Complaint Review: Staples

• Updated: Fri, August 02, 2013

• Reported By: unsatisfied customer — canton Missouri
Staples
Quincy, Illinois USA

Staples is a ripoff with ink cartridge recycling rewards Quincy Illinois

*Author of original report: Yes, I am positive

*Consumer Comment: Are you sure?

On 7/31/13 I dropped of 12 ink cartridges for recycling and checked my account online to see if my rewards had been posted.  The were to pay $2 for the first ten cartridges and .20 for any subsequent cartridges.  They hadn't account showed zero.  I sent a message to Staples on Facebook, to no avail.  I was told program has changed and I will not be honored with rewards payment.  Needless to say, I was not aware program had changed since last usage of Jan 2013.

Neither was I notified by the sales clerk that took my ink cartridges, nor did I see any signage in the store reflecting this change.  I asked for the return of my cartridges since they would not honor the rewards payment and was told, sorry for your inconvenience.  I was ripped off by Staples for $20.20.  I know this seems like nothing to most, but think about how many people they are doing this to?  I had no intentions of "donating" the ink cartridges to them.  They would not even offer me a reasonable solution.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/02/2013 08:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Staples/Quincy-Illinois-62301/Staples-is-a-ripoff-with-ink-cartridge-recycling-rewards-Quincy-Illinois-1072406. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Staples

Yes, I am positive

AUTHOR: unsatisfied customer - ()

Yes, I am sure they give $2 for ten cartridges, but that was not my issue.  To my understanding from Staples customer service, apparently, since March their program requirements have changed.  Now, you have to purchase $30 of ink/toner from Staples before they will honor the rewards redemption.  However, since I had not visited the store/website since January & have updated my email,  I was not informed of this change.  In additon, it would not make any sense for me to waste my time recycling them for 20 cents a piece.  They cost too much to let go for 20 cents, I'd rather donate them to the school, instead of just giving them to a big corporation like staples.  I had asked for them to return the cartridges, but they told me, "sorry for your inconvenience" & I was not given a reasonable solution on my end.  I am the customer & in this case am totally unsatisfied.

Are you sure?

AUTHOR: MochaG - ()

Are you sure that it is $2 each for the first 10? I believe it is $2 total for the first 10. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense that they would take $0.2 for subsequence cartridge after ten. If it is, the system is easily abusable and that does not make sense for a corporation reward system. For example, I would take 10 to them, and give anything over 10 to my relative to go back and get another... So I don't think it is $20+ for your total loss...