Complaint Review: Stubhub

• Updated: Thu, January 14, 2010

• Reported By: peeeeeanut — Nashville Tennessee United States of America
Stubhub
199 Fremont St., Ste. 300 San Francisco, California United States of America

Stubhub Allows Sellers to Provide Misleading Information w/No Consequences, San Francisco, California

*UPDATE Employee: Response to recent Post

What a gyp!  I bought tickets to see the band Wilco in Atlanta, Georgia, on March 25, '09.  The tickets were advertised as "INSIDE AISLE" (I have a copy of the ticket listing).

Lo and behold, the tickets arrive and are nowhere near the aisle.  I contact customer support and receive a nastygram indicating Stubhub is only going to guarantee row and section - however, there's a big passage in their Customer Help section on the website saying vendors can offer that information if they want.

Frankly, I wouldn't have bought these tickets if I'd known they weren't on the aisle.  Stubhub offers no way to provide feedback, no way to contact the seller, no consequences whatsoever.

What's the big deal?  If the seats aren't on the aisle, don't list them on the aisle, as a seller - and if you're Stubhub, don't allow vendors to flat-out lie in listings and then refuse to hold them accountable.

I mentioned in my email to customer support that I'm considering cancelling the sale with my credit card, and they claim to block from future sales anyone that uses this tactic.  My question is:  why would I want to do business with a company that tries to pass off dishonesty to its customers with a straight face?  The ticketing business is 100% location, location location (as realtors say) and if you're going to spend several times the face value for a concert, in many cases, you need to be getting what they tell you you're buying.

Shame on you, Stubhub.  I'm going to tell everyone I know that you'll allow flat-out deception in event listings and that this is just a crummy company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/13/2010 01:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Stubhub/San-Francisco-California-94105/Stubhub-Allows-Sellers-to-Provide-Misleading-Information-wNo-Consequences-San-Francisco-553892. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Stubhub

Response to recent Post

AUTHOR: Stubhubecc - (U.S.A.)

Hello, my name is Jonathan and Im following up on behalf of the Executive Customer Care Department at StubHub. We recently read your comment and can certainly understand your frustration with this StubHub experience.  Regardless of the scenario our goal is to provide the best customer service possible while maintaining a safe, user-friendly and reliable secondary ticket marketplace.  I would like to apologize on behalf of StubHub if you have not received the customer service you deserve and would also ask for the opportunity to provide it. You raised several concerns and its my goal to address all of them and hopefully provide you with some peace of mind in the end.

It may help to explain that StubHub works as a secondary marketplace where fans can buy and sell tickets. We guarantee that the section and row of the tickets purchased will be accurate and do rely on our Sellers to list their tickets according to the correct section and row. Our website contains an area where Sellers can choose to add additional comments to their online ticket listing that may assist in their tickets selling quicker. However, Sellers are explicitly instructed to limit their comments to pertinent information about the tickets, such as the seats being handicapped accessible, a parking pass being included, or even what gate may be the best to use to access the seats. Sellers are also instructed to NOT post comments that may be inaccurate or editorial in nature, such as, Best seats in the house, or any other personal descriptions or opinions of the tickets or their location. Because of the freedom given to our Sellers in the listing process, Section 5.4 of our User Agreement states that StubHub does not guarantee any information provided by Sellers in the Seller Comments area of ticket listings.  That said however, we do carefully monitor seller accounts and sellers can be penalized for providing inaccurate information in their ticket listings.

Unfortunately, without knowing the specific transaction or user account involved in this situation, I am unable to provide a more detailed response at this time.  I would like the opportunity to review your transaction to better understand what transpired and see if there is anything we can do to try and provide a more satisfying resolution.  If you are interested in discussing this directly, please send an email to jcorey@stubhub.com.  Please include the transaction number or email address that your StubHub account is registered with.  I look forward to speaking with you!  Jonathan Corey, Executive Customer Care Specialist.