Complaint Review: The Event

• Updated: Sun, August 12, 2012

• Reported By: Patricia — Front Royal Virginia USA
The Event
miami, Florida United States of America

The Event PRONOUNCE TAY TALENT SEARCH Beware of Something for nothing with this Radio Driven Con to pull in children 4-17 to Talent Search My 15 year old daughter called a "talent Company" this was how they presented themselves over the miami, Florida

My 15 year old  called a local radio station Y100, after she heard the a local talent agency was having a open audition for children 4-17 st a very nice golf club the Doral country club in Miami.  We arrived at the hotel and realized that she was only 1 of a possible 200. they were herded into a ball room and then watch a video and then had a "private" audition that was set up in the back of the room.  Several other children and parents were lined up a tables also .

My daughter was asked to sing after the Man coated down from 3, she got may 3 bars done and he switched her to another song.  He led us to believe that with just that she will be making into the final cut and doing a short video was just a formality, and he wanted to see how well she look on camera...the camera was a cheap handheld video camera.  I was given a packet and told to call back at 9 am sharp the following day, which I did then they told me she finished in the top 10 out of 900,  He pumped it up by saying this shows that my daughter has the "it" factor.  He then informed me to make sure I bring a check for 3,000.00 to "secure" her spot in the BIG Event in orlando where she would meet with several agents and talent scouts.
Out of curiosity I asked if we could make payments.  He very quickly added that you daughter told me this was her dream(I did not hear that), and by not cercariae a spot that she may never get another shot. BS all the way.   Then he noticed that my address was 1000 miles away, then they wanted either cash or a cashiers check.

I told him I could not come up that kind of money.  He apologized and said he no longer could hold her spot.  But that I was making a huge mistake by not securing her spot. Needless to say my 15 year old daughter was devastated, but she'll recover.

I want to make sure another family does not get tricked into doing something like this.  The hotel was also under the impression that they were from Disney...I believe that is fraud.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/12/2012 07:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Event/miami-Florida-/The-Event-PRONOUNCE-TAY-TALENT-SEARCH-Beware-of-Something-for-nothing-with-this-Radio-Driv-926294. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Event