Complaint Review: tlc k9 academy

• Updated: Tue, November 20, 2012

• Reported By: Mike — Phoenix Arizona United States of America
tlc k9 academy
22252 n 22nd place phoenix, Arizona United States of America

tlc k9 academy Complete waste of money! Hire them if you want poor communication and zero results! phoenix, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: One trick Pony can't learn new tricks...

*Consumer Comment: you know what's funny?

*Consumer Comment: We Love Bill and TLC K9 Academy and would refer them to anyone without hesitation.

*Consumer Comment: TLC K9 misrepresented themselves and admitted it. And did not fullfill obligations

*Consumer Comment: A very satisfied client! They get an A+

*Consumer Comment: Nothing like what we experienced?

*Consumer Comment: Words from a "no longer interested" Consumer

*Consumer Comment: I am Mikes wife and fellow client/dog owner

*Author of original report: what a joke

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: THis Poster is a Total Liar

First of all, I did check the internet. I found this site and Bill Glaxtell told me that they were competitors and their associates trying to spread lies about his business. I felt that it was possible so I hired him based on his website. Hos website I especially liked the idea of the lifetime guarantee.

I want to state that I am a client of Bill's. I am not affiliated with any training organization. I paid bill $3995 to take my dog into his home for 6-8 weeks and to housebreak my dog, teach him not to be destructive in my home and not to jump on people. That was it. My Doberman pup is a high energy dog bred for working lines and protection. I have had several of these dogs in my life. I gave him to Bill at 6 months of age.  I had to pursue them for updates. Bill's cell phone is constantly full--  you cannot leave a message. You have to leave messages with an answering service and they call you back. I got 2 updates that I pursued or else I would ahve heard nothing.  The updates were positive--- They did say that the time that he was high energy and he was going to be a challenge, I already knew that though-- that is why I hired a trainer. I paid top dollar instead of hiring a trainer for half the price.

After one month Bill calls me up and says that my dog had attacked him for no reason. He went on and on about how vicious and unsafe my 7 month old pup was.  This was all of a sudden out of nowhere.  It took him one month to come up with this diagnosis!  He states that all he did was positive and GENTLE reinforcement on the dog. He says in his opinion my pup needs Prozac and needs to be castrated. He also writes to the breeder that I got him from and complaining about my dog.   What is interesting is that I paid him to train my dog, not to give me a behavioral diagnosis. He told me that he had not worked my dog in 2 days!  Why did he not call me immediately?

Needless to say I found this VERY hard to believe. I thought it over and the very next morning I decided I would get my dog back and get a 2nd opinion. I started calling and texting. It took him 4 hours to respond. He then started going on and on about how horrible my dog was again. I had to interrupt him and tell him that I understand, but that it was no longer his problem. I had to drive one hour north, he was 15 minutes late. He had another person with him that was smoking in the van. Obviously he is not concerned with animal's health. They had him strapped in like Hannibal Lecter.  They would not release him to me without signing a waiver that states that in their opinion the dog is dangerous.  The dog smelled like he had been living in a crate filled with urine and feces, he was extremely skinny, and he was VERY excited to get away from this person. There were suspicious marks on his neck and head.

The dog tried to sit on my lap the whole way home, he licked me constantly. I had to have him professionally groomed immediately.  I took him to my vet and in my vet's opinion he is an energetic high energy 7 month old pup. He has been ariound many people and my children since and everyone loves him.

I personally feel that this company signs up as many clients as possible and gets overwhelmed at times. They probably do train some dogs, but the difficult ones obviously slow them down from making money so they find reasons not to properly train the dogs. Where is the guaranteed training?  The website stated they are experts in all dogs, especially aggressive dogs.  How can my 7 month old baby be too much for this expert to handle?  He stated that he would not work this dog without a full bite suit and mask! I laughed.  I have been around working dogs my whole life and my dog is not anything like he described. My breeder told me that he was in a Schutzund club with Bill Glaxtell in the Phoenix area and the supposed expert basically flunked out. He knows nothing about working dogs. he is probably great with Maltese and Chihuahuas though.

I paid this company $3995 for the training, they kept my food storage conatiner that I asked him to bring 3 times and he did not, plus I had to pay for a grooming appt.

I am out $4110.00 and I have nothing from this company except for a piece of paper saying my  dog is dangerous. That is one very expensive piece of paper. I have not gotten an apology, I have not been offered a refund---  not a discount--nothing.  How can companies like this take advantage of people? How can they take our hard-earned money and not deliver on the service?

I would highly recommend not using this company. They are over-priced, unethical, rude, and they have the worst customer service that I have ever seen.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/15/2011 10:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/tlc-k9-academy/phoenix-Arizona-85024/tlc-k9-academy-Complete-waste-of-money-Hire-them-if-you-want-poor-communication-and-zero-777115. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on tlc k9 academy

One trick Pony can't learn new tricks...

AUTHOR: Oh_Danny_Boy - ()

I'm an ex-client of Bill Glatzel's from 2011.

I contacted TLC K9 based upon their website and (strategic) verbiage used in google results.

Bill came to my home and did a consult.  The problem I was trying to solve at the time was miniscule in nature (simple obedience training - prolonged stay, come under distraction, etc).  Certainly not easy, but simple enough for a Harvard trained behaviorist and dog trainer.

Bill immediately asked me to purchase a stim collar (shock collar) for each dog.  He walked through a plan of how to provide enough "discomfort" to push the dog to be highly motivated to figure out and do what I was asking of it.  I was highly skeptical, having read many horror stories about the use of stim collars in lieu of natural motivation, but I was naive and his website said "Harvard".  If only I knew then what I know now...

I placed a high value on these behaviors and wanted to learn myself exactly how to walk through this process, so I paid Bill a significant sum (this was several years ago, it was at least $2k + the cost of the stim collar, but I won't quote an exact figure).  This was supposed to be 6 sessions worth of training, plus a guarantee of follow-up if there was any regression in behavior, or a new problem arose.

During the first session, Bill controlled the stim collar, showed me how to identify "just the right amount of electrical stimulation to make it uncomfortable" and walked through a few exercises that did, indeed speed up my dogs responses to already trained behaviors (sit, down, come, up, speak, etc).

Bill left, and I was given a plan of behaviors and time requirements for training and exercise.  No problem.

I followed Bill's guidelines to a "T" for 6 days.  On the 6th day, my dogs got into a fairly severe dog fight.  Until this point, they had been quite literally the best of friends.  They were constantly together.  If one went inside, the other followed, and vice-versa.  The horror stories I had read about stim collars were coming true right before my very eyes, and I was the only one to blame.  I called Bill that day, and received a call back the following day.  Not that it mattered, I was at the vet's office getting my smaller, female GSP stitched up.

When I finally talked to Bill, he told me to keep up with the training, and he'd be back at our already scheduled appointment (7 days later).  I didn't, and never will again put a stim collar on a dog.

I tell you that story to tell you this one.

The day Bill came back, he told me to take my dog to the vet and demand they prescribe prozac.  (sound familiar to these other stories?).  I asked him for some other options.  He wanted me to put the stim collar on and see how the dogs react with me.  I laughed and told him no, that option is no longer on the table.  As a trainer, the stim collar is his primary play, prozac is his second play, and then belittling, name-calling and ignoring, while refusing refunds is his final play.  BUYER BEWARE

I'm not saying that a stim collar can't work.  I've since done significant research, worked with a few other highly regarded trainers and am happy to say that my dogs are back to being the best of friends.  They're not perfect, we still work on a prolonged stay and come under distractions, but it's getting much better.  More importantly, we do it with positive reinforcement training, rather than punishment and corrections.

I called several times and asked for a refund.  Even called and asked to schedule another session (I had a total of 2 actual in-person sessions with Bill, each lasted less than an hour, he was late for the second one and left early, and paid over $2000).  His staff always promised to pass along my message, but Bill never seemed to get it.

At this point, I've chalked it up to a bit of a "stupid tax" on my part, and don't hold a personal grudge against Bill.  However, a friend of mine called me today and told me she was calling this company to schedule an appointment for training because her puppy just wouldn't listen.  That eventually brought me here, where I feel obligated to tell my story.

While here, I have read many stories similar to mine.

I've also noticed that the image that bull uploaded is a stock image that can be found - according to google image search - on 93 other websites, the first of which seems to have appeared in 2007.  Is that submitted as proof that this man's dog bit your arm?  Don't be new to the internet, Bill.  People can fact-check your lies.

I won't even begin to discuss Bill's unprofessional and belittling responses.  It's a shame that folks in-need are being preyed upon by this man.

If you're looking for training services and found yourself at Bill's website (tlck9academy.com) and had the foresight to come here, please run as fast as you can.  There are many trainers in the phoenix area that offer a much higher-quality service with better, more lasting results.

you know what's funny?

AUTHOR: back-back-again-ohyes - (United States of America)

he has people come to "defend him".. if he's not doing anything wrong, why does he need defense?

i suspect good reviews come from badgered employees, since the sheer amount of negative reviews speaks for itself.

AUTHOR: mlipps - (United States of America)

The complaints don't sound right.  Bill will work with a dog as long as it is needed. In January, we rescued an 8 month old Queensland Heeler, Sooky. We discovered after a month that she suffered from very aggressive behaviors, constantly going after our other dog and my husband. She dragged me on walks and obviously had no prior training or housebreaking. I took her to Pet Smart, and she flunked puppies 101...?We knew we needed real help and I contacted TLC K9. We decided to send
her to boot camp, and since she was showing real aggression, Bill Glatzel, an animal behaviorist, would keep her at his home. She was signed up for 4 weeks, but stayed for 7, because Bill guarantees his work 100%! He doesn't send a dog
home until it is ready. And best of all, you can continue with obedience classes on the weekend, run by Bill.?I can say that in many ways, Bill saved her life. He turned an aggressive, high energy dog into a wonderful companion.

Best of all...all the aggression is gone. My husband is more concerned about getting licked to death, then mauled. I have no fear with any interactions with people, kids, or other dogs. The wonderful thing about this training is...Sooky
is still Sooky...but she is version 2.0.... The best Sooky she can be!

AUTHOR: Tara - (United States of America)

We spoke with our breeder as did Bill. Bill admitted he had no experience with worker dogs even though he advertised as such. My husband has had several high quality Dobermans and follow up with training is not at all the issue in this case. He is a manager for a career and is very good at it (ask our kids) Bill advertised and represented himself in a manner that led us to believe he would be able to train our puppy to be house broken and good with young children and small dogs we paid top dollar, $1000 per week.We recieved a letter stating our dog is unsuitable for training despite the fact that we had him at a larger facility with absolutely no problems in fact only compliments from the staff. We sent him to TLC just for more individualized training as I stated previously. We were told going into agreement with Bill that we would get our money back if we are dissatisfied. We have yet to see a dime and he never returned the items that accompanyied our pup worth approx. $100. In summation, we are out $4000, we never recieved our dogs personal effects, my husband was attacked on a personal level with unvalidated lies by Bill. This man did not practice honestly or professionally when dealing with our family.

A very satisfied client! They get an A+

AUTHOR: Tammy - (United States of America)

Just for the record, I received a call yesterday from the owner of TLC K9 asking me to come to this site and share my experience i had with them.  I am happy to do so, as I have put up my testimonial on several websites in the past.  My dog "Chase" used to be very aggressive and also aggressive to my children.  To date my dog is still great and aggression free today.  I had a very good experience with Bill, TLC k9 and his services, and  have recommended them to several friends of mine, three to be exact.  Two of my friends have had great results, and one has had poor results, but to be honest the friend with poor results I can attest to has not followed the training program, and I never saw her attend any of the group classes after her private lessons.

Since my dog 'Chase' started the program he has shown vast improvement in obedience and tolerance. Previously he was a very stubborn animal that only partly obeyed commands and he was very aggressive with people and other animals in regards to food and toys. At the 2nd visit I was truly amazed at the difference in 'Chase' and how we were able to take him off the leash in a park and not have him run off and do his own thing. Because of his apprehension and aggression, the TLC K9 Behaviorist suggested we also try a low dose of Prozac, and he responded very well to it. It definitely lowered his apprehension and he has not bitten anyone or engaged in aggressive behavior as he did before. I highly recommend TLC K9 Academy. The trainers care, they are honest and they really want to help your dog be part of the family.

Nothing like what we experienced?

AUTHOR: Mellissa73 - (United States of America)

We had a very positive experience with bill and TLC K9.  But I will say if the owners don't follow up with what the trainers tell you, just like anything else it won't work.  After reading all the negative posts, I am surprised, because I had a completely positive experience and Bill and his staff were extremely professional, caring, and experts at what they do. Before we hired TLC K9 ACADEMY, we thought our only option was to put down our dog because of his severe aggression towards people and other dogs. We could not even walk Kaiser, our German Shepard, or have him around any people or dogs. He would lunge, go after and attack. Now after training with TLC K9 ACADEMY, Kaiser can be around people and dogs with no more aggression. Dogs and even kids can sit and lay next to Kaiser now after the training. Kaiser even listens and is very obedient under very heavy distractions. We thought our only option was to put our dog down. Now after training with TLC K9 ACADEMY we know we can keep and love our dog Kaiser.  It can be a very emotional thing having to deal with an aggressive dog that you love.  My husband and I thought we would have to give up our dog.  We don't have children, but If I did, I may have chosen not to keep our dog.  It sounds like Bill was looking out for the best interest of the owners children from what i can read.  The unflattering comments about bill don't read like the individual and experience i had with TLC K9 and the owner of the company.  I would highly recommend them based on my personal experience.

Words from a "no longer interested" Consumer

AUTHOR: 2kids2dogsmakes4 - (United States of America)

My husband and I recently adopted an adorable Rotti into our home. He has some chewing, spraying issues and neither of us are experienced in dog training. We have been looking around, interested in hiring a reputable dog training company. I came across the TLC K9 website, and we both liked what we saw, however, I read reviews on everything.

I want to say that I understand that every company has it's complaints, I also believe that every consumer has a right to their own opinion.  In this case, I am completely appalled by the way this owner has handled these complaints. I cannot beleive in which that manner that he is calling every one a LIAR, when they are stating facts on their experience. I have never seen an owner of a company treat his clients this way and I am shocked by this. I understand that he wants to defend his service, but wow, based solely on the lack of professionalism, I hope that no one chooses to use this service.

This company advertises the fact that they can garantee their service for aggressive dogs, and I am very sorry to hear that they could not handle a 7 month old doberman. My rotti is 1 yr and weighs around a 100 lbs, I can't imagine what this company would say about my dog.

Yes, I am not a current client or affiliated with these people in the comments, but I couldn't help but respond. I was very sadened to read "I hope I dont have to come to your child's funeral" or "you are a LIAR." This is going way to far and is absolutely uncalled for. I believe he even mentioned his client to be a "coward". This is awful for a business owner to act like this.

I have taken the time to read other reports and both sides of the stories. The owner of this company is in no means to sue these people and before he threatens to sue me, I have copy and pasted the Rip Off Report posting guidelines, incase they forgot to read it. :)

BTW the website claims that they can train ANY dog at a 100% guarantee. After these reports, I doubt it and I am happy that I took the time to read BOTH sides of the story.

If you represent the company or person who is the subject of the report, your rebuttal CAN include the following:

Your side of the story;
Positive references showing that you have a good reputation;
An explanation that you believe the report is not accurate in some way (PLEASE BE SPECIFIC If you think the report is a hoax, please say so and demand that the author provide some proof that the transaction/event really happened);
Contact information for people to reach you if they want more information;
Any other useful information which you believe an interested reader needs to know about you or your business.
If you are a consumer who has something to say about the person or company reported, your rebuttal CAN include the following:

Comments explaining any similar experience(s) you have had with this person or company;
Information which you believe supports or contradicts the complaint described in the report;
Any other useful information which you believe an interested reader needs to know about the person or business described in the report.

Please note that rebuttals should NOT contain any of the following:

Profanity, obscenity, threats of violence, racist remarks, false statements, personal information (i.e., social security numbers, credit card numbers, home address(es) or phone numbers), or any other information which violates Ripoff Report's Terms of Service;
Rumors, speculation, or innuendo unless you have personal knowledge that your statements are true;
Trivial comments (i.e., Nice report!) which do not add anything useful to the discussion.

I am Mikes wife and fellow client/dog owner

AUTHOR: Tara - (United States of America)

How many 'Liars" will there be before it is realized that TLC K9 recieves poor reviews because of its poor service. Our dog is not at all vicious. He is absolutely loving and gentle. He licks my 10 month old baby, and plays with our 10 year old, 6 yr old and their friends. We we just looking for basic house breaking for our puppy and what we recieved an entire month later is a call saying they will no longer train our dog because he is furocious. He is not at all agressive, he is a 7 month old puppy that is loved and completely loving with our family. Thank goodness my husband did not listen to this 'expert' opinion or we would have given our dog away. I have contacted my family and friends and other outlets to get the word out about TLC K9 so other familys dont have to go through the same ordeal and waste their hard earned money on top of it. Further more, I have a VERY hard time believing that the picture of a bloody arm is a result of our puppy as I have never seen Capone act aggressive and the TLC K9 website has several similar pictures suggesting that they are able to train very vicious dogs. That advertising in itself is proven false as our family dog was unable to be trained properly by them and he is anything but vicious. Personal attacks on my husband are uncalled for as he has every right to speak of his opinion about the service he recieved and he is absolutely correct in his statement as witnessed by myself and our friends and family. Lastly, I find it in very poor taste that TLC K9 would attempt to manipulate us by using our concern for our children as a way to get out of training our dog. We are very concerned about the welfare of our children and were willing to give away our dog because of a lie we almost believed.

what a joke

AUTHOR: Capone 2011 - (United States of America)

Coward, huh.  You are funny. And you would never be near my family for anything, let alone a funeral.  You said you woudl keep working the dog if you had a full bite suit and if I castrated the 7 month old pup an dput him on Prozac. I never lie, and I certainly not afraid of your lawyer... what a joke. I guarantee  that I have lawyers as well, and this is just getting started. I would not ever let you anywhere near an animal again.  You are so concerened about my family that you take hard earned money off the table.  The amateur and misspelled letter that you wrote, was handed to me to sign before you gave me my dog.

I am amazed that a little whimp runt like you would dare call me a coward, but then again you hide behind a computer.   To all who read this.... contact me directly...  I never lie and this is the absolute truth. This broke loser threatens you with lawyers and he drives a 38 cent van.  Complete joke.

#10 REBUTTAL Owner of company

THis Poster is a Total Liar

AUTHOR: Bill - (United States of America)

MIKE YOU ARE A LIAR, AND THIS ONE IS GOING TO MY LAWYER.  READ BELOW CONSUMERS TO SEE WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.  AND I TRIED TO SAVE THE LIFE OF THIS MANS KIDS FROM POSSIBLY BEING ATTACKED.  WHAT A JERK AND A GUY IN TOTAL DENIAL.  HOPE I DONT HAVE TO COME TO YOUR KIDS FUNERAL.  I ALSO SAID I WOULD KEEP WORKING WITH YOU AND YOUR DOG, IF YOU REFUSED TO REHOME THE DOG  BUT YOU CANCELED YOUR CONTRACT AND TOOK YOUR DOG BACK IN A HASTE OF DENIAL.  YOU COMPLAINED ABOUT YOUR LAST TRAINER TOO.  YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO KEEP UP WITH ANY TRAINING.  As for most of your statements I will talk to Steve, because I was never a member of any Schutzhound club and never kicked out.  But thanks for slandering me and not telling the facts

THIS LETTER POSTED BELOW WAS GIVIN TO THIS COWARD OF A MAN, AND A SIGNED COPY IS IN OUR RECORDS.

September 10,th 2011

Waiver of  Liability

To Mike Cook, Owner of Capone a intact male Doberman approximately 12 months old.

This waiver of liability is to restate what I had discussed with you over the phone.  Capone was bread by Steve Parsons in Utah.   Capone was specifically bread to be one of the best attack/working/Shutzhound dog.  There is no doubt this dog was bread to do this and was not bread as a family dog, and family dog temperament is not what this dog was bread for.

You have an infant and two small children in your home.  In my opinion your children are potentially in danger if they have contact with Capone, Capone is potentially dangerous as evidenced by his unprovoked attach of myself where I obtained in excess of twelve puncture wounds.  Capone wanted to attack and bite my face as well.

Capone has also shown ritualistic and obsessive-compulsive behavior as evidenced by extreme hoarding of physical items that he drags into his crate for his to own and protect to include a 4-foot rake.

He also has been seen pacing and circling another indication of obsessive compulsive and ritualistic behavior.  Capone also chewed through a wall in attempts to get outside one evening when his dog door was closed.

I believe Capone has a possible Neurochemical imbalance, and also that as a result of this and strong genetic predisposition and breed/trait specific breeding practices, he is not appropriate to be a family dog.  In my opinion it is not a matter of if he will bite someone inappropriately, it is only a matter of when.  Again I can not stress enough that this dog was not bread for temperament and not bread for a family dog, but a working dog with strong bloodlines of bite work developed dogs.

It is this Harvard Trained Animal Behaviorists opinion that he should not have any contact with children and should be muzzled.  It is my opinion that the only best place for Capone is to be placed back with his breeder, Steve Parsons.

I have very strong concern that your dog have NO CONTACT WITH ANY CHILDREN OR STRANGERS AND BE RE-HOMED WITH STEVE PARSONS ASAP.  Capone is a potential danger to others and the safety of others cannot be guaranteed.

Making an appointment with Dr. Kelly Moffit DVM (Board Certified Veterinarian Behaviorist could be made if you want a second medical/expert opinion, and this letter should accompany any visit to her.

Client Signature: ___________________________________________________________