Complaint Review: TV Auto Sales

• Updated: Tue, August 14, 2012

• Reported By: Wes — Pauline South Carolina United States of America
TV Auto Sales
505 W Wade Hampton Blvd Greer, South Carolina United States of America

TV Auto Sales Terry Varner Sold truck that he had checked by a mechanic and lied about how it only needed spark plugs but I found later that it needed a whole new engine. Greer, South Carolina

I saw a truck at TV Auto Sales that I though looked pretty good.  I was told by the dealer that it was a good truck.  After test driving it I realized there was an engine and air conditioning problem.  After confronting the dealer about it he said he would send it to a mechanic and get it fixed and then let me come back to see how I like it.

After a little less than a week I returned when the dealer told me it had been brought back from the mechanic.  When I talked to the dealer he said that the engine only needed spark plugs replaced and that the mechanic replaced one but I would have to replace the other spark plugs and have someone else look at the air conditioning.  Knowing that this was not that big of a deal I did not think that this was something to be worried about.

I went ahead and decided to test drive the truck again and everything seemed fine as I drove it with the exception of some shaking of the vehicle upon braking.  I knew that was either a rotor or brake pad problem but was a small price to pay for the truck.  After checking everything else on the vehicle, it seemed to be a pretty good vehicle so I decided to buy the truck.

After buying the truck I sent it to a mechanic that we trust to take a look at the truck and take care of any minor problems it may have like the spark plugs or brakes.  I couldn't have the mechanic look at the truck beforehand because he works fairly far away from the dealer where I bought the truck and he didn't have the time to come with me to look at the truck.

When the mechanic looked at the truck he told me that the engine problem was due to a valve spring being broken and causing some issues with the engine which resulted in two of the 6 pistons to not work at all and cause further damage to the engine.  The mechanic said the engine would be very expensive to fix or I would have to get it replaced.  It was not something that the dealer's mechanic could have overlooked and must have told the dealer but the dealer chose to lie to me and tell me it was a spark plug problem.

Upon finding out the bad news from the mechanic my father confronted the dealer about what had happened and the dealer refused to do anything about it.  He said that it was sold as is and he wouldn't do anything despite the fact that he lied in order to have the vehicle sold.

I do not know much about cars and I have never purchased a vehicle before.  Apparently this guy will do anything to sell a vehicle, including lying to potential buyers who may not know as much in order to make a sell.  Do not buy from this guy.  He is a liar and a cheat and will do anything to sell a vehicle and provides no help once you buy the vehicle.  He will try to win you over with all of these stories to make him seem more honest but he is just trying to rip you off!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/14/2012 04:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TV-Auto-Sales/Greer-South-Carolina-29650/TV-Auto-Sales-Terry-Varner-Sold-truck-that-he-had-checked-by-a-mechanic-and-lied-about-how-927276. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TV Auto Sales