Complaint Review: Uhaul

• Reported By: Sean — Folsom California
Uhaul
740 North Broadway East Providence, Rhode Island USA

Uhaul/Ubox Horrible Experience Ubox Ripoff East Providence Rhode Island

I will NEVER EVER use Uhaul again nor would I suggest anyone else use them. I have been without my belongings for roughly 3 weeks now. Here is my story. I was moving from Cranston, RI to Folsom, CA.

I decided that Ubox from Uhaul would be best option for me as it seemed to be the best price and shipped in a fairly decent amount of time. First, I ordered the boxes and requested that they be shipped on a Friday, I received a call stating that they couldn't deliver till that Saturday. So I decided it wasn't that big of a deal and said OK. They deliver, and I had spent that weekend packing. I requested that they be picked up that Monday.

After they were picked up, I received a call from the Ubox representative for the area named Kathy. Speaking with her she specifically asked me if I wanted to ship immediately, I replied with yes. It was Monday, June 17th when they picked up. During the week I had also noticed that my credit card was double charged for pick up. I called the local Uhaul and they stated that Kathy had accidentally charged the card and would be refunding me back for it.

I called that following Monday the 24th to see where the boxes were exactly so I could let everyone know what was going on and when I would be needing help. The customer service office said they couldn't located my order first off. Next, they said that they couldn't tell me where the boxes where as they didn't have tracking on them. When asked why, the reply I got was basically, "We don't have that feature yet".

After saying that it was unacceptable and that someone needed to tell me what was going on they sent a message to the local East Providence, RI location that apparently Ubox operated out of. A few hours later I received a call from the General Manger named Arther. He was following up and asking what the problem was. I simply wanted to know where everything was. He was able to look up in the computer and basically tell me that the boxes had not shipped but couldn't tell me WHY they didn't ship. He mentioned that there was still a balance on the account of $2,900.

After mentioning that the balance could be charged on the account, I then mentioned that I had not received a refund for the pick up. In doing so, Arthur both charged my balance and refunded me for the pick up. He mentioned that he would try and get a truck out there and expedite the shipment within the day or so to pick up the boxes, and he would give me a call on the 25th letting me know what was going on.

On the 25th, I had not received a call from anyone so I called the office they mentioned Arthur was gone for the day and I had asked for someone to call me back.

On the 26th, Kathy finally called me back to follow up with me. She also mentioned that for some reason the balance was still on the account, but that they would be shipping soon and that the 4 business days they had been sitting were part of the 13 business day shipping. I expressed my concern with the fact that I was mentioned originally told 11 business days via phone (Unfortunately, I don't remember WHO told me that but they did) she said NO your contract says 13.

So instead of arguing I still asked about when stuff was going to be picked up and expressed my concern with trying to know when to plan for a moving crew and that I am a little upset. She tried to rush me and over talk me on the phone, like she was trying to get rid of me. She stated that the 13th business day from pick up would be July 5th. And, if I didn't get anything by then I should call her. So I ended the call early as I could see she was just trying to get me off the phone.

On the 28th, I flew out of Rhode Island and made it to California. It was a long flight and landed me down around 11:30 PST (2:30 EST).

On the 29th, I signed for my apartment

On the 1st, I went back to work and decided to call the local Uhaul location. Spoke with Arthur. In doing so, he had informed me that the boxes were STILL at his location. He mentioned he was going to have Kathy call me back but before he could finish his sentence I stated that I didn't want to speak with her as to the way she had acted previously. I proceeded to ask WHAT I could do to facilitate this further. Arthur mentioned that I should honestly call Uhaul and make a complaint to his manager. Arthur said he would call me when he knew when the shipment was scheduled.

I called Uhual Customer Service and made my complaint spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the representative explaining everything. She did mention she saw that it was marked as "Ship Immediately" on the 17th but the date as being picked up was June 20th. I explained the whole story to her and she stated she had taken down my complaint and pushed it over to the regional manager for the RI area. That I didn't need a Reference #, and all I needed was to let them know the phone number on the account. She also stated that someone should be in contact with me within 24-48 hours. Which would put it latest I would get a call is the 3rd. She was very pleasant and I knew it wasn't her fault. So I hung up and went upon with my business.

On the 2nd, I got a call from Arthur telling me that the boxes were being picked up later that day.

On the 3rd, I still had not received a call so I called Customer Service AGAIN. To find out that the representative couldn't find my complaint I had made. At this point, I am starting to get really angry. This is my belongings. Everything I own. No one can tell me where they are. No one can tell me why they haven't shipped yet. Who can be held responsible? After about 20 minutes of silence on the phone, it appears she had found the report and was reading it and all the notes on the account. She mentioned that the only person to speak to would be the Manager of that Manager.

They gave me a phone number and stated that I could speak with them tomorrow the 4th and that the person I would be looking for Peter Olio would be in the office. I wanted to make sure again that basically ONCE the boxes ship the time before I would receive them would be 13 business days (about 17 calendar days). She did confirm that for me. i was also able to find out that the boxes are going to Sacramento which is about 30-40 minutes out of the way and if I want them to be dropped off I need to pay an extra fee for that.

Today is the 4th, I just called the number provided to find out that it doesn't seem to connect me with anyone. So I call customer service again for them to give me another number for the office. I call that just to get a receptionist. Who stated that SHE is the ONLY person in the office today and that no one is back in until Monday the 8th. She said that she "would send an email to Peter Olio" and that I could try back tomorrow the 5th and speak to the vice president, that she "guessed" he would be in.

That means for 5-6 weeks I will be without belongings. I will ALSO have to pay another month for the boxes as I will have them for longer then a month.

Who can be held responsible?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/04/2013 08:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Uhaul/East-Providence-Rhode-Island-02914/UhaulUbox-Horrible-Experience-Ubox-Ripoff-East-Providence-Rhode-Island-1064400. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Uhaul