telling

• Updated: Thu, October 24, 2013

• Reported By: Nick — Kenner Louisiana
Starbridge
900 Cottage Grove Road Bloomfield, Connecticut USA

Starbridge CIGNA, MedImpact ripoff, deceptive trade practices Bloomfield Connecticut

I signed up with Starbridge when I started my new job.  My employer offers Starbridge until you're at the company for six months.  Then, you're eligible for the full CIGNA insurance.  I'm an insulin dependant diabetic.  I signed up for the mid level plan which offers up to $300 in prescription coverage.

Before signing up I called Starbridge to find out how the coverage works.  I was told that the $300 limit goes by how much I pay.  Any prescriptions that cost less than the $30 copay would not count against the $300 limit.  Any prescriptions costing over $30 I would have to pay the $30 copay and that copay would count towards my $300 limit.

Today I went to refill my Lantus at the local Wal-Mart.  I was told the total was $182.00.  I informed the lady that I have insurance and that it should only be $30.  She checked again and confirmed that the amount was correct, $182.  That's $182.00 for one vial of insulin that lasts about a month.  I'm on two different insulin medications (one fact-acting and one long-acting).

I called Starbridge.  After being on hold for about 15 minutes I explained the situation.  I was told that I needed to contact MedImpact.  MedImpact was the company that handled the prescription coverage.

I explained the issue to the representative with MedImpact. I was told that I had maxed out my coverage.  I asked how this was possible.  I had only refilled twice, which should have been only $60 against my $300 limit.  I was told that was not how the limit worked.

Lantus, according to MedImpact is $295.  This is a $202 increase from the full price it was back in 2006.  From what I gather, that amount minus what I pay goes towards my $300 limit.  This didn't make sense as that would still be $265 cost for the insurance company.  That is, unless they only pay a certain amount of that.

In any case, the Starbridge coverage is useless.  During the six months until a person is eligible for CIGNA they cannot get any major illness.  If they were to get any major illness, including a bad case of the flu, where the prescriptions would be expensive, then in two visits to the pharmacy their coverage would be used up.

My main issue is that I was either lied to or severely misinformed.   When I called Starbridge to cancel my policy the representative was not apologetic in no way shape or form that their company had misinformed me.  They were not sorry to see me go as a customer.

I will be writing to Starbridge/CIGNA.  They will be notified of this RipOffReport.  I will try to amicably resolve this matter with them.  If I can't then the following actions will be taken:

Complaint filed with the Louisiana Department of Insurance – Office of Health Insurance Small claims lawsuit filed in the City of Kenner small claims court

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/24/2013 11:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Starbridge/Bloomfield-Connecticut-06002/Starbridge-CIGNA-MedImpact-ripoff-deceptive-trade-practices-Bloomfield-Connecticut-1094320. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Starbridge