Complaint Review: thebigword

• Updated: Thu, September 27, 2012

• Reported By: CG — Beverly Hills California United States of America
thebigword
20 Broad Street, Floor 27 Internet United States of America

thebigword thebigword.com Warning! Fraudulent business practices New York, Internet

*Author of original report: Update

*UPDATE Employee: Issues Solved!

*Author of original report: "Quick" response

*UPDATE Employee: Response from thebigword

I've worked on a few projects for this company. After sending the invoice, I haven't heard from the company for over six months! The company just "disappeared", despite my numerous attempts to contact the office by e-mail and phone.

There are number of complaints posted by translators and employees of the very same company on various websites regarding the issue in question. thebigword was banned from posting job notifications on several websites due to the "chronic" non-payments and complaints about the conduct. Furthermore, I've been contacted many times by the same company requesting my services. After I declined to work with this company and asked to remove my information from their system, I keep receiving calls from unknown numbers - the company's operators connect me directly to the clients in different countries without even announcing the name of the company or stating the nature of the call. Each time I have to ask the clients which company the call has been placed through, and each time I have to explain that I do not work for this particular company. I find such business practices to be unprofessional and unfair, to say the least. Before accepting any jobs from the said company, check posts about it and make sure that they will not rip you off like many  translators who have been taken advantage of and cheated by this "bigword"!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/10/2012 06:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/thebigword/internet/thebigword-thebigwordcom-Warning-Fraudulent-business-practices-New-York-Internet-939276. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on thebigword

Update

AUTHOR: CG - (United States of America)

I guess you got lucky.
Big "surprise" - I still did not receive a payment and "TheBig" one disappeared on me again.
I was contacted once right after I posted the report, got a bunch of promises to solve the issue but, as expected, nothing happened since then. Maybe the team is too Big to do the job. Anyway Id rather rely on collection agency and Department of Labor.

Issues Solved!

AUTHOR: puffphish - (United States of America)

I have worked with thebigword on numerous occasions but I recently had a couple of issues that did need addressing regarding underpayment.  I made the team at thebigword aware of these problems and I thought they dealt with them very professionally and efficiently and that my skills as an interpreter are genuinely valued. After the professionalism they showed in dealing with my problem I would definitely recommend thebigword to other interpreters. If anybody has any issues and would like them resolved the best person to contact is Alison Westwood (Alison.Westwood@thebigword.com) as she will ensure your problem is dealt with straight away.

"Quick" response

AUTHOR: CG - (United States of America)

How peculiar that I've been contacted today by one of your employees. Apparently, your company is well aware all along about the issue in question even though I did not mention my name in the report. On the other hand, it is good to finally find out the name of the responsible person as yourself, I have not succeeded to do so through the numerous regular e-mails and other means of communication. For you information, this is not a single incident, this is already a third occurrence just in my case. If you are not aware of the ongoing non-payment problem, you should check, for instance, translatorscafe.com or just Google the name of your company. As to priorities, I am among many other translators who are not considered as a priority by your company. It seems that you have very selective approach.  I believe that you, as well as other employees of your company, get paid without wasting valuable time for months on requests. At any rate, your company might be big but its business practices and reputation do not live up to its size.

Response from thebigword

AUTHOR: thebigword - (United States of America)

As the Global Head of Linguist Recruitment for thebigword I would firstly like to say how sorry I am on behalf of the organisation if you have had issues with receiving payment for us. I can assure you that timely and accurate payment of our linguists is a priority to us and any issues regarding such matters are taken extremely seriously. It is difficult for me to look into the issues that you have raised without knowing your identity and as your post is anonymous I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me directly so that I can look into your situation, my e-mail address is alison.westwood@thebigword.com. I will contact you to discuss and hopefully resolve this immediately. To answer some of your points I can assure you that thebigword has not disappeared, we are one of the top 13 language service providers globally and continue to grow as one of the major providers of both translation and interpreting work to the professional linguist community. I can assure you that we have not been "banned" from posting job notifications, we have a strong relationship with many of the large linguist communities and as an example we are presenting and exhibiting at the ProZ on-line conference in September. I would really like to look into the issues that you have had re continuing to get offers of work from us, should you not wish to work with us again I will respect that and will ensure that your details are removed from our database, however in order to do this I will need to know who you are, and as such I really hope that you will contact me. I look forward to being able to post our resolution to your issues and I  also be encourage any linguists who have any issues, however small or large with thebigword to contact me directly at the above email address.