Complaint Review: Sun State Tree Service

• Submitted: Thu, October 11, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, May 29, 2009

• Reported By:Apopka Florida
Sun State Tree Service
295 Lyman Road Casselberry, Florida U.S.A.

A Sun State Tree Service, Sun State Tree Service Misrepresentation or Failure to Disclose - Consumer Beware! Casselberry Florida

*UPDATE Employee: The conculsion to this incident

On Monday, October 9, 2007, I approached a representative of Sun State, regarding removal of debris from my yard. The rep quoted $100.00, wrote up what I thought was a Work Order. (The city removed this kind of debris on Thursdays.) I signed it and he informed me that I had until 6:00 p.m. that same evening to cancel the order. If I did not cancel by that time, they would be removing the debris on Thursday, October 11, 2007. I told him I would like to confirm with my husband and left with a pink copy of the order. I spoke with my husband and then called and cancelled. This was done before 2:00 p.m. I spoke with the receptionist who told me she would take care of the cancellation.

On Thursday, while I was away from my home, workers came and removed the debris. I immediately called the company when the rep tried to negotiate a lower payment. I refused because I had cancelled and to be honest, I do not have the funds to pay. He responded that the work was done and I have to pay. I called the company to get the matter resolved but was told that a manager would assist me. After waiting and no call, I called again, a Sales Manager came on the phone and told me that I signed the contract and that I was responsible. He asked me if I read the back of the invoice. I read the back of the contract (after my conversation with the Sales Manager) which said I had to cancel in writing 3 days prior the job date. Between invoice ate date and job date are 2 days. On the 9th of October, while I was having the conversation with Sun State, my neighbor was standing next to me and heard him say that I have until 6:00 p.m. to cancel the order. During my many telephone conversations with the rep or the receptionist, at no time was it mentioned to me that I had to cancel in writing.

If that is the only criteria for cancellation, they should let their clients know up front before they hand over paperwork to sign. Had I known that this was an issue with them, I would never sign the invoice knowing that I had only 2 days and couldn't cancel. I think I was tricked into signing and now I am being forced to pay for a job I cancelled.

Cameron-apopka
Apopka, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/11/2007 11:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sun-State-Tree-Service/Casselberry-Florida-32707/A-Sun-State-Tree-Service-Sun-State-Tree-Service-Misrepresentation-or-Failure-to-Disclose-278547. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sun State Tree Service

The conculsion to this incident

AUTHOR: Sun State Trees - (U.S.A.)

First off let me say that I apologize for my sales staff's lack of customer assurance. They were trying to do their job which is collect payment for services rendered. The fact of the matter remains that we performed the services you agreed upon, completed the job, and still have not received payment. When this came to my attention a few days after the incident between the sales men I "wrote it off" the books. $100 is not worth bad business relations.
But in truth the company or business is always damaged in a situation like this. By bad publicity, lack of payment, expenses incurred to perform the service and so on.

The lesson here once again is that you read everything on a document before you sign it. Legally this customer owes me $100.00 but we felt even before the submission of this bias report that it was insignificant. I am always confronted with this problem from a person that has not learned this lesson or continues to repeat this mistake.

Rest assured if this customer in the future finds themselves in a dire dilemma in which they require the services of our company we will gladly be there.