Complaint Review: the picture people

• Reported By: concerned consumer — anytown New York United States of America
the picture people
4201 coldwater rd fort wayne, Indiana United States of America

the picture people worst picture experience EVER fort wayne, Indiana

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Sorry for your experience...

I made an appt to get xmas pics made of my granddaughter and son. When making the appt I specifically asked for a photographer who was experienced, innovative and creative.

The photographer had less personality than a limp dish rag. Was given an express course in pointing and clicking a camera.

She was going to use a black background. The dress my granddaughter had on was black velvet on the top. WIth a black background, the dress would not show up. She looked like she had no idea this was a problem. She was then going to use a WHITE background. My son's shirt was white. So then his shirt would not show up. So we were left with a grey background. As these three choices were all there was........for xmas?!

The employee posed my granddaughter in generic poses, not christmasy, no props. I had to ask her to use a prop to make it seem more special.

Then she shot one pic of my granddaughter and my youngest son. In the pic they were hugging each other. You cannot see her face as my son is a foot and a half taller than my granddaughter.

My son [granddaughter's father] was able to go to this shoot with us. My son is shipping out for Afghanistan in 2 weeks. So I got him in the shot with his daughter and my other son [this pic actually turned out decent].

We had to coach my granddaughter during the shoot [hold your head up, smile big] as the employee was not doing this, was just pointing and clicking a camera.

After the shoot we sat down to view and pick out our pictures. Not a lot to choose from. The pics were ho hum, worse than walmart pics.

I had a coupon for 6 sheets for under 20 dollars. There was just the one shot with my youngest and my granddaughter so I had to choose that as my xmas package.

The rest were so generic and not great pics, it took me awhile to pick out 12 more.

I paid for 10 sheets and got 2 free as I had bought a membership, plusmy cd. The cd was important for my son, to put on his laptop to take with him when he goes to middle east in two weeks.

The employee brings out my pics about 20 minutes later. However she only brought out 1/3 of my order. When I asked about the other pics and cd, she tried to tell me that the 6 sheets I paid 18.00 was part of that. When I explained 3 times that I should have a total of 20 pics and a cd she went in the back and came out and said she wasn't sure where the rest was and no computer available to pick out more poses. So I had to either wait or pick out duplicates of the ho hum pics I already had. So I chose to get more of my sons and granddaughter.

At this point my 4 yr old granddaughter was tired of waiting in an overcrowded, overheated store. We had promised her a visit to Santa. My sons went down to visit santa while we waited for the pics that were supposed to take 5 minutes. 30 minutes later when I asked I was told they would be right out.

45 minutes later no pics, again I asked where they were.

Printer broke, waiting on repairman. I informed them I could not wait anylonger I had things to do. Was told to come back today [dec 24] I said it was not possible. The employee said I could come back another day. I live almost 50 miles away. Gas in our area is 3.10 a gal. They made the mistake and I am supposed to pay for it?????

When I called the home office....... they were rude, unfeeling and uncaring.

Said I could have a reshoot done. I am to hope another employee will know what they are doing????!

My son ships out in 2 weeks. Will be gone 16 months. He does not have time for another shoot. They want me to take time away from him and go down for another shoot. Not how I want to spend what time he has left.

Basically I was told tough sh!t......for their mistake.

DO NOT USE THIS PLACE if you want good quality pics and service.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/24/2010 12:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/the-picture-people/fort-wayne-Indiana-46805/the-picture-people-worst-picture-experience-EVER-fort-wayne-Indiana-674991. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on the picture people

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Sorry for your experience...

AUTHOR: Katie - (United States of America)

As someone who has worked for the company and been through four holiday seasons there your experience sounds like a very typical one. I've witnessed it as an employee and I've had the experience as a customer after I stopped working there. I'd like to offer some insight as to what goes on from an ex-employee's perspective.

The staff for the holidays is usually hired in the month or two before the season starts, usually giving them 4-6 weeks of training. The one I worked at was mostly college students that just needed a job or someone who was ok with temporary work. Most didn't know what they were signing up for.

The photographers get one break depending on their shift length. When I was a photographer there were days I never got a break because appointments would get so backed up. Most days they spend their entire shift in the camera room. They have 20 minutes to get 18 poses no matter what size the group is or how the kids are acting. The entire appointment is supposed to last an hour but most take longer. I always felt that the company has unrealistic expectations of their customers.

The use of the black background or white background in those instances would have been right in the photographer's eyes because she was probably taught to do it that way. I remember the concept of color harmony being taught. This means that you photograph a light shirt on white and a dark one on black, it makes one focus on the person's face and not their shirt. Picture People doesn't really use anything other than solid backgrounds. As for the not using props, that stands out to me because we always used props...especially at Christmas!

The company changed a lot of their collections so I'm not sure about the printing issues. You said you had a coupon and then picked out more. Was it a collection? Coupons & collections couldn't be combined while I worked there. The only thing I can think is that the employee didn't explain what you were getting. I always went over in detail what a customer was getting after they had picked everything out.

The solution to the issue by corporate sounds like the typical one as well. Did they offer you a coupon for a future visit when you said a reshoot wasn't possible? I know in your case the reshoot wasn't a possibility but the reshoots are often handled by a manager and are usually much, much better than the original session.

My suggestions to anyone that reads this:
Go for holiday pictures early, the holiday season really kicks off mid-November and from there the place is a mad-house!

Get the first appointment of the day if possible. The employees are often at their best because they haven't been stuck in a camera room all day.

If you are going before they get super busy ask for a manager to photograph your session. They're usually the most experienced photographers in the place. After the holiday season really starts they can't really get into a camera room because they're running around trying to keep everyone else on track.

In closing I just want to say that I loved working there and I hated working there. I'm sorry you had a bad experience for something that is supposed to be so special..... And I thank your son for his service to our country.