Complaint Review: Turtle Wax, Inc.

• Submitted: Tue, June 18, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, June 18, 2013

• Reported By: J D — Greensboro North Carolina
Turtle Wax, Inc.
Westmont, Illinois USA

Turtle Wax, Inc. Tires Turn Brown, Yellow or Green after Applying Turtle Wax's "Black Tire Coat" - Virtually Impossible to Remove Westmont Illinois

WARNING: Do not use Turtle Wax's T-10 Black Tire Coat on your tires.  Users report after 1-4 months it turns green, yellow or brown and it's virtually impossible to remove. Here's what I sent to my seller, Amazon.com:

I applied Turtle Wax T-10 Black Tire Coat to the tires on my brand new $57,000 Lincoln MKT. And oh what a shine... then I noticed some overspray on my chrome wheels... when I tried to remove it nothing worked and I was left with a gummy mess.  There was nothing on the product packaging telling how to remove overspray so I checked on Turtle Wax's website and for comments online for any helpful hints.  I was horrified when I found the following comments on You Tube:

1) "thejoe1579-Make a frickin viedo [sic] on how to REMOVE this crap from the tires.

2) 311mikey-Thanks turtle wax your product messed my brand new tires up. cant [sic] get the stuff off,without taking rubber off with it...

3) KipBurbank1-It turned greenish brown after four months and I can't get it off. I used a wire brush, acetone and methyl Ethel keytone [sic] and I still can't get it off. I pressure washed it really close and only little bits come off.

4) Bruce Wayne-At first I did like this product but now I hate it I cant get that stuff off the tire Does someone have a clue on how to remove it[?]

5) Steve McCauley-I let it dry overnight. The first week or so it looked great. But then slowly all 4 tires began to develop this green tinge. Some worse than others. I have now had limited success in removal with a wire grill brush. But that is hard on the tire material.

6) Steve McCauley-I'm sorry, I've used Turtle Wax product[s] before with good results but,...this stuff is AWFUL. Turned my sidewalls green after a week or so. How do I get this stuff off my tires!!!! I've tried sand paper but cannot get it all off. Bug & Tar remover has no effect... Didn't they field test this stuff? (and yes the tires were clean and dry before applying...)" Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXHBVo1xAiU under "All Comments."

Amazon, you get the picture. Do your hapless customers a favor: stop selling this crap! I called Turtle Wax and they said their specialist would call back within 24 hours with a solution on removing the product from my tires & wheels. They got around to it 3 days later with a lame suggestion to use Dawn Dishwashing liquid and a wire brush. I gave them a few suggestions about taking their product off the market.

My car dealer, Green Lincoln in Greensboro, NC, took pity on me and acid-washed the overspray off my chrome wheels gratis.  No effect on the rubber, so I've personally put in 15 hours removing this product from three tires; I still have one to go... seems after scrubbing with tire cleaner and pressure washing the tires the product will rub off with a rag and a lot of elbow grease, but I found that pencil erasers work best.  Yikes... you have been warned!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/18/2013 12:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Turtle-Wax-Inc/Westmont-Illinois-60559/Turtle-Wax-Inc-Tires-Turn-Brown-Yellow-or-Green-after-Applying-Turtle-Waxs-Black-Ti-1060075. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Turtle Wax, Inc.