information is way off...

AUTHOR: sbm - ()

First, I would like to correct that my house was not listed at 149,000.00. The house was listed in May for 149k, we received an offer within 3 weeks and were in escrow for 60 days before the buyer's lender could not fund.

After we fell out of escrow there were enough comps on the market to value my property at 189,000.00. We kept it off the market for 2 weeks before we relisted. The house was on the market at 189k for 1 month before I reduced the price to 185k. The 4 month period you state it was on the market includes the prior 3 months I had it on the market.

In addition, I did pay for the service. My agent received a reimbursement check from me direct for the 2000.00.

Your service did not increase the value of my home by 27% and as far as I am concerned I will happily guide my friends/family/collegues who decide to stage their home to go with a diffrent company. My agent also informed me will never do buisness with you.

I am glad to hear you are practicing better buisness practices and requiring a sellers signature. I wish that was in place from the start and this would have never happened.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Response to complaint

AUTHOR: Robin Leigh - ()

In response to the complaint filed September 11 regarding our staging services.

The property in question was vacant and had been on the market for 4 months at $149,900.  The Realtor (who I had worked with before) contacted me and asked me to give her a staging proposal.  I visited the property,made a condition assessment and submitted a proposal which was accepted.  By the way, our proposals include much more than furniture rental, it includes a list of tasks and improvements we believe must be made to put the property in top condition.

The agent ordered and paid for the staging services however the seller was FULLY aware of our proposal and actively worked on the list of repairs and improvements we provided as to what needed to be done prior to our staging.  This included painting, property clean up, removal of distracting items and debris etc.  It is disingenuous that she now claims she was somehow blindsided by our agreement.

Nevertheless, we have recently added an addendum to our contract requiring the property owner sign and agree to the staging, even if their agents are ordering and paying for the services.

We staged the property and it dramatically improved both the appearance and the number of showings on the property.  In additon to our other services, we provide the option of professional photos of the property (which we paid for ourselves in this instance) even though the agent was aware this would be at her expense.

The agent verified there had been a marked increase in the showing activity on the home.

As stagers, when we complete our portion of the work, our work is done.  If the property sold in 72 hours after our staging and closed less than 2 weeks later (as one of our recent stages just did) we wouldn't refund any of our contract price either. Our services are intended to cause those positive things to happen! No staging business can operate based on the changeable whims of a customer. We have movers, stagers, furnishings, consulting hours, insurance, delivery fees, photos and other expenses involved in each job; the amount of time the furnishings are in the property is only one aspect of our bids and costs.

On this particular property the listing agent increased the price of the property $40,000 after we staged the house to $189,900 which was a 27% increase in the list price!  Keep in mind that aside from our staging, the only improvements the  seller made for our staging was to quickly paint part of the interior and remove debris and take down shelves and remove multiple items she had left behind.  These are not major capital improvements which might ordinarily justify such a dramatic price increase.

We have no control over what the seller and the agent do with the property in the way of marketing or pricing.  They didn't ever ask us if we thought our services could help them increase the value of the house by 27% and if they had we would have told them emphatically 'no'.

The property was on the market a little over 2 weeks, in the slowest, hottest month of the summer-August-and they abruptly told us they had decided after this short time to rent the property instead.  Again, we have no control over what the seller and their agent decide to do after we stage.  I must say though that to increase a property price by $40,000 (27%) in August no less and expect the property to sell in 2 weeks might be considered unrealistic.

The listing agent called me and asked us to remove our items as soon as possible because they had decided to rent the house and the tenant wanted to move in asap.  Instead of requiring the 5 day notice to remove items per our contract, we worked on a Sunday to empty the property and accomodate the client.  I also offered the agent a $300 credit on the next staging she contracted with us to do.

This seller has never contacted me, voiced her concerns or discussed anything pertaining to this transaction. I haven't met her or had any communiction with her whatsoever.  We found out about her complaint when we did a search of our business online yesterday.  Additionally she isn't even the person who paid for the staging so this is not a well founded complaint in our opinion.

We are clear that we do not offer refunds once our work is complete. When we enter into an accepted agreement and then do our work as agreed our contract is fulfilled.

Our company has an excellent reputation, we work hard to make our clients happy, our staging services cause homes to sell quickly and for top dollar, and we have many testimonials from satisfied clients: agents, investors and sellers alike.