Complaint Review: TMC Restoration

TMC Restoration Total Master Craftsman Destroys Antiques in Brampton , Ontario

*Consumer Comment: Note To Actual Employee

*UPDATE Employee: Company Response

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: TMC REPORT

I am heartbroken and angry as a result of a horrible experience with TMC.

After we signed the contract and they took my furniture, they called at least twice to beat more money out of us. Things we were absolutely assured were covered ended up costing us much more money.

The furniture (a buffet) was missing hardware when it was delivered. Someone came to fix it one week late.

The veneer started peeling two months later. They came to take it away, assuring me that everything would be perfect. However, it was returned to me in even worse shape. The peeling is still obvious and nowa piece of the drawer was chipped and "patched" with a piece of wood that doesn't match.

TMC destroyed my heirloom. I am going to try to get my money back.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/10/2010 08:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TMC-Restoration/Brampton-Ontario-/TMC-Restoration-Total-Master-Craftsman-Destroys-Antiques-in-Brampton-Ontario-612514. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TMC Restoration

Note To Actual Employee

AUTHOR: tfeb - (Canada)

It may well be that what you say of TMC and how it handles its employees and business is true.  I will never find out.
Having had to nearly call the police in order to get one of the salesmen who did not seem to understand the phrase "we are not interested" and then refused to leave out of our house I will most definitely never recommend anyone call for even an estimate.
My husband was a Toronto cop for over 30 years.  Nothing makes him angry. Ever. But when the salesman repeatedly refused to leave and then insisted he had to call TMC from INSIDE our house and was then told "I've asked you to leave my house, please leave now or I will need to remove you" and the salesman had the gaul to threaten us in response to that request -- well, that's a situation that will never be repeated.  Frankly, I'm still upset and wondering if I should have called 911 so a report is on file.  Can you imagine if it was a woman on her own and she got that response?

For the record: if anybody within your home is asked to leave, whether asked to leave politely and repeatedly and refuses to do so, (as this man was) or rudely,you actually do have the right to remove them bodily if necessary.  It should never come to that, especially with a salesman.  Had the salesman made good on his threats and assaulted my husband, regardless of whether he was being moved by the homeowner, the salesman would be charged with and guilty of assault.

An immediate course in how to NOT use a rude, insulting, hard-sell approach as a salesman and WHEN to leave the house might be in order.  It's not an easy job to do but, some are ill suited to deal with the public.

Company Response

AUTHOR: TMC Ombudsman - (Canada)

The content posted by the alleged former employee is factually incorrect. Likely, this posting is the product of a competitor. I say this because as Ontario’s largest full-service complete furniture restoration company, it is not uncommon for competitors in small, service-based industries to use such tactics in an attempt to dissuade potential customers from allowing us to care for their furniture restoration needs, as we have been for over two decades.

TMC Restoration does not enlist the services of sub-contractors to complete the orders of our valued customers. All work – with the exception of specialty piano tuning, glass or metal work - is done in-house as a tour of our facility would reveal. Customer feedback indicates that what matters most is the quality of workmanship applied to the finished product. TMC Restoration has maintained a high standard of quality since 1989. In fact, very few comments actually address the quality of service that TMC Restoration provides. Instead they attack other superficially similar yet disparate internal  procedures.

TMC Restoration does not treat it's employees poorly. Ontario is a very employee-friendly province and it’s Employment Standards Act, 2000, well protects their rights. We have a mechanism in place which allows all employees of TMC Restoration to address any concerns they may have. It must be said that a good number of our employees have happily remained with TMC Restoration for over 10 years.

Clientele of TMC Restoration are never “blackmailed” into doing work with us and this is an egregious misuse of the word which insults the intelligence of our substantial client base. Our clients are mature adults who willingly and comfortably enter an agreement with TMC Restoration. While we do label upholstered furniture items for identification purposes, we do not ‘mark’ or ‘cut’ wooden furniture items which comprise approximately 50% of our work.

To all prospective TMC Restoration clientele: Please be wary of unverified accounts posted on the Internet – especially when the authors of such erroneous reports choose to remain anonymous. Much of it may be embellished and/or fabricated. I invite anyone with doubts about our services or policies to contact me with any questions.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

TMC REPORT

AUTHOR: Dr Who - (Canada)

Being a former employee of TMC I can give you lots of inside information. The company uses scam methods or ( blackmail) to get your furniture by marking it or/and cutting holes in it within the home after a signed contract, which is legal though also makes changing your mind (as you have 10 days to do) hard as your furniture is now marked. Then hooks you for extra money for the (words)( not written) said by the estimator, then they will call you to up sell you the things they said would be done as part of your contract, though not put on the contract. TMC does not do 99% its own work, they send it out to contractors and I also know all the contractors, also estimators names, as well as owner etc. They treat their own staff like shit, with a great turn over, so what would make you think they treat customers any different. I will not give a name, though I do have lots of information, including sales book, customer names, and photos and more.

Any salesman who has to spend hours trying to sell you a deal is nothing more then a con man. Beware.