Complaint Review: Star Search Casting (dot com)

• Submitted: Tue, December 28, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, December 28, 2010

• Reported By: oprlvr — Grand Rapids Michigan United States of America
Star Search Casting (dot com)
Los Angeles, California United States of America

Star Search Casting (dot com) Total SCAM site....avoid them like the plague. Caveat Emptor! Los Angeles, California

I first familiarized with this Site about seven years ago...an online casting site? (Wow! And I didn't need an actual agent!) Lord, how naive I was.

Sure, I sucked in to their "membership". Only $11.95/mo. I could handle that! Uploaded a couple head shots, and my Resume. Was informed I would start receiving "detailed casting calls". Sure you can glance through the "free" site Castings, but there were Limited - and you could not "apply".

Right away I started receiving "casting" emails. Each time I opened one, I was merely rerouted to the actual web site "link". Which then rerouted me 2-3x times to the actual "link", instead of simply opening up to a page of legit audition info! And I could have done that by myself. The "link" turned out to be a very generic "casting" posting which including an area to "upload" your head shot - in very limited jpeg space (no larger than 80 kb!) That is a VERY TINY thumb shot! Just how does any legit casting director select you from that???

After about three weeks worth of email "receipts" (casting posts), I finally wised up. No, seriously...I am no industry "amateur". I just finally had enough of the 'experience' and posted a few complaints to their "customer service" board. Naturally, they were cool about it. Could not refund my $$ as it was a monthly paid membership...their excuse. Thank goodness I had subscribed only three months. I was out only $38.

The big red flag should have been the junk, amateurish "head shots" posted on their main page; 80% of which are unprofessional. And much like a prior member posting stated -ghettoish looking- And to top that off - they actually allow other Talent to "rate" each other! As if anyone, other than a licensed Agent, is qualified to rate someone else on a Casting site. What-ev.

So grateful I caught on to this scam ages ago. Scary thing is...They are still an active site (I just checked, about two months ago.)

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/28/2010 05:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Star-Search-Casting-dot-com/Los-Angeles-California-/Star-Search-Casting-dot-com-Total-SCAM-siteavoid-them-like-the-plague-Caveat-Empto-676136. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Star Search Casting (dot com)