Complaint Review: Staples Inc

• Updated: Tue, October 08, 2013

• Reported By: John — Washington
Staples Inc
2850 Northwest Bucklin Hill Rd Silverdale, Washington USA

Staples Inc / Federal Warranty Refused to Refund $250 "Refundable" warranty Silverdale Washington

*Consumer Comment: What does your written warranty agreement say about this?

This story concerns my troublesome experience with Staples Inc. They refused to pay back my $250 "refundable" three-year warranty I purchased with a $500 HP laptop on August 29th 2010 at their location in Silverdale, WA. I did not use my warranty, in spite of having a large crack in my screen that keeps getting larger for over a year and overheating issues with my laptop for over a year and a half. The reason I did not claim the warranty was that I figured that I would be better off putting the $250 towards a new laptop once the three years were up.

Federal Warranty serviced Staples in this issue, and is the company I communicated with over the phone for this warranty. The company has said that my warranty "expired" on 9/29/2013. This is due to some 30-day expiration date after the warranty expires -- in other words, I have to file the claim within 30 days of the warranty expiring on the refund I receive on something I bought and never used.

In other words, my claim drops from $250 to $0 in just one day. I would have never purchased the warranty if I knew of such an unreasonable 30-day window that I would have in three years to claim my $250.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/08/2013 06:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Staples-Inc/Silverdale-Washington-98383/Staples-Inc-Federal-Warranty-Refused-to-Refund-250-Refundable-warranty-Silverdale-W-1090515. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Staples Inc

What does your written warranty agreement say about this?

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

I'll bet it's spelled out in the agreement...right?  Oh wait, you threw that away, also rightt?

If so, how is this a Ripoff by them?