Complaint Review: Stoneberry

Stoneberry
1356 Williams Street Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin USA

Stoneberry Pre-Approved Rip Off Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

*Consumer Suggestion: Simple Solution

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: may want to consider this...

2013-12-13

I received a catalog in the mail from Stoneberry a few days ago. I put it away and didn't much attention to it.  My adult daughter saw it and noticed the  line,"Congratulations! You're Pre-Approved" Also, in an insert box, a statement, "You Can Charge Today With Your Pre-Approved Credit. May as Little as $5.99 A Month.  WOW!!! I thought to myself, perhaps I can get some things for my grand kids this year for Christmas.  My daughter is a single mom, with two children and the oldest in college.  Being able to get a few presents for Christmas to help with things seem to be such a great idea. In addition, last year we had a thankul and blessed Christmas, but we weren't able to do as much as we had desired. Just prior to Christmas I had to have a mastetectomy.  I am retired and my resources are limited. Well, to get to the point, my internet was off, so I mailed in my order, using the order form. I thought that after receipt, I would get a telephone call of something, to confirm order.However, when I was able to get my internet up, which was a day or so, I placed an order online and created an account.  When I placed the order, I got an email from Stoneberry, confirming my order, and that my items will be sent once my order has 'final approval." ATt that point, I thought, "final approval, I thought that I was already approved."  Well, I waited two days and checked my order status. the same status was noted.  After seeing that the order had not been processed, I then decided to call customer service. I don't recall the person's name to whom I spoke with, but she informed me that my mail-in order, required a 25% depoist before it could be sent, and the online order required a 50% deposit. Well, I exclaimed to the rep that both orders were basically need same, and one  I will be cancelling.  Then, I asked if I would receive the order by Christmas, and I was told that there was no guarentee, even though there is a shipping schedule online and in the catalog detailing if an order is placed by a certain date, you will get the order by Christmas. Based on the schedule, both of my orders met the timeframe to arrive before Christmas.  But, the rep said that they are doing that any more, just standard delivery, which will take 5-7 business days, after the order is shipped.  The amount that I needed to pay for my 25% for the mail-in order was $100.50 by telephone using a credit or debit card.  After speaking with the rep, I felt so uneasy, and uncomfortable so I decided to do sme research on this company, via the internet.  As a result, I found Rip-Off, and there were about 17 complaints documented, including the "Pre-Approved scam.  After reading some of the complaints, I am so thankful that I did not pay the down payment and continue with this scam, because I do beleive that it is a scam indeed. Stoneberry, I believe are preying on people who may be having financial difficulty, but yet to be able to buy some things for their home or family.   Oh, I fail to mention that when I looked further at my order details, there was comments on each item deposits were due and the amount, and that a letter had been mailed to customer, stating same. Nonetheless, I am truly thankful that I didn't fall prey to their scam.  Hopefully, I'll be able to take the deposit money that they were asking for and check out HSN for a few presents.  Even though I will pay a little at HSN, but they are not scammers, and I'll be able to make installments, interest free.  I don't think it really interest free, everything is just in the price.  But, i take that over Stoneberry scams

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/13/2013 05:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Stoneberry/Chippewa-Falls-Wisconsin-54729/Stoneberry-Pre-Approved-Rip-Off-Chippewa-Falls-Wisconsin-1106871. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Stoneberry

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Simple Solution

AUTHOR: Alabama - (USA)

Solution: All communications from Stoneberry to a potiential customer concerning pre-approval should be stated "Subject to credit approval with a 25% down payment."

I don't think the paying of 25% down is a problem for the potential customer...the problem is the 25% down payment NOT being disclosed upfront on the pre-approval communication is making this advertisment misleading & THAT is the problem.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

may want to consider this...

AUTHOR: hrupp22 - ()

I used to work for a company like Stoneberry. You noted that the 25% down payment would be over $100. That means you placed an order for over $400. Most people are only pre-approved for about $250 so that means you went over your pre-approved credit limit so naturally they would ask for a down payment.  Also, there is no way to completely approve you without the needed info (ss#, income...) so there is never a promise that they can actually approve you for that amount. The pre-approval is how they lure customers in. It's technically a credit card therefore you should treat it like one. Placing a large order like you did wasn't a great idea to begin with.