- Report: #755045
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Tom Dupuis
Tom Dupuis108 Sedgley Rd., Limerick ME Limerick, Maine United States of America
Tom Dupuis Thomas Dupuis Dishonest, terrible, invasive, and a complete ripoff of a landlord! Limerick, Maine
*General Comment: Update
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
At first, I needed a place to live and I needed one fast. He did all his background reports, followed up with references, and within a week I received a call stating I had the place. He had me meet him at the property around 8:00Pm. I showed up and he had a lease that must have been a good thirty pages. Small writing. His lease is written on a case to case basis so he does not have to return your security deposit when you move out.
The ad I responded to was a 3 bedroom home, on lake arrowhead in N. Waterboro ME. There was no lake in sight. The ad stated it was $800/month; first, last and security to move in. I came with the cash prepared to seal the deal. By the time the deal was sealed he had weasel his way into a 900$/month rent. With an extra 400$ approximate.
1. Through our first meetings and phone calls he agreed to allow my pet. I had to pay an extra 50$/month, no problem. So we were up to $850.00/month and I could have my small dog. Great, no problem.
2. He tells me I have to pay dues to the Lake Arrowhead Association which are 100$/month. I told him it wasn't in the add and I would look for a new place to live. He agreed to pay half of the cost. Ok, so $900.00/month flat fee. Final.
3. He then mentions that I have to pay for the existing oil and existing propane that are left in the tanks. That is where the extra $400.00 comes into play. He told me it was ok to leave the tanks with no oil and propane when I move because I was paying for the existing contents.
He came across as honest, was going to pay half of the Association Dues. I thought, not a bad guy. I was completely wrong. By the time I moved in he had nearly 3,000.00$ in his pocket. I had a daughter on the way and figured he got a nice chunk of change it should be easy going!
8:00Am the morning that the rent was due, the phone would start ringing. If you didn't return his call buy 11:00Am he would be at your door. He had me sign a page stating if the dog made a mess of the carpet a $250.00 rug cleaning fee would be assessed. In the lease it stated he would give the name of a carpet cleaning company and this fee is above and beyond the security. Little did I know it was above and beyond the security because he had no intention of returning the security.
I renewed my lease after 6 months as it didn't include any costs. I stayed another year and saw neighbors come, and go (a property he owned). I wasn't going to let him run me out like he was the people that put up small fortunes next door. After another year living there I decided I wasn't going to renew. I asked, when do I get my security back.
Rightfully so he said 1 week after you move out you will get your security back.
I waited a week and asked if I could come grab the check. He said there was no security left. He had to paint and clean the floors. He also had to add oil and propane. These are all things that are in Maine Law protecting residents from Landlords.
We are pending a case in Civil Court. At our first conference hearing the judge told him that if he "felt the lease signed was knowingly worded to intentionally keep the plaintiff (myself) from obtaining my security deposit he would, and will without hesitation deem the contract null and void"
Stay away from Tom Dupuis. Find a landlord that has a 2 page lease and 2 pages for your background information. This guy is a total wack and I can't wait to humble him in court when he is told his lease is null and void.
Best of Luck
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/19/2011 01:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Tom-Dupuis/Limerick-Maine-04048/Tom-Dupuis-Thomas-Dupuis-Dishonest-terrible-invasive-and-a-complete-ripoff-of-a-landlor-755045. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.