Complaint Review: Strayer University

• Reported By: ladyshanel — hyattsville Maryland
Strayer University
6830 Laurel St Nw Washington, Dist of Columbia USA

Strayer University Deceptive financial aid practices Washington DC

In August 2009, I had left a shady local college and wanted to go to a school with a good reputation and chose Strayer based on the advice of others.  The staff at the Takoma Park location was very nice, helpful and explained how their school operated/teacher and staff/curriculum/etc. When it came down to my financial aid, I was told that my previous school had messed up my financial aid and that I would have to pay about $630 as a remaining balance. I told them that was great since I could not afford to pay for college directly on my low salary but I could definitely afford to pay the $630 in installments. I agreed and signed my promisary note.

I took 2 classes in one of their downtown DC locations from October through December, and was even given book vouchers to get me started. Around late December I noticed I had not received a bill and called on 1/8/10 about my $630 installment agreement because I thought it was odd that I didn't get a bill. [continued below]....

..... I was sent an email stating that I was told about my loan with my previous school (true) and that I needed to contact the previous school and ask for proof of loan cancellation (which I did). I was told that I skip the Winter 2010 quarter, my financial aid would be stopped. I tried to sign up for classes and was told I couldn't.  On 2/4/10, I received an email asking when I was going to pay $3020. What??? I called the school and was told that I didn't get the loan money and had to pay the $3020 in order to start my next semester. I was sent an email which has a screen attachment from ...9/21/09....which means that they had PLENTY of time to tell me that I did not have the loan money to start class at that time and could have started in the winter!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/27/2013 08:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Strayer-University/-Washington-Dist-of-Columbia-20012/Strayer-University-Deceptive-financial-aid-practices-Washington-DC-1062499. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Strayer University