Complaint Review: TLC Performance

• Updated: Tue, April 01, 2014

• Reported By: Land Cruiser FJ-40 — Cleveland Ohio
TLC Performance
889 Layne Drive NE Lancaster, Ohio USA

TLC Performance Jim Chenoweth FJ40Jim Toyota Land Cruiser repair shop charged me for work not done, FRAUD Lancaster Ohio

I bought my 1st vintage vehicle a 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40.  I needed some repair and up-grade work.  I found a shop specializing in this vehicle from the web blog IH8MUD.com.  TLC Performance owned by Jim Chenoweth was recommended by his friends on that blog.  I took my vehicle to him and was shocked on how his place of business appeared. Tools and junk everywhere, basically a back yard mechanic working out of his home and yard. He is a one man show, not the "shop" that was advertised. I had gut reservations, but we discussed a plan for my vehicle and I left it with him.

Jim Chenoweth was very negative and kept telling me how his work is better than any other Land Cruiser shop. I thought of him as very insecure, but tried not to be judgemental and give him a chance. Mechanic types sometimes have personality pitfalls, but again I wanted to give him a chance.

I told Jim my budget was $10,000 for work done. He agreed, I left and drove home several hours away. I'll try not to bore everyone with all the details. Long story short, he demanded the money up-front because he does not have the funds to buy parts. BIG MISTAKE  He did about 1/8 of the work he promised, then demanded more money. I took my vehicle out of his shop and to a Toyota dealer repair shop.  Toyota told me Jim did about $1000 worth of parts and work to my vehicle, which Toyota had to take apart and install correctly.  Jim was very confrontational, called me a cheap skate and many other names.

I lost $10,000 on this deal, but learned alot. Don't deal with a backyard mechanic and pay up-front.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/01/2014 11:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TLC-Performance/Lancaster-Ohio-43130/TLC-Performance-Jim-Chenoweth-FJ40Jim-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-repair-shop-charged-me-for-work-1135388. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TLC Performance