Complaint Review: Support Plaza

• Updated: Mon, December 02, 2013

• Reported By: Truthseeker — Vancouver Washington
Support Plaza
63-32 Grand Central Parkway Forest Hills, New York USA

Support Plaza, Mirch Media, SMD Tech Support, Vivek Thaper, Claims they are with Microsoft Tech Support and a Virus needs immediate attention Forest Hills New York

*Consumer Comment: Same Thing

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: True Happened to me!!!

My sister received several calls from an unknown caller and she decided to answer the call. The caller was a man claiming that he was with Microsoft tech support and he was calling because her computer had a serious virus that needed immediate attention.  He said that criminals could access all of her private information and then they would destroy everything on her computer.

Coincidentally or not, her bank had just notified her that someone was trying to make charges on her credit card and they were going to issue a new card.

She is over 50 years old and needs her computer for work so she was very upset to hear this news.  The man said not to worry, he was authorized to fix it for free before matters get worse, but it needed immediate attention.  He directed her to www.ammyy.com which is a site to download a program allowing him to take control of her computer. [continued below]....

.....

Thankfully, before she hit the download button she realized that she had no idea who this person was.   She questioned him further; he said his name was Robert but he was located in India and that she could easily verify who he was by going to www.supportplaza.com and calling the number on the screen, 1-866-856-4811.

She told him she would call me first and get back to him.  My sister has an active subscription to Webroot virus protection on her computer and I personally verified there is no virus on her machine.

She called me and we made a three way call to 1-866-856-4811 and I asked if this is how they do business, calling unsuspecting, innocent older people and scaring them into having a stranger access their computer!   The man answering said he was sorry to hear this and they are supposed to only call to offer computer services.  He was a complete liar and when I told him I was contacting the Secretary of State he hung up.

Clearly, this is a scam operation that preys on the elderly and unsuspecting people who believe Microsoft is trying to contact them to help them.  The scammer would have stolen everything off of her machine, corrupted it and then apologized with having been too late and needing a credit card to get the job done.

We wonder how they got her cell number and if in-fact somehow had hacked into a database where her credit card number and phone number may be stored?

In closing, please never believe anyone is calling to do a free virus repair as it is a criminal calling to rob you.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/02/2013 07:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Support-Plaza/Forest-Hills-New-York-11375/Support-Plaza-Mirch-Media-SMD-Tech-Support-Vivek-Thaper-Claims-they-are-with-Microsof-1103783. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Support Plaza

Same Thing

AUTHOR: Nascarch - ()

Happened to me last evening. The gentleman told me that he received my information from my Microsoft contract that I just actived last year. I was very skeptical due to the fact that the number came as unknown and then NO Caller ID. He seemed to be in a hurry to get me to my computer. I was not physically at that particular computer at the time and told him I needed to call him back and asked for the name of the company. He gave me this company and the same phone number. Insteresting.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

True Happened to me!!!

AUTHOR: Behonest - ()

The exact same thing happened to me! They are scammers! Beware of Support Plaza  Allen and Ethan from India