Complaint Review: Titlemax

• Submitted: Tue, March 01, 2011
  • Updated: Wed, June 08, 2011

• Reported By: Jeremy — Russellville Kentucky U.S.A.
Titlemax

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Third party Disclosure

*General Comment: doubter

*Consumer Comment: Lawsuit?

*Consumer Comment: Trust?

I took out a loan w/ Titlemax September of 2010 to because I was behind on some bills.  I went down there and took out a loan.  The fees included in the fianace were outrageous and out of this world.

I had made all of my payments on time until I got laid off in January due to lay off status.  That's when the trouble with these guys started.  They started harrassing my former employers and all of my references.  By law, these guys violated that by harrassing them.

Then about a few weeks ago, I got several hateful voicemails on my cell phone stating that they will get very legal with me.  The guy that left these voicemails was Robbie.  He was very rude and DECEITFUL like the folks at Titlemax.

Then over the weekend, I tried to reason with them and they wanted the full amount.  Again, Mario at Titlemax (Springfield) got hateful with me then and had his boys come and get my vehicle. I tried to tell them that my father was in bad shape and I needed my vehicle but Mario was rude and the #$$$$$# hung up on me. To me, that was unprofessional on his part and he should be FIRED for his actions.

As for Mario at Titlemax in Springfield, start looking for another job!!!!!!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/01/2011 08:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Titlemax/Springfield-Tennessee-/Titlemax-Mario-Dont-Trust-These-Guys-Springfield-Tennessee-701164. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Titlemax

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Learn FDCPA Laws

AUTHOR: briana riche - (U.S.A.)

The FDCPA law including revision of 2006 are for collection agencies (3 parties). Titlemax is not a collection agency and own the debt they are collecting. Also it is not harrasment per the FDCPA to call your relatives, work or neighbors to get a message to you unless that person ask them not to call (not you but the person they called). What does your father have anything to do with this also, you took out a secured loan with your vehicle, did not pay, then by law they repo it, that simple!!

Really?

AUTHOR: Storm - (U.S.A.)

You took out a loan then were unable to pay it.

"Then about a few weeks ago, I got several hateful voicemails on my cell phone stating that they will get very legal with me."
Several weeks? You were several WEEKS late on a 30-day  PAWN loan? And you're complaining.

When your electric bill is due in the month of April, does the electric company let you pay that April bill in June?
If you pawn a a TV at a pawn shop, do you get a couple months to redeem the TV?
No is the correct answer for both questions.
The electric company will turn off your power unless you can come to a payment arrangement with them. Pretty sure if you stomp into their office after being SEVERAL weeks past due on the due & showing your butt, the electric company won't work with you either.

You obviously didn't return any of their calls since your refs were called.
Which law did they break by calling the personal references that YOU wrote down?!
What did they violate exactly? How did they get the names and phone numbers of those people unless YOU gave them that info.

While their fees may be high, people need to remember that they do not do your loan based on your credit score. And if you paid your bills on time, then you should have no trouble going to a bank to get a loan with lower interest rates.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Third party Disclosure

AUTHOR: Moe - (United States of America)

Don't waste money you don't have obviously on a lawsuit, but its sounds like they might have broken FDCPA laws by leaving threatening voicemails that a another person could hear its called "third party disclosure" and is an illegal collection practice. If you still have your voicemails and they are discussing your personal business on them(voicemails) contact their corporate office with them, after all even Titlamax has rules they have to adhere to. Peole who get collections calls need to know there are laws so look online at the FDCPA laws and see if any or all violated.

#4 General Comment

doubter

AUTHOR: Nate Fox - (United States of America)

I am pretty sure I was there at the store that day makeing a payment and I heard and saw it.  Sorry you lost your job but you were the one in the wrong and you were the one acting like a upset child.  Get your self together sir I get they are a business and helped me in trouble times like you admitted yourself they did.  You did not pay.  Sorry but you are not special and if you do not live up your end of the bargain thats your fault.  If i can not pay I will understad that things will have to happen that hurts me but it is my fault.  I guess I an just man enough to do so.  The guys there seem like honest guys to me.  I know they are laughing about your threats the jokes they must be makeing are hilarious.  Good luck with that

Lawsuit?

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

The fees included in the fianace were outrageous and out of this world."

Of course they were.  These title loans are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to lenders.   They make high risk loans to people who are not eligible to borrow from traditional sources.  High risk = high fees.  Apparently the fees were not outrageous enough for you to decline the loan.

They started harrassing my former employers and all of my references.  By law, these guys violated that by harrassing them."

Why do you think they asked you for these references in the first place?  Part of their business model is aggressive collection tactics because a large percentage of borrowers do not pay their loans as promised.   Which law did they violate?

I am going to explore options as to how to start a lawsuit with these people and make sure that they are put out of business."

From what I can tell from your post, you took out a high interest loan against your vehicle.  You then defaulted on the loan and they reposessed your vehicle.   I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what you would be suing them for.   For being rude?  Good luck with that.

Trust?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

YOU made a legal agreement with them that if they loaned you the money you would make set payments ON-TIME for the length of the agreement.  So they TRUSTED you and you failed to complete your legal obligation.  So who broke who's trust?

When you got the loan you used the vehicle's title as collateral in case you didn't pay.  As such they have every legal right to repossess the car if you fail to make the payments.  There was nothing in that agreement that said you only had to pay if you could.

- Why didn't you explore options to actually meet your legal obligation?   You have every right to try and sue them if you want to throw away more money.  However, think about this as well.  If even after they sold the car you still have a balance owed on the loan they will just turn around and sue you for the difference.  Do I really need to tell you who will prevail in that case?

Now look these places are as bad as Payday lenders.  But you knew going in that the fees were outragous and you still got the loan.  You knew that they held your vehicles title as collateral and you still did it.

If they were out of business what would you have done?  Why didn't you do that instead?