Complaint Review: Sunshine State Shar Pei Rescue

• Updated: Fri, April 18, 2014

• Reported By: Lynn — Gosport Indiana
Sunshine State Shar Pei Rescue
1330 Red Fox Run Deltona, Florida USA

Sunshine State Shar Pei Rescue SSSPR failed to conduct proper due diligence in dog aggression testing on a pitbull mix placed for adoption through this rescue.  Deltona Florida

i adopted the dog after completing application and paying for adoption fee, sizable donation, boarding fees and transport. Dog was human friendly but dog aggressive. My application was clear that I had 6 other dogs, lived on a farm, and had livestock. Was told before dog came to me that he was sweet, got along with other dogs but preferred his own space, was seen by a trainer, but was never dog aggression tested. upon arrival, dog was human sweet and friendly, slowly socialized with other dogs, and after 4 weeks attacked a smaller dog and almost killed him. rescue dog also was livestock aggressive, attemped to bolt toward herd and was growling. after almost killing my smaller dog, the local no-kill shelter was contacted, felt it safest for them to take dog for few days of time out while we decided what to do...Humane Officer cautioned of a possible fatality if dogs were not separated and we had no where else to fully contain dog so we contacted rescue as this was a bad fit. [continued below]....

..... Rescue staff and the boarding facility staff leveled extremely harsh accusations which were false, contacted a number of my facebook friends with horrible things written, accused me of killing another dog, publically posted my name on various fb pages and reported me to the Do Not Adopt registry...I was never asked for my version of the story, only hit with terrible and false accusations. Adoption contract says adoption fee of $200 is refundable if adoption fails, rescue refuses to refund that money. Again, I paid over $900 for this dog for adoption fee $200, donation $300, boarding about $300 and another $175 for transport...I was accused of harming the dog which is false and made sure he was safely returned with a last donation of $200 toward his transport BACK to his rescue in Florida. This was an unfortunate failed adoption, but with his unknown history and scars suggesting he may have been a bait dog, the SSSRP had a responsibility to be sure he was a good fit for my home and situation which they did not. Further research indicates that unless socialized young with other animals and livestock, pit bulls are not a good fit for homes with other dogs (especially same gender) and livestock. Therefore SSSPR failed in its responsibility to ensure a favorable home fit for this dog and failed to reimburse me for the failed adoption fee as per the adoption contract...All of my research indicates that a pit bull dog with an unknown history should be human and animal aggression tested and this dog was not tested other than having been seen by a trainer.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/18/2014 12:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sunshine-State-Shar-Pei-Rescue/Deltona-Florida-32725/Sunshine-State-Shar-Pei-Rescue-SSSPR-failed-to-conduct-proper-due-diligence-in-dog-aggress-1139944. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sunshine State Shar Pei Rescue