Complaint Review: StubHub

• Submitted: Wed, October 21, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, December 17, 2009

• Reported By: Jacqueline — Lancaster Pennsylvania U.S.A.
StubHub
199 Freemont Street, Suite 300 San Francisco, California United States of America

StubHub Warning - Deceptive prices for sellers - please read before using StubHub San Francisco, California

*Author of original report: Still unhappy

*Consumer Comment: Same exact thing happened to me

*UPDATE Employee: StubHub Response to Jacqueline

I had four Steelers' Tickets to sell and listed them on StubHub in which they were immediately sold within an hour for an event ten days away. We were forced to cancel the sale the next day as there were issues with the soarce of who gave of us the tickets not allowing resale. I contacted StubHub immediately to find out what the cancellation fee would be. There were numerous e-mails between two representatives with the blanket statement "once we find 'reasonable' equivalant, we will advise of the cancellation charge". I had expected the possibility of $100.

After two days, I received an e-mail from orders@stubhub.com that the tickets were mine to to keep and to disregard previous e-mails. The e-mail even offers for me to resale the tickets with StubHub if I would liek. Therefore, since I was not given a fee quote and was told to "disregard the previous e-mails", I felt that we could proceed with our plans to go. I would have been happy to pay a reasonable fee, but was not ready for $752.50 to be charged to my credit card the same day that they determined the fee for "reasonable ticket replacement". There was no ability for me to ask questions or get return e-mails when I posed questions about the calculated charge. A 40-minute customer service phone call yielded the same response, nothing.

While StubHub does require that you honor the sale or face a cancellation fee, I asked what determined the $752.50 as seat prices fluctuate continually the week before the sale. The agent denied that anyone would send me an e-mail to keep the tickets and stated that the calculation of the replacement tickets did not need to be disclosed to me, thus I am paying for this fee. I asked the guy, what if the replacement cost was determined to be $4,000 and he said "we would charge your card the same". I am reporting this against StubHub for a.) sending me an e-mail to disregard previous e-mails in which the cancellation charges were discussed and b.) how they calcuate the "reasonable" cancellation fee. I also am frustrated with my 40 minute conversation with their customer service representatives.

Beware as a sellar that you would list your tickets and face the possibility of thousands of dollars in fees charged immediately without prior notice or explanation of the exact charge breakdown. I have bought tickets from StubHub before (at least 100 tickets) and will now close my account. I will also pass along to my vendors and customers that utilize StubHub to do the same. A simple explanation of what the cost consists of and a set date (e.g., five days before it charged) would have been nice.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/21/2009 08:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/StubHub/San-Francisco-California-94105/StubHub-Warning-Deceptive-prices-for-sellers-please-read-before-using-StubHub-San-Fra-513027. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on StubHub

Still unhappy

AUTHOR: Jo_roland - (U.S.A.)

Not only did Stubhub lose me personally as a customer, they have lost the respect of my company in making our reward purchases for customers, vendors, and employees.

Same exact thing happened to me

AUTHOR: Michael - (United States of America)

This is amazing! The exact same thing happened to me today. I had three Steelers tickets that I bought from a season ticket holder. It turned out I could not attend the game so I put them for sale on stubhub. When I told the owner of the tickets who sold them to me that I had sold them on stubhub, he became upset because if someone acts inappropriately while using his seats, he could lose his tickets. In fact, he refused to let me continue the sale of his tickets. This forced me to have to cancel the order.

When talking to customer representative specialists, they all told me that reasonable equivalents are usually found and that I might not even have to pay anything. It sounded like the worst case might be about $50 or so especially since these are nose bleed seats for a 6-7 football team.

Like the previous writer, I was told my order had been cancelled and to disregard all previous e-mails. Shortly after I was charged $339!!!!! Now I had sold the tickets for face value on facebook, which is $225 for 3 tickets. This means the person who bought them paid this amount. By adding these numbers together, this means that they replaced my cancelled order with someone asking for $564 ($188 per ticket)! When I went on the stubhub website, there were 3 tickets being offered a few sections over for just $18 more than what I had asked!

A call to a representative and a supervisor saw them offering to cut the price in half and they kept mentioning this guarantee. I said I understand the guarantee, but that there is no way that these are the cheapest tickets they can find to this game. I was actually told that because it was already done there was nothing they could do except a one time courtesy to lower my fee to $160!!!!! To me this is still unacceptable.

Unfortunately I had never had a bad experience with stubhub until now. However their unwillingness to help a relatively new customer by charging me a reasonable fee will lead to a complete loss of my future business. They will definitely lose more money with this decision in the long run because I am an avid sports fan and I WILL NEVER PURCHASE FROM THEM AGAIN!!!!!!

Your loss Stubhub -- you lost a reliable and honest customer tonight.

StubHub Response to Jacqueline

AUTHOR: Stubhubecc - (U.S.A.)

Hi Jacqueline,

I am following up on behalf of the Executive Customer Care Department at StubHub. I read your review and understand that you are questioning the financial impact of the charge received on the sale of your tickets, as a result of the tickets no longer being available for the contracted StubHub sale. I apologize for any confusion you may have encountered in this situation and appreciate the opportunity to provide an explanation for the charge you received from us.

Essentially, when a seller is unable to fulfill an order after confirming it, StubHub utilizes our site in attempt to locate the buyer comparable or better replacement tickets to ensure their entry into the event as per our Fan Protect Guarantee. According to our User Agreement, our sellers are accountable for any cost difference it takes StubHub to fulfill the order with replacement tickets. Unfortunately, we will not know the full financial impact to our sellers until acceptable replacement tickets have been located and accepted by the buyer. At that time, we email the seller to let them know the order has been cancelled and to inform them of any applicable charges they will incur.

I can appreciate that your expectation of the potential charge may have differed from what actually occurred. Unfortunately, without knowing any specifics about your transaction, Im not able to provide a breakdown of the charge or a further explanation on why you received it. For this reason, I was hoping we could review each step of your order together.

If you are interested in discussing this directly, please send an email to yourfeedbackmatters@stubhub.com and include the StubHub Order Number for your transaction, or the email address that your StubHub account is registered with. I look forward to speaking with you!

Gregg Dispenza, StubHub Executive Customer Care