Complaint Review: The Accutron Place

• Updated: Mon, September 30, 2013

• Reported By: Greta — Bolivia North Carolina
The Accutron Place
5 Laurel Court Marblehead, Massachusetts USA

The Accutron Place Marcus Martin Accutron214.com RIP-OFF by The Accutron Place & Marcus of accutron214.com, almost, BUT,Thank God,We Got A 2nd Opinion ! Marblehead Massachusetts

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: "The Accutron Place" Invoice - 3 Photos

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: More Photos

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: The entire report is pure fiction.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Old Father Time Responce

A Rip-Off Attempt was made by The Accutron Place, Accutron214.com and Martin Marcus, the Owner but by the Grace of God, we smelled something 'Rotten' and got a 2nd Opinion ! The 2nd Opinion saved us over $1,000 thousand dollars ! Keep your prized watch away from this person and his home-fix-it-shop !

Some time ago, my husband and I contacted The Accutron Place, Accutron214.com and Mr. Martin Marcus to send our vintage, antique Accutron 214 watch that needed to be polished and serviced. It was running, and had some mild scratches when we packaged it to send to Marcus. After a lengthy 'gestapo-like' process, dictated by Marcus, we were finally 'allowed' to send it. After another long period, we read an email from Marcus stating that the watch needed repairs and restoration that would cost in excess of $1600 hundred dollars. Marcus also stated that since it had not been running for a long period, this was the main reason for the high dollar amount for his 'services.'

This was the 'tip-off' that compelled us to ask him to send it back and search for a 2nd opinion. Of course the charge from Marcus because we didn't use his services was $200 hundred dollars ! This was Marcus' charge for his precious time for his dishonest estimate ! It seemed more like a penalty for refusing his 'services.' No one else charges money like this, it is unheard of ! Don't forget that the watch was running and had been running when we sent it to him ! It kept perfect time ! We had previously read in an article, that because it is an antique watch, that it should have a 'maintainance' and cleaning at regular intervals. Also, we wanted it buffed out and polished to take out the light scratches. When Marcus claimed that it had not been running for a long time, we knew something smelled rotten in Denmark ! He ignored our email, when we brought this fact out to him !

In the meantime we researched a company that was listed by Bulova, the maker of these watches, that has been servicing them since 1995 and that they were the preferred company to service our antique watch, according to Bulova. Wow, have we learned alot since we received our very high quote for Marcus' services ! Marcus works out of his residence, not a facility, but his residence !  Marcus never answers his phone ! You cannot talk to him ! Now we really know why ! It is so he doesn't get caught in a lie ! He uses a 'full' workload as his excuse for no time to talk on the phone. Of course he can find the time for email though ! It takes less time on the phone, than typing an email ! Make sense ? He likes the email & internet because he cannot get caught off guard and has plenty of time to work on his reply, without getting caught.

Marcus acts like he is the only person who is qualified to work on these watches and all others are sub-standard and do not know what they are doing ! This is far from being true, very far. He was a tool & die maker, and that was his life career before he became an Accutron 'buff.' Now he is a retired tool maker & a professional horologist ! While he was making tools for years, there were people out in this world for all of that same time that were maintaining & servicing these watches, and they still are, like the company, Old Father Time, that we found in Rockville Virginia!

Marcus also destroys the vintage, antique character of these watches, as we learned from OFT. He installs parts that he claims allow the watches to run on todays button cell batteries. He claims that the old style batteries had a different voltage, and the new batteries won't power the Accutron watch or keep the correct time, if they even will work. This is not the case. The new batteries work fine, and keep good time too ! By taking the original parts out of the watch to install new, modern parts, the watch has been 'modified' which destroys any antique, & vintage value that the watch has.

Marcus also uses generic parts as well.  Generic crystals, for example, when compared to the original crystals made by Bulova, will put your watch into a modified category, and once again devalue, or cheapen the watch, while at the same time charging you more than top-dollar !

We found Old Father Time in Virginia. We sent the watch there. We spoke on the phone several times. We had the battery replaced, the watch and crystal polished/buffed and along with routine maintainance, & received the watch back in less than 8 weeks total time. The charge ? Over a thousand ?  Not even close !

The total cost was $350 dollars ! The watch looks, shines & glows in the dark like it did, when it was new in the 60's ! It runs & hums perfectly ! The folks at OFT were so pleasant, knowledgable & professional. The owner is very nice and tipped us off to many of the 'hobbyists' that claim to be pros ! Not one time did we feel that we were spoken down to, as Marcus did with his email, his 'orders' and his refusal to talk on the phone ! So, the bottom line is to do your homework. Check out the 'business.' If it doesn't feel right, trust your feelings & get a 2nd opinion, & it could save you thousands of your hard earned dollars. Go to a brick and mortar actual business, that lists regular hours, with people that will talk with you, and explain their services. Be careful when one of these 'wanna be' self-proclaimed, long-time professionals wants to 'fix' and 'modify' your watch, that in turn, he or she is not destroying its antique or vintage value or character of your watch, as was almost the fact in this case, had we not been vigilant and with work, we learned the difference. We learned from true professionals ! Thank Goodness that we felt that something didn't ring true. Anyone can produce a fancy-looking website with alot of pictures, alot of words and colors !  Anyone can get an A+ rating from the BBB, it doesn't take much ! Anyone can pay or give their 'services' questionable or not, away in trade for an autograph or a signed picture from an old celebrity, like a ball player or let's say even an astronaut, that you have never even heard of.

Do you have one of these antique, vintage watches? Is it precious to you ? Did your loved one own it & it was left to you ? Ask around, do your research, ask Bulova, and finally ask yourself : Do you want to be treated like a human, and get a fair shake ? We  were treated very respectfully and received a very fair 'shake' from a facility in Rockville, Virginia. If there was a problem, we could go to a business to resolve it, instead of going to someone's residence ! He probably won't even answer the door in Marblehead, Mass., especially if he won't even talk on the phone ! We almost did 'business' in Marblehead Mass., at someone's residence, but we were lucky enough to end up doing business at a business, in a commercial district for business, in Rockville Virginia !

A sincere thanks to Ripoff Report for giving us the forum to be able to give help and advice to our fellow humans, our brothers & sisters, and for letting our potential bad experience be told, and that it may save someone not only some dollars, but more importantly it may save them from heartache ! Thank-You !

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/29/2013 03:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Accutron-Place/Marblehead-Massachusetts-01945/The-Accutron-Place-Marcus-Martin-Accutron214com-RIP-OFF-by-The-Accutron-Place-Marcus-o-1088167. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Accutron Place

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

"The Accutron Place" Invoice - 3 Photos

AUTHOR: Martin - ()

These photos show that Jeffrey added a $15 item to his invoice, increasing the total from $485 to $500. I apologize for missing that detail in my original rebuttle.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

More Photos

AUTHOR: Martin - ()

These photos are additional documentation

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

The entire report is pure fiction.

AUTHOR: Martin214 - ()

Pardon my late response to this attack; I only became aware of it this week.

The author of this anonymous report claims that I tried to charge a ridiculous amount for repairs and she states that I received a $200 non-refundable deposit. Those claims and all that followed are an absolute fiction.

The average cost of my repairs is $350 to $450 and I only require a $50 deposit which covers inspection and insured return shipping. I regularly sell fully restored Accutrons for as little as $950 with a 2 year guaranty and any claim that I charge 50% more for a repair than I do for a totally restored Spaceview is profoundly stupid, to put it kindly.

It’s clear to me that Greta of Bolivia, NC is only a surrogate who filed the report on behalf of Old Father Time, the shop in Virginia. They concocted quite a commercial at my expense, but try as I might, I can’t understand why they would be so foolish as to accuse me of doing something that they are notoriously famous for. Perhaps they thought that I would publish the information below and in a panic, used this tactic to discredit me. I had no such intension, but since I can’t possibly defend myself against “Greta”, who I have never heard of prior to this event, I have no choice other than to defend myself against OFT.

I have several of OFT’s documents in my possession. They were sent to me by 214 owners who were shocked at OFT’s prices. The most recent is a 2 page Service order dated 8/8/12 that was sent to me by a very worried guy from Grandville, MI. His repair according to the Service Order he received would cost him $1,815.91. After many pointless phone calls to OFT, he not only cancelled the repair, but he had them ship the watch directly to me. I still have the FedEx shipping label dated 8/23/12 in my files and I have the emails that passed between me and the incredibly relieved owner. The watch was in pretty bad shape when I received it, but the owner was quite happy with my $485 repair. I’ll try to upload photos with this report, but if I’m not successful, please email me. The email address can be found on my web site.

These are just a few of the items on the above document:
Their basic service charge was $346.50 plus an additional $65 for the hack spring adjustment. My basic service charge is $225 total for hacked 214’s.

Their charge for a coil assembly is $485 and their 6 month repair guaranty doesn’t cover coils.  My coils are priced at $175 and all parts replaced by me are included in my 1 year service guaranty or my 2 year restoration guaranty.

I love this one; they charged $17.50 for a screw. I don’t charge for screws.

The above statements are backed up with documentation which I will make available on request.

The attack narrative goes on and on for 10 paragraphs in which they make a great deal of the fact that I work out of my home. While true, it’s a distinction without a difference. How many brick and mortar repairers have a complete machine shop that can make its own customized repair tools and fixtures? (photos are on my web site)

Regarding the use of e-mails for all correspondence, I never get up from my microscope to answer the phone which rings constantly, even on weekends. Most of the callers are well meaning folks who are just looking for information that can easily be found on my web site. Unlike phone calls, an e-mail can transmit photographs and I take detailed photos of every watch as a regular part of my inspection. The pics are a really big advantage when there’s a question that would be hard to explain verbally or in print.

And finally, lacking any restraint, the attacker described my repair process as Gestapo-like. Seriously?

Through many revisions over the last 16 years, I have developed an efficient repair procedure which has served my customers well. It's a process that allows me to spend as much time as necessary on each repair and guarantees quality work at fixed published prices.

It seems to me that the best way to debunk fictional statements is to examine them under a bright light. To that end I am publishing the six relevant e-mails that I have been sending to potential customers for years. They document the process from beginning to end. Please view them at accutron214.com/Introduction.htm and judge for yourself.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,
Martin Marcus

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Old Father Time Responce

AUTHOR: Martin214 - ()

On 4/8/14 Barbara Williams of Old Father Time sent me an e-mail in which she wrote, and I quote her exact words: “I have no customer named Gretta, and have never had a single customer in Bolivia, NC.“

This lady who has been characterizing me and other internet based Accutron repairers as “hobbyists” for years, also denied that she posted the lies, but I remain unconvinced. The word “hobbyist” as used by her on her web site is intended to warn my potential customers not to do business with me and that’s a hostile act.

I could have responded by accurately derided her as a shopkeeper who knows nothing about repairing Accutrons" on my web site, but I avoided that right up until this ugly business happened, because I didn’t want to offend every honest shopkeeper who saw it and the fact that she doesn’t see it that way says something about who she is and what she might be capable of.

Martin Marcus