Complaint Review: Tom Gill Chevrolet

• Reported By: gdissel1 — Walton Kentucky
Tom Gill Chevrolet
7830 Commerce Dr Florence, Kentucky USA

Tom Gill Chevrolet Service is a rip off Florence Kentucky

Well I bought my 99 Suburban in 2009 and I love this truck. It ran good for the first year and then I started having problems. It started misfiring so I did some research and most people said clogged cat. So i ordered a magnaflow cat and had a local shop put it on. They had a hard time starting it but got the cat on and I came and picked it up running like crap and drove it home. Put a new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, cam and crank sensor on and it ran great.

Only problem, somehow the timing chain cover started leaking oil. This is when I took it to Tom Gill in 2010. They replaced the timing chain and cover for about 2 grand. Since then I have visited their service department about 5 times totaling around 7 grand. Around 2011 it started misfiring again took it back they put a 200 dollar spark plug in. A couple months later new distributor at 600 bucks. A couple months later another $200 spark plug. Hmm if plugs keep degrading then obviously there is another issue. To date this is what they have replaced or suggested to replace even though it probably didn't need it:

Timing chain and cover
Oil cooler Lines
Fuel filter and lines
Oil filter adapter gasket
Water pump
Power Steering Pump
Rear brake rotors and shoes.
Total $7000

On my last visit my power steering pump went out. When they got it they said my water pump was weeping so the replaced that $1700. It was still misfiring at the time so they cleared the check engine code and sent me on my way. A month later my plugs couldn't take it no more as I was going up cut in the hill it started to miss real bad unless I was at full throttle. I then limped it home and parked it. So I would say in total I wasted about a thousand dollars trying to fix the misfire and probably about 2 thousand in repairs that I probably didn't need.

My complaint is that I took it to GM for the misfire and it was never diagnosed properly. Instead of saying hey its probably your fuel injection system they instead put a 600 dollar distributor and two 200 dollar spark plugs that didn't solve the problem. When I called them back they said they will charge me another 200 dollars to look at it. Well I am gonna keep my 200 dollars for a proper diagnosis. Tom Gill a business of ripping people off, not character.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/20/2013 08:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Tom-Gill-Chevrolet/Florence-Kentucky-41042/Tom-Gill-Chevrolet-Service-is-a-rip-off-Florence-Kentucky-1100876. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Tom Gill Chevrolet

AUTHOR: Karl - ()

This report is a classic example of a consumer who apparently has no idea of the value of his automobile vice the price of repairs. This is a 1999 Suburban. Depending on miles driven it is not worth anywhere near the amount that you have put into it and you have also taken it to a GM dealer for the service which is much more expensive than finding an independent mechanic. When you first had trouble with the car you should have sold it or traded it in. You would have saved a lot of money in the long run. In the event that this is a restoration project and you plan to take the car to car shows please disregard my remarks. If not dump this lemon before you are in way over your head and have inveasted more than $10,000 in a $3,000 car. You are almost there now.