Complaint Review: State Farm

• Submitted: Fri, March 19, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, November 09, 2004

• Reported By:Ava Illinois
State Farm
One State Farm Plaza, Bloomington Bloomington, Illinois U.S.A.

*Consumer Suggestion: State Farm Resolves Issue

*Consumer Comment: Resolution, Get aggressive

My husband, a retired, 47 year old, twenty-year law enforcement officer, who has never had an accident in his entire life, had two fender-benders in two weeks this year. Yes, that may sound unusual, but here are the circumstances:

Accident one: In a vacant McDonald's parking lot, we sat eating our burgers. My husband has a Chevrolet Silverado, long-bed and had just installed a tool box. When finished our meal and were going to leave. We did not know and could not see, that a small, compact car had parked right behind us to make a cell phone call. My husband backed into him.

Accident two: There was a snow storm and my husband backed out of our drive way, and the truck got stuck in the snow, one house down. A neighbor came out to help. At first Bob refused the help, but the neighbor insisted. The neighbor used his truck to push my husband out of a small ditch. My husband's truck slipped backward and put a orange-sized dent on the neighbor's front fender.

Yesterday, I called our State Farm Agent, Narveet Kang, of Carbondale Illinois, (618) 549-1755, because I was going to see about increasing our coverage. It was at that time that Mr. Kang, informed me that our auto policies would not be renewed because we had two accidents in two weeks, for a total of $1900. He also told us that State Farm would forgive one accident in nine years, but not two.

We did not know that two minor accidents would result in our policies not being renewed. Had we known, we would have paid the neighbor $800.00 to fix his truck. State Farm did not inform us that an additional accident, within nine years, would result in cancellation of our policies. I have been with State Farm Insurance since I began to drive 36 years ago. My husband and I have never filed an accident claim. I WROTE THIS COMPLAINT SO THAT OTHERS WOULD BE FORWARNED AND NOT HAVE THIS HAPPEN TO THEM.

Yvonne
Ava, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/19/2004 12:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/State-Farm/Bloomington-Illinois-61710/State-Farm-Mutual-Automobile-Insurance-Company-Ripoff-Illinois-36-Years-with-State-Farm-Tw-84553. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on State Farm

#1 Consumer Suggestion

State Farm Resolves Issue

AUTHOR: Yvonne - (U.S.A.)

I apologize to State Farm Insurance for not being as prompt with this update to my report, as State Farm Corporate Office was in responding to my letter concerning the issue. State Farm wasted no time in resolving this issue for my husband and I and we thank them.

Shortly after writing to Mr. Edward B. Rust Jr., Chairman at State Farm Coporate Office, I received a phone call from Mr. Glen Wood, Underwriting Supervisor for State Farm Corporate office. Mr. Wood informed me, that due to our length of time with State farm and claim-free history, State Farm would reinstate our automobile policy.

Mr. Wood also informed me that our rates would increase, because of the two accidents in a nine years. Although I was not thrilled with the increase in our insurance rate, I understood what he was saying and I appreciated that Mr. Wood took the time to explain it to me. Mr. Wood was very professional, in handling this issue and even sounded happy that our policy had been reinstated.

We are satisfied with State Farm Corporate Office's response to our issue, but I can not help feel, that this issue could have been handled at a lower level. It was only after, I had called our State Farm insurance agent, Mr. Navereet Kang, to inquire about an upgrade in our insurance, that I was informed that State Farm was not going to renew our automobile policy.

When Mr. Kang told me that he could not write another policy for my husband and I, because State Farm was not going re-issue our automobile policy, my reaction was one of shock. I asked Mr. Kang, "You mean, after all these years with State Farm, these two fender-benders will cause us to lose our insurance? Mr. Kang's response was, "Those two small accidents, could have been $250,000 accidents." I asked Mr. Kang, "Is there anything we could do?" His response was that we could appeal the decision, but it was pretty well- locked, that we were not going to get a renewal of our policy.

Mr. Kang was aware that we were not new customers of State Farm, because we had twice discussed transferring our other State Farm
insurance policies from another state. What I do not understand, is why Mr. Kang did not go to bat for us, when he first learned that State Farm had decided not to reissue our policy and why he did not inform us of this decision immediately.

State Farm Corporate Office was under the impression that we were new customers and that in a short period of time, we had two accidents. I would not have written another policy on us either, under those circumstances. I guess what I am saying here, is that I do not think that Mr. Kang handled our issue, in the same professsional,
considerate manner that State Farm Corporate Office did.

Below, is the second, of two emails I received from Mr. Kang concerning my report on this website. Again, I apologize to State Farm for not updating this report sooner. If I were State Farm, I would think it only fair, that I write an update to this report.

Rip-Off Report
Subject: Rip-Off Report
From: "Navreet Kang" Date: Wed, 20

Oct 2004 10:32:39 -0500
To:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Vosburgh:

We have come to know that you had written and posted a message on the
Rip-Off Report on the internet (

httpa/www.ripoffreport.com/reportslripoff84553.htm) regarding your non-renewal of automobile policies due to the driving record of Mr. Vosburgh (two at-fault accidents within 2 weeks or so). Since the non-renewal was rescinded after a follow-up with you and your long history as a State Farm client, may we request that you either retract what's posted on the "Report" or issue an addendum to the effect that your problem was resolved to your satisfaction, without resulting in any harm to you?

Our Corporate Office is aware of this report, and I would appreciate your response in this matter as soon as possible. As always, we appreciate your business.

Sincerely, Navreet S. Kang President,
Navreet Kang Insurance Agency, Inc. httpalwww.navreetkang.com

THIS IS MY VISION OF A PERFECT WORLD

In a perfect world, Mr. Kang would have called us, or emailed us twice, to tell us that State Farm had decided not to renew our automobile policy,

In a perfect world, Mr. Kang, in the beginning, would have went to bat for us, informing State Farm Corporate Office that we were 14 year customers, that we had been claim-free, until those two freak accidents in the winter of 2003.

In a perfect world, Mr. Kang would have told me, that he understood how accidents do happen and given me the information I needed to resolve
the issue, instead of pointing-out that our accidents could have been $250,000 accidents.

In a perfect world, I would not have to file a report on this website, because Mr. Kang would have tended to us, in the same manner as he would his own family.

In a perfect world, you could walk into an office and not feel alarmed by the behavior of others.

In a perfect world, people would treat people fairly, and afford them the same opportunities and understanding, that they have been given.

Even in a not so perfect world, It can still happen.

Resolution, Get aggressive

AUTHOR: Mo - (U.S.A.)

This is in response to "State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Ripoff Illinois 36 Years with State Farm Two Minor Fender-Benders Total Of $1900.00 Will Not Renew Our Policy Bloomington Illinois". My mother had almost the exact situation occur to her. She has been with State Farm for over 20 years, never an accident, then she had 2 fender benders within 6 months. She received a letter in the mail shortly thereafter stating that they would no longer carry her and were not renewing her policy. She then contacted the corporate headquarters (your agent can give you the number) and refuted the non-renewal. They complied since she has been a member for some time and renewed her policy. They did not raise her premiums either. You should check into this. If you wish for further info, you can email me and I will get more info for you from her on exactly what she did to resolve her particular situation. Get aggressive and GOOD LUCK!!!