Complaint Review: T mobile

• Updated: Wed, March 27, 2013

• Reported By: Von Klasu — New York New York
T mobile
New York, New York United States of America

T-mobile refuse to unlock a non-subsidized phone I bought cash from them. New York, New York

I bought the phone less than a year ago for $320 cash as a non-subsidized phone with a $50 a month plan for two years. I use it primarily for business purposes.

Three months ago I unlocked it because I often travel abroad. A few weeks later after my return the phone acted up: I could not hear the people calling me, nor they me. When I called up, there was no problem. OK, after many online chats and tech frustrations "customer service" sent me a REFURBISHED (I paid for a new) replacement phone. It seemed, however, to work OK.

I waited a week and planning a business trip abroad again I requested a new unlock code for the phone. No problem. Three weeks later the damn phone developed the exact same problem: I could not hear people in the other end, they could not hear me.

New chats, phone calls and what not. They now send me a second REFURBISHED phone. That's all "they can do" as they explain it. I stress that I need an new unlock code to the phone since I'm leaving for an International business trip in less than a week (as I write this in two days).
They explain that all I have to do is to contact support once I have the phone and they will "request the code for me".

Yesterday I made the request. Today I received the following message in an email:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. This subscriber has received an unlock code within the last 90 days. Per T-Mobile Policy only one unlock code will be provided per active subscriber every 90 days. Please submit a new request 90 days after the last unlock code was provided.

Sim Unlock Department
T-Mobile USA, Inc."

I am speechless. I call support immediately and get forwarded to three different departments - to no ado. "It is our policy to wait 90 days" they maintain. Nothing they can do...

I maintain that it is my "policy" to buy a phone that works and if it does not work to return it and get my money back. It goes on and on - I am offering to cancel my account  - with no cancellation fee of course  - and send them my REFURBISHED phone while accepting a 50% payback on my original payment of $330. Fair offer I think.

Eventually an "account supervisor" make this fantastic claim: That T-mobile do not have the unlock codes!! But if I call Samsung Customer Service directly they might be able to help!! I call Samsung immediately and talk to a professional warranty expert. She is laughing. I am laughing (mostly because I'm exhausted).

The warranty expert suggest I call T-mobile back and put us all on a conference call so the Samsung warranty expert can explain this T-mobile "account supervisor" who has the unlock codes and who distributes them.

I call T-mobile, but of course the "account supervisor" in question is no longer available. Instead I get a new one. She makes excuses for the false information yet maintains that the 90-day rule is indeed their policy, and that if I want to pursue the matter further I have to write to "Corporate".

Can you believe it? This is supposed to be a professional company who are in the middle of a huge marketing campaign to offer "no contract plans" to the American consumer. But who has the "policy" that if they sell you a bad product you are out of luck when it comes to the "number of unlock codes" they are willing to provide you with for A PHONE YOU PAID FULL PRICE FOR!!!!

Now I have to buy an unlocked phone I can use abroad for the next couple of months while at the same time being hooked up with a cell phone plan I cannot use.

T-mobile is bad business. Do not get involved with them. Do not buy into their claims that you can buy a non-subsidized phone to get a favorable contract. Choose a phone the carrier pays for. That way you wont get caught in the ponzi-scheme Im caught in.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/27/2013 06:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/T-mobile/New-York-New-York-10009/T-mobile-refuse-to-unlock-a-non-subsidized-phone-I-bought-cash-from-them-New-York-New-Yo-1038638. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on T mobile