invited

• Submitted: Sun, March 09, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, June 01, 2008

• Reported By:Edgewood Maryland
Together Dating Service
5850 Waterloo Rd. Suite 120 Columbia, Maryland U.S.A.

Together Dating Service Company defaults contract by failing to deliver matches suitable to my preferences - especially regarding distance. They won't refund. Columbia Maryland

*UPDATE Employee: Final Update

*Author of original report: update

*UPDATE Employee: Please review the facts of Jason's accusations and complaints against Together Dating Service

*Author of original report: UPDATE

First of all this company is deceptive of who they even are. They operate under at least 3 official names and advertise under many others in the greater Baltimore area (cockeysvillesingles.com, reisterstownsingles.com, edgewoodisngles.com, etc...). These advertised websites don't even mention the parent company name which in itself is a violation of law. They are very simple sites that purposely have no information so you get lured into their office for the pitch.

On to my story. Before realizing what I mentioned above I signed up in 11/06 for a "xmas special" $3800 plan that would give me 15 referrals with no time limit. I took their compatability assessment tests and was then given great promises of my future dating life. Did I mention that they first made me wait 45 minutes even though I had an appointment. I guess I truly was at the love "doctors" office.

Currently I have been sent 13 of my 15 referrals. I have only met with three of them. Several didn't return my call, one was only 22 (I'm 32) and most were in the Annapolis-DC-Virginia area which was outside of my specified range. One referral even lived in Columbus, OH!

I complained early on about the distances and was informed that the 30 mile preference I set up during consultation was really 30 minutes and that would be in addition to whatever the match would be willing to travel. I'd like to meet the person who can get from North Baltimore to DC in 30 minutes. Have these people ever even been on the beltway at 5:00? Even with that I had no intention of driving an hour to go to someones house if a relationship formed. I had to argue with the rep to get this lowered. They said it would reduce my frequency of referrals (what - they have no members in Baltimore? Not according to the sales pitch). I argued that this was not a problem since my membership had no time limit. Eventually he gave in. The next two referrals were significantly closer but then the problem returned.

The last referral I never called because I was in the process of fighting the charge though my credit card company (I did send back the referral letter explaining why). TDS eventually called and yelled at me because the referral called them and said I never called. So they don't read the referrals returned and their policy states both parties can make the first call. So why didn't they yell at her?

The credit card company was unable to reverse the charge so I filed a complaint with the Attorney Generals office seeking a pro-rated refund since I felt 3 of my 13 referrals were ok. TDS's response was basically that I signed a contract under which they were not obligated to meet my preferences (but isn't that an important part of dating?) and that they would not refund any money but would offer me 6 additional referrals. Apparently they reviewed what was sent to me and felt that 6 were not good referrals. This sounds like an admission of guilt to me. I countered with an offer to pro-rate a refund based on 6 and this too was promptly rejected.

At this point I saw the I-Team investigation on ABC2 News on this very company. This report encouraged me to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Their response to this was the same.

Now I am considering a small-claims suit against them but will also be willing to participate in a class-action as well. Currently I am on 'hold' status with them.

Jason
Edgewood, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/09/2008 04:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Together-Dating-Service/Columbia-Maryland-21045/Together-Dating-Service-Company-defaults-contract-by-failing-to-deliver-matches-suitable-t-316295. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Together Dating Service

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Consult The Rock - (China, People's Republic of)

Yes I agree with what Mr. Jason said. I, too, was surprised by the distance to meet one of the ladies. What really surprised me was that later I signed up with a newspaper that was running one of these boys meet girls in the classified section. Even though this was no-preference, hit and miss meeting of girls from any walk of life, I was surprised that the girls were in general better looking and most had better personalities than the girls that Together Dating Service provided me for a price. It was really insulting that some did not want to meet any body {even though Together provided the name on the list}; some were charismatic tongues speakers and did not want to meet me because I wasn't fabulously wealthy; one was really, really weird and some didn't return my calls. Together did not match
faiths well: e.g, they consider catholic to be the same as christian.

That aside, the by and large reason I am posting is that the companies Together contracts with for debit electronic bank withdrawals are really nefarious and unscrupulous. When I got fed up with Together making not a single good referral, I put a stop payment on the amount with my bank. The bank allowed the nefarious outfit to dock twice as much the following month!! That reveals how limitlessly corrupt all banks are. But for the contracted out firm with Together to not communicate with me and then withdraw twice as much as the agreed amount is STEALING!!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

#3 Consumer Suggestion

#4 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Isma Poulos - (U.S.A.)

Together Dating is pleased to report that the matter regarding Mr. Jason has been resolved and he has chosen to remain an active member with our company.

Director of Operations

update

AUTHOR: Jason - (U.S.A.)

OK the exact charge was $2695. Yes I was a bit off on that. At least I can admit to my mistakes. The charge was also on 12-11-06 which is pretty close to November.

I find it amazing that within one day of this post the company responded. Almost like there monitoring this daily. Now why would they do that if they provide such a quality service?

As far as the response. Judge for yourself.

AUTHOR: Isma Poulos - (U.S.A.)

Together Dating regrets that Mr. Jason feels that he has not been serviced. We have responded to all of Mr. Jason ------ complaints.

Together Dating does not claim that each and every match will be the "right one". We explain to every member that it takes time, patience and realistic expectations to succeed and that it is a "fine tuning" process. We hope that Mr. Jason accepts our offer of an additional 6 referral's. Together does not offer these referrals out of guilt, but rather as a gesture to resolve this matter and assist Mr. Jason in anyway we can in achieving his relationship goals.

Mr. Jason has posted an amount that is far from what he purchased his membership for as well as an incorrect enrollment date. Jason is aware that we are here to work with him and are willing and able to service him.

Below is the latest response we sent in regards to his "counter offer". This response applies to this complaint as well.

Thank you, for your ongoing assistance in the matter with Jason *****, it is greatly appreciated. Together is committed to helping our members achieve all of their relationship goals; we are also committed to our customer's happiness with our service.

We have read Mr. ****** counter-offer. We understand and appreciate his concern and frustration. Please understand that matters of the heart are not tangible purchases nor are there any guarantees. We cannot guarantee that Mr. ***** will like everyone he meets or speaks to, but each introduction is a step in the process of getting to the "Right" one.

We WILL guarantee to do everything we can to help him reach his goals. We WILL guarantee to give him every opportunity available to him. As stated in the previous letter, Mr. ***** chooses to limit his opportunities based on his distance requirements. Mr. ***** views this statement as argumentative yet it is intended to be informative as well as advisable. We would NOT be providing Mr. *****with any customer care if we did not advise him based on the years of knowledge and experience that our staff has to offer.

Ultimately it is Mr. ***** choice to receive, speak with and meet his referrals. Paragraph 5 of the membership agreement clearly states that, The Company may select a referral who most nearly meets the requirements but may not meet all of the preferences of the profile provided by member. Member agrees and understands that once member is sent a referral, such referral shall count towards company's fulfillment to provide the total number of referrals indicated in paragraph (4) regardless of the actions or inactions of member upon the referral.

Mr. *****would like a prorated refund based on referrals he chose not to meet as well as based on referrals he chooses not to receive. If that were possible then our prices would be per referral, but they are not. Mr. ***** purchased a program and a service. Per paragraph (3) once a referral has been sent member is liable for the entire membership fee and no refund is due.

It is the obligation of our matcher makers to select and send the referral; it is up to the members to meet one another. If they choose not to meet or something is said that may cause one party not WANT to meet the other, this in no way can be considered the fault of the company.

Mr. *****has received 12 referrals out of the 15 he purchased. In an effort to resolve his concerns we have decided to only count 6 of the 12, which gives Mr. ***** 9 remaining referrals.

Together will make every attempt to assist Mr. ***** in achieving his relationship goals and finding his special someone as well as provide him with the best customer service possible. We hope that Mr. ***** finds this to be an acceptable resolution. We look forward to resolving this issue.
Mr. *****membership has remained on HOLD status. The Together staff will be more than happy to accommodate Mr. *****. A response by March 26, 2008 would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. If we can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact us.
***/*****/*****, or *******************

Director of Operations

UPDATE

AUTHOR: Jason - (U.S.A.)

Correction - They did not offer six additional referrals. Their offer was only to count 6 of the 13 they had sent me. This would leave me with 9 remaining.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC