Complaint Review: Standard Insurance

• Updated: Tue, October 08, 2013

• Reported By: Jrock — Somewhere
Standard Insurance
1100 S W Sixth Ave., Portland, OR 97204 Portland, Oregon USA

Standard Insurance The Standard Insurance Company LTD - Bad Faith Claims Denial Portland Oregon

*Author of original report: Answers to your Questions

*Consumer Comment: What reason did they give for denying your claim?

Do not buy insurance from this company.  If you are considering it choose another insurer, especially if you are purchasing LTD policies from your employer or privately as a supplement.  The reason I say this is because I have been a victim of their well documented bad faith claims handling and denying process.

I was doing very well, married with children.  Then I became disabled after several years of fighting some disabling conditions.  My conditions are backed by years of doctors visits, statements from doctors and a multitude of tests.  Unfortunately, regardless of what my tests confirm and what doctors have stated they still denied my claim.

Go to another company and preferable one from a list of proper claims handling and paying history.

If you are considering filing a claim sell everything you have now so you will have the cash to survive, trust me you will need it.  Unfortunately the insurance you pruchased to help you will not protect you as their adversements say.  Also, hire a national attorney that can win.

Do not use this company, trust me you will be happy you chose someone else in the long run.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/08/2013 10:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Standard-Insurance/Portland-Oregon-97204/Standard-Insurance-The-Standard-Insurance-Company-LTD-Bad-Faith-Claims-Denial-Portland-1090368. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Standard Insurance

Answers to your Questions

AUTHOR: Jrock - ()

What reason did they give for denying your claim?

Their reasoning was that they simply disagree with my doctors.

You did ask, right?

Of course.  They are required to disclose their reasoning, or better yet, how they crafted a claim file to delay and deny my claim to their benefit.  It is supposed to be the other way around.

"The reason I say this is because I have been a victim of their well-documented bad faith claims handling and denying process."  Where is this "well documented" information?

The info is encrypted in Edward Snowden's secret vault along with the JFK tapes, Jimmy Hoffa's pinky ring and the Wikileaks insurance policy!  No, I have it.

Well.  If you file a claim there is a “Claim file” that the insurance company must provide upon denial.  Although, after what I have been through I'm not 100% sure its legit.  I have several hundred pages of this, although I know there are missing internal communications because they were blatantly left out.  I have copies of multiple doctor’s records in their entirety.  I have copies of internal communications with their employees and my employer communicating.  I have all communications to and from the insurer and intimate recorded information from my doctor who spoke with their team who calls on the doctors to get medical statements.  In fact, the person noted verbally, that I was “really messed up and obviously disabled” to my doctor.  They told my doctor I was under surveillance but then denied it in my claim file?  Was this because the surveillance proved I was disabled in some way, shape or form?  They use a third party so who’s to say it even existed.  And if it didn't why would they tell my doctor this?  Just for fun or to harass the doctor into saying something that would hedge their license if I was caught doing jumping jacks in the front lawn?

In my extensive records it clearly shows the following:

First and foremost their opinion is without merit because as my doctor noted, their doctor’s opinion goes against what any doctor in the field would recommend with regard to stopping work, more specifically the continued damage continuing to work would cause.  As more damage could eventually put me out of commission for good.  Failure to properly investigate my claim which enabled them to delay benefit payments and eventually make a denial by not including or trying to not include several missing pieces to my medical records with my doctor, documented by a major difference in the insurance file vs. what my doctors provided with regard information and tests.  In fact, they cherry picked various pieces of information to make their case, while leaving out specific diagnosis and notes.

They use misinformation in their report of which I can refute with copies of internal communications by all parties involved clearly showing their incorrect assumptions, which were never facts in their notes, especially when compared to well documented email communications.  They ignored my doctor’s opinion by misclassifying most of my health records in the claim file.  The insurer classified my job as sedentary of which it is but not to the point of front desk work.  I was a highly skilled professional in my field evidenced by my C-level title and success at my job.

They never replied promptly to communications from me or my attorney, in fact when asked to use another means they simply mailed everything to slow the claim down I assume to meet a bonus as this was done at quarter's end.  The insurer required my doctor to supply the same information on two different occasions as a preliminary task and a formal task.  The insurer asked for a mountain of information that was readily available by simply calling my employer’s HR department, which in fact was already available to them internally as it was required information for a bid on the plan in the first place or to know their liability at any given point for the entire plan and its status at a corporate level.   In addition to the release of docs you sign when you file a claim.  They shifted blame for not receiving medical records onto myself and attorney when from the doctors records there is clear communication records that the said records were sent and received by the insurer further delaying my claim.  It goes on and on, but I think you get the picture.

IF they are, indeed, violating the terms of your policy with them, report them to your state's insurance commissioner.

I am in the process.  We have gathered a file documenting all the areas of concern with regard to these “bad faith” tactics.  Unfortunately someone else has to help me by typing all this from my handwritten notes and verbal communication.  It took all day to write the first portion of my complaint.

However, if they are following the policy terms in their decision(s) there's not much you can do about it.

Simply following the policy’s terms is what you would expect.  Unfortunately I expected this as well from the get go.  I didn’t just randomly stop working.  My doctor told me to stop working after several meetings regarding my health.  Good-faith insurers look for ways to accept and pay claims promptly.  Bad faith insurers look for and find ways to not pay and delay claims.

There is something you can do about it.  You can present you case to an administrative judge in federal court.  If the judge sees this aggregious behavior he can award attorney’s fees allowing the claimant to have paid his attorney not from his pocket but from the pocket of the insurers who forced him to hire the attorney in the first place by using bad faith tactics to initially deny the claim.

You can go online like my friend has to place all the info for the world to see so that others vote with their dollars having seen so many other people say the same thing.

You can write letters to every congressman and senator like my family is willing to do for me in fighting this behavior.

You can point out that they use settlement “gag” techniques striking down specific case information so that no one can see what they have been up to, what they settle the worst cases for and all kinds of other things that come out in filings.

You can point out that they are  getting fat bonuses and the C-level fat cats at companies like the Standard are using social security dollars meant for the truly disabled and retirees of this country to offset their liability via the way their policies are written (Your benefit is offset by social security a boon for insurance companies) while congress accepts the insurance lobby dollars to keep the scam afloat all while laughing to the bank.

I think you get the picture now, but maybe you’re in it.  Who knows.  Thanks for allowing me to continue the education.

What reason did they give for denying your claim?

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

You did ask, right?

"The reason I say this is because I have been a victim of their well documented bad faith claims handling and denying process. "

Where is this "well documented" information?