Complaint Review: Tapps Garage, aka Tapps Auto Service Center

• Submitted: Mon, October 28, 2002
  • Updated: Wed, December 28, 2005

• Reported By:Denver CO
Tapps Garage, aka Tapps Auto Service Center
8000 E. Mississippi Ave. Denver, Colorado U.S.A.

Tapps Garage, aka Tapps Auto Service Center tricked and lied to us Denver Colorado

*Consumer Comment: Mari Evidence Seems Contraryko Whines About Tapps:

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Tapp's Employs THE Best Technicians

*Consumer Comment: TAPPS - Honest, and Good!

*Consumer Suggestion: In this day and age it has become as critical for repair shops to screen their customers as it is for customers to screen their shops.

*Consumer Comment: Tapped out... NINETY DOLLARS to check two electrical problems?

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Unfair posting against Tapps Garage, treated fairly and honestly and I can see no justification for this posting

A few months ago I took my car to get it looked at. One thing I had them take a look at was my sunroof. It wasn't working so I had it checked out. They charged me $90.00 for the sunroof and told me that it wasn't working, which I obviously already knew. I asked them why they were charging me so much and they told me they had to take apart certain parts of my car (places which made no sense to look at) to look at it.

So basically for doing nothing they wanted to charge me $90.00. I thought this was rediculous. and when I wanted an explanation they would always give me a bogous excuse.
Later on I found out that the reason why my sunroof wasn't working was because the + wire was just hanging there and not connected. All that had to be done was to connect the wire.

If I had asked Tapps Garage to fix my sunroof they were going to charge me $90.00+ just for looking at it plus more money to fix it when all that needed to be done was connect the + wire

The reason why I took my car here was because they were on the referral list for troubleshooter.com so i thought they would be good but I was wrong.
They lie and make you spend more then you need to.

Mariko
Denver, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/28/2002 09:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Tapps-Garage-aka-Tapps-Auto-Service-Center/Denver-Colorado-80231/Tapps-Garage-aka-Tapps-Auto-Service-Center-tricked-and-lied-to-us-Denver-Colorado-33592. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Tapps Garage, aka Tapps Auto Service Center

Mari Evidence Seems Contraryko Whines About Tapps:

AUTHOR: Car; - (U.S.A.)

As a satisfied Tapps customer for over eight years, I find Mariko's complaint groundless for the following reasons:

(1) Mariko took her car for service in April 2002, was upset and had her $90 refunded the same day.
(2) Mariko did not file a ripoff report until October 2002--nearly six months later-- in which she failed to mention (a) her request for electric locks diagnosis requiring door panel removal or (b) the fact that her $90 was refunded.

Therefore, I can only conclude that Mariko likes to whine as she clearly does in her report.

Finally, I want to say that when I clicked on your indicator to discover other ripoff claims against Tapps Garage, I was not surprised to find none. In other words since Mariko's whining report was filed over two years ago, you have not received another complaint against Tapps Garage. Such evidence, or lack of complaints, plus my own experience with Tapp's extremely professional and fair service are reasons why I have and will continue to recommend Tapps Garage to my serious car owner friends and relatives.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Tapp's Employs THE Best Technicians

AUTHOR: Kevin - (U.S.A.)

I am an ex-employee of Tapps Garage. While it was not the most pleasant work environment, it was a shop full of competent employees and honest management. They charge a hefty price, but take a walk through the shop and observe the caliber of technician in EVERY stall. Fix it right the first time comes at a premium.

I assure the reader that the technician who worked on this vehicle has tens of thousands of dollars in tools to make diagnosis quick and relatively inexpensive considering the task, plus thousands of dollars in training provided by Tapp's garage. (I don't know who worked on the car, but an employee who would receive a repair like that in Tapp's garage would undoubtedly dwarf the intellect of the average technician)

Finally, the angry "victim" in this case was upset that the problem was simply a missing + wire connection. News flash: every electrical or computer problem in a car can be boiled down to a simple-sounding malfunctioning +,-, or load feature in a circuit. If finding an electrical problem was as simple as the "victim" purports, everybody would fix their own cars.

My questions: What do you charge for what you know? What do you charge for the services you offer? What did the hack charge to install that hole in your roof?

TAPPS - Honest, and Good!

AUTHOR: Adam - (U.S.A.)

I have been taking my cars to TAPPS for over 5 years now, and I have never been disappointed. I have found them to be extremely professional, to provide support above and beyond a typcial garage, and to be very competant at what they do. They retain highly qualified mechanics, which probably costs them more than they want to spend, but it means top notch technical service. Sure, I cringe anytime a repair to more than I would like to spend, but if it means I can keep my car in tip-top shape, then it is money well spent. It is too bad about the individual who had such poor experience, but it also shows what a classy outfit TAPPS since they refunded their money. Customer service is their number 1 priority.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Donald - (U.S.A.)

I have been an Automotive Talk Radio host in the Denver market for 8 years and have grown up in the automotive industry in Denver. Tapp's Garage which by the way is not the same as Tapp's Auto Service is well known as one of the finest diagnostic and repair shops in the Denver Metro area. They are not known for discount auto repair but then McDonald's is not known for their Steak and Lobster either. From personal experience I would say if they have any fault it is that they pull no punches and tell you exactly how it is. In light of the type of problem described it sounds to me like their diagnostic charges were actually low. Consumers of automotive service have two options when it comes to buying service. Educate yourself so that you can understand the processes shops go through to perform their job or find a shop that you trust and leave it up to them. For most consumers the best bet is to do some of both. Also, learn about the laws that surround auto repair. Colorado has an estimate law that basically requires that a shop get your authorization before spending more than $100 of your money. Since most problems that require the skills of a diagnostic to find can easily exceed that by 2-4 times most repair shops will ask for an initial fee and then advise you. The average new cars cost $26000 you can't fix em for $100 anymore.

Tapped out... NINETY DOLLARS to check two electrical problems?

AUTHOR: Gregg - (U.S.A.)

Let's see, NINETY DOLLARS to check two electrical problems? Sounds a mite steep, but she agreed to it. It sounds like there may have been a communication service. You refunded her charges? Why? If you provided the services contracted for, you earned it.

I could believe you wanted to avoid any problems from a difficult customer, if you didn't sound like such an asshole in your rebuttal. This site provides a much needed service that the BBB just gives lip service to. Note to self: Avoid Tapps if in this area.

Good PR doofus.

#6 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Ms Mariko Mizuno brought her '95 Mitsubishi to Tapps at 10:00 on 04/10/2002 to have the sunroof and electric door locks diagnosed. The ASE certified technician followed professional procedures by removing necessary trim panels and covers to access switches, wiring, connections and other pertinent components. The door locks were diagnosed to need a defective relay replaced. Ms Mariko Mizuno declined the repair and was charged $90.00, which she agreed to pay at the time that she left the car with Tapps.

The sunroof is a non-factory installation and poorly wired. The sunroof was diagnosed to have a disconnected power lead behind the left kick panel (one of the panels removed for testing). It was also determined that there was not an appropriate KEYED power source at that location to properly reconnect to. The technician's recommendation was to reroute and reconnect the wire at a cost of $45.00 in addition to the $90.00 diagnostic charge that Ms Mariko Mizuno had agreed to at the time that she left the car with Tapps. Ms Mariko Mizuno declined the repair, paid the diagnostic charges and left unhappy about the charges of which she had agreed to. Later that day after hearing about her dissatisfaction I refunded to Ms Mizuno $90.00 to her credit card at 5:20 PM on the same day and she was notified of the refund by way of a phone message.

Ms Mizuno was treated fairly and honestly and I can see no justification for this posting to remain on your web site or any links to it that you may be enabling. I further believe that RIP-OFF REPORT is doing a disservice to good businesses by posting such accusations with out verifying facts or notifying the accused. This posting has evidently been on you site for 17 months without my knowledge only to be discovered by accident by one of my employees. I believe that I have been wrongly accused and today I am seeking legal advice as to how I should further address this issue